8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » An unpleasant ebay situation ...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: An unpleasant ebay situation ...
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 21, 2016 11:35 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have recently had a dealing with a Richard Burgess that has been fraudulent. Here's the story.

I was selling in the recent past, a 35MM print of "The Three Little Pigs' on ebay, complete with photo's of the actual print unspooled, (so they could see the color and color stock), and in the auction, as I always do with any issues, I stated clearly, "Print has vinegar syndrome". With all thr weeks that we were messaging back and forth on ebay, I can't believe that he didn't read the auction. He knew.

Richard chose to buy the print off ebay from me. Actually, it was a pretty shrewd move as, it keeps him from bidding on ebay and having the auction taken away. This was only the second time that I've ever done this, but I agreed to it, my mistake. He sent me a message back through ebay that he wanted to return it to me. Since I clearly state that all auctions/sales are final, (unless I have honestly missed something on an auction, then I do return funds right away), I chose not to ...

I find today, that his payment was reversed, and he got his whole 150.00 back, stating "Item was not as described" (which it most certainly was), and not only that, but i have not recieved the print back.

If I had at least received the print back, I could put it back up for auction, and make those funds back, but he has the 35MM film print AND his money.

The sad thing is that I didn't even know that there was a dispute and the reason for this was that the e-mail address paypal used as the primary e-mail address was the one that is on my old hacked account that is no longer available, and even though I have my new e0-mail address, it only sends e-mail to the primary address, and you can't delete or alter the primary address, so i had no idea that this was going on.

I have obtained the paypal phone number and will call them on Monday.

Beware of this buyer/seller.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2016 12:04 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've not had as bad an experience as this but I do sympathise with you. eBay is very biased towards buyers which is very unfair. What happened to the old adage 'buyer beware'. Not that there should be some protection against unprincipled sellers, but the payment reversal should only be allowed after a case has been opened and thoroughly investigated and a judgement made.
I'm afraid eBay has become less and less attractive for sellers - what with increased regulation and fees - they should not forget that sellers are their bread & butter and fleecing them for all they can get is not the way to go.
How I wish there was a credible alternative to eBay.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 21, 2016 12:16 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the sad thing is that I wish i hAD sold this on ebay and NOT chosen to sell it off ebay, as, then, I would have auction itself as proof that the item was in fact, as described, and then, the buyer couldn't do this.

At least, if i had received the print back, I could have resold it and recouped my loss.

--------------------

Evan Samaras
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2016 05:43 PM      Profile for Evan Samaras   Author's Homepage   Email Evan Samaras   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Osi,

Have you tried to contact Rich? On the occasions I have had contact with him he sounded like a reasonable person. He even stepped in and did a nice repair job on my 16mm projector at Sam Mishua 's (original seller) expense. If you need a contact number reach out to me.

[ May 21, 2016, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: Evan Samaras ]

--------------------
...When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth...

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted May 21, 2016 07:28 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EBay's return policy SUCKS! The money should NOT be returned until the print it returned to the seller. Then and ONLY then should ebay refund the money. However, when this does happen the buyer is monitored by ebay to see if it is done again. As in a way to get free prints.

I had this happen to me also when I sold a Blue Hawaii 16mm feature on 2x2000' reels. The buyer said one reel was missing. The box he claimed wasn't opened. he said I only sent him one reel. yep, ebay refunded him in full and he got to keep the print. A free Elvis film. Ebay is too big to worry about the smaller sellers.

Ever sellers with FB of 23K and 100-200 negatives in one month are still allowed to sell. Go figure. I feel for you Osi. !50.00 lost and a film to boot.

Be well

PatD

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2016 09:01 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the film was sold off of eBay then how did he get his money back thru eBay? I'm confused on this one.

Bill [Confused]

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted May 21, 2016 09:42 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Under the "buyer protection plan" ebay always finds for the buyer. If you don't respond in the time allotted they refund the money to the buyer and deduct it from your paypal acct. if there is not enough money in that acct if it is linked to your bank acct it come out of it. It can ever create an overdraft to cover the amt. It's not fair but the sellers don't have much choice. Not a good policy. Ebay protects the buyer but the seller has no recourse at all.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2016 09:51 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right I understand eBay's messed up policies as I have stopped selling anything over 10 dollars but in this case Osi said he took it off of eBay and sold it directly to the buyer and bypassed the auction....if this is the case then why would eBay refund the buyer? It wasn't an eBay transaction, or was it?

Bill [Confused]

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 21, 2016 10:00 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps it was just PayPal that refunded the money...not Ebay. Didn't know they could do that.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2016 10:06 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes that's true, I didn't think of it that way.

Bill [Smile]

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2016 01:37 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard Burgess is on the 16mm film talk forum. He seems to be some kind of projector repair person.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 23, 2016 11:43 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
update :

to address one of the questions on here, the money was returned by paypal and not ebay, (I am assuming that, it would make sense, as it was sold off ebay).

... but this is what the person stated concerning the print ...

statement #1

" Hi there,Thanks for the quick shipment of The Three Pigs. However, I am afraid the print has vinegar syndrome. On arrival, it has a real bad VS odor and it is also shrinking and warped.I can keep it but I will need a huge reduction or I will have to return it for refund. It is going to completely decompose in the next year or so and will no longer be runnable.I have checked the print completely now and the warp and shrinkage is only worse now. I don't think I can take a chance on the decomposition. In this condition, I am afraid worth next to nothing. I throw prints like this out when they get and smell a little to avoid contamination to other film.Please issue a complete refund. I wish I had a better report.Rich "

(He also had his phone number at the end of this statement, but to insure his privacy, I left it off).

Here is the second one ...

" I have contacted the seller directly and through PayPal and have had no response. The film arrived warped and shrunk on inspection and stinking to a high amount of vinegar syndrome. The film will be probably decompose completely in a year and be unrunable. The seller never mentioned any of this to me. I want to return this film for a total refund.Thanks,Rich Burgess "

He never contacted me directly and as to the statement that I didn't mention any of this (VS condition), the ebay auction clearly stated "Film has vinegar syndrome". His ebay name "filmarchive" would seem to intimate that he is a person who would READ a description before even approaching to buy, so i highly doubt that in the week and half when we were negotiating price on ebay messages, that he didn't completely peruse the whole description. It is possible, however unlikely.

As to it being warped, if there was any warp, it had to be the slightest if any, as, before selling it, I had a friend (who has a 35MM projector) screen it for me and it was absolutely brilliant in projection. It CERTAINLY is not a candidate for the dust bin, and if he has done that already, than he certainly should not get his money back, as i would certainly, if not having my money returned to me, would certainly demand the print back.

BTW I unfortunately deleted the original ebay auction for this that I had, and i can't seem to retrieve it. If anybody on this forum, happened to be watching it, and would astill have the auction in thier watch list, put a link to it on this series of posts, if possible. I would appreciate it.

I have just been off the phone with paypal, and due to the circumstances, (hacked e-mail account and i was never able to address the dispute), they have opened an appeal on the dispute and I will be able to address this, so the ball is rolling.

OSI

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 23, 2016 11:51 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi
Your purchaser obviously knows about films and projectors, this is evident from his eBay site.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/filmarchive/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1
I wish you luck with this matter and hope it will be better resolved.

--------------------
Maurice

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 23, 2016 12:33 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

Have you tried emailing Richard and asking him what's going on here?

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 23, 2016 01:24 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"the money was returned by paypal and not ebay"

So did you get your money back, Osi?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 24, 2016 11:56 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My appeal was just opened yesterday, so i don't know yet.

Hi Micheal! Good to hear from you. Unitl just today, i hadn't wrote him, (except for when we were actually doing the transaction), but I did write him back (on ebay) just today, asking, "hey, where is my 35MM print? You get you're money back, but I don't get my print back?"

Somethings wrong there ...

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 28, 2016 04:55 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi,

Any update on this?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 28, 2016 11:42 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm happy to say that, while I was not sucessful in my appeals ion this case (paypal just sent back automatic/computer generated messages and i wouldn't be surprised if a human never even looked at the case) ...

I was able to get ahold of the buyer and he has mailed me back my film print, (it's in the mail), so I'm at least happt that i have a second chance to sell the print, but this time, I'll just stick with selling it on ebay, instead of attempting to sell off of ebay as I did.

The thing that really bugs me is that Richard was told, after having received his money back, to keep the film print! I have no reason to doubt his word on this, (as i researched the fellow and he has been a decent and reliable seller for 40 years), it ticks me off that paypal would actually say such a think.

So, to conclude ...

I'll see if i can change the title on the beginning post to something different, as, this buyer is not some one to beware of.

a decent ending to this scenario. My apologies to Mr. Richard Burgess, as this was more a situation of mis-communication on both sides and no fraud on his part. You see, i can admit when I'm wrong.

Thanks for asking Michael! [Smile]

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 28, 2016 11:48 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi
That's good news.
When you do eventually re-advertise on eBay please give us a link to the sale.

--------------------
Maurice

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2016 03:17 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of us have followed this with interest Osi and It's good that it worked out well in the end.

--------------------
Dave

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC