8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » If you won the lottery would you resurrect Super 8?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: If you won the lottery would you resurrect Super 8?
Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 10, 2016 06:37 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So tonight's Euromillions is £57,000,000. If you had anywhere near that much cash, would you start up Derann II?

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 10, 2016 07:02 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It dépends on how much it would cost to do that.

--------------------
Dominique

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 10, 2016 07:07 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I won that much I would set it up in a triple cinema with on site printing, developing and sound facility. Then use one of the screens to showcase releases. At least if I were a little younger I would! I don't feel up to the negotiations it would need.

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 10, 2016 07:40 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique, I think you'd get change out of 57 million [Big Grin]

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 10, 2016 02:02 PM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derann prospered in the hey-day of Super 8. All the support systems have gone. Nice idea but not practical. If I had Lottery money I'd look seriously at opening or re-opening Cinemas in areas that have the populaion to support one though even that is a risky business. My son and wife went to see the 9.30p.m. showing of 'The Jungle Book'in 3D at his local multi-plex. There were around 20 watching and it cost more than I would want to pay. But if I won the lottery money would be no object.

--------------------
Dave

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 10, 2016 02:15 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I won the lottery I would certainly look for a small ex-cinema building in my home town and restore it as a cinema and there I would run Super 8 amongst other gauges. I might even try 70mm. I'd try to make it a mid-20th century style with box office and concessions etc.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted May 10, 2016 04:29 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would certainly opne that little shop I've long wanted, replete with toys, books and films - dealers can rent shelving space and it would be a retro-active place - In my own silly way, I would keep film alive and thriving - Shorty

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 10, 2016 04:53 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i think i would seriously like to get as many people as needed to be able to find and release a feature film on super 8. i wouldn't care if it sold or not, i would love to be able to say that film on super 8 was available because of me [Big Grin] [Wink]
Be great to get tarantino to let me release the hateful 8 in full scope and stereo, after all he loves reel film.I think with £57million i may even get some change [Big Grin] [Wink]

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 10, 2016 05:00 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone won 73.002.277,00 € today. Hope he reads this forum [Smile]

--------------------
Dominique

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 10, 2016 05:38 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course with that kind of money you could go into film production! Be an investor and make a nice little Horror film or two.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 10, 2016 06:36 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Giving it to people who declare their undying love for 16mm, only to completely overlook the very best portable machine that that their gauge ever produced!

What's all that about????

Today's 16mm activity (or lack of here), only cements what I've always thought regarding those left boasting the gauge, very sadly.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2016 04:54 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...what I's definitely do is, have all movies I'm interested in transferred to s/8 [Wink]

--------------------
Yannis

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 11, 2016 06:49 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd just blow the lot snorting crack cocaine, swallowing MasterCard pills, sniffing petrol and drinking neat gin!! [Wink]

Yeah right. [Mad]

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 11, 2016 01:55 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
R U Kidding?

Immeadiately!

I feel that one can only go into printing brand new titles on super 8 only if they expect to lose money. When We at GIOSI Films releaswed our one and only (at least, as of this time) release, we certainly didn't make back our investment, but we didn't go into it to make that back, because we knew that, if we even wanted to break even, we'd have to charge a good deal more than what was charged.

I gave Steve Osbourne permission to reprint our 'Saturday Morning Madness" release and, even just at the lowest price after sound recording and all, it came to about 130.00 dollars for that 1X400ft 16 minute reel!

We saved a good deal of money on the negative due to making the negative down in L.A. with one of my "cine connections" who happened to have an optical printer at his disposal, and it only cost approximately 300.00 to do the negative and, bless his wonderful heart, he even used a cyan (or other) filter on some of the commercials in a fairly successful attempt to resurrect the color on some of the shorts ... free of charge!

The big cost came doing the test prints in Germany and I insisted on a print being struck on both Acetate and polyester, mute prints, and being that super 8 is printed back to back, that was a total of 4 prints, ( I still have one acetate and one polyester), and that was costly, though I don't remember exactly how much it was. I can tell you for sure, the KODAK VISION polyester stock prints had the much better color, to be sure!

With a cool million, I'd pursue assorted studios and see if it would be possible to release some great old school films first, for instance a scope feature as well as a very well edited 600ft digest of "Dragonslayer", (which has always been a wish-list passion of mine!)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 11, 2016 04:10 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Given enough money I'd definitely open a small theater, maybe buy the Sea Theater in Wildwood.

-just be careful what you wish for: the novelty may not last, but the responsibilities and stress and people problems will stay with you.

About the best you can say is given enough money in your pocket, you could sell it as a loss, buy a sailboat and not worry about it for a minute!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 11, 2016 07:34 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody got any Vera's? ....Lovely! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b2T8K2D-ps

--------------------

Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2016 09:30 PM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid I wouldn't want to handle the responsibilities of running a company or theater, but if I won millions, I would donate to companies who are still around. Maybe that would help them expand and stay in business for a long time. Besides that, I would install a theater in a mid-20th century style, like Steven mentioned, except as a home theater...I'd have to find the right home first, though.
On a different note, there is good news for filmmakers - Super 8 is already resurrected as far as shooting; Many advancements now by the company Pro8mm and many young people are taking interest.

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2016 04:44 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice idea but unfortunately most of the world has moved on... [Frown] Poor things lol.
Best,
Rick

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC