8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The Romance Is Missing (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: The Romance Is Missing
William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2016 11:13 AM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's been so much written in this forum about film vs digital video. I feel that the debate sidesteps a significant aspect. Where's the romance? What I mean is, given the ease and availability of current technology, the feeling of things being special is gone. Now that anyone can make a movie with their phone, the process and the end results are an ordinary everyday thing. It's difficult to put the feeling I have about this into words. Perhaps other forum members get what I mean and can express it better than I can.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2016 11:22 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]

[ June 02, 2016, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: Bill Phelps ]

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2016 12:52 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps the answer lies in the fact that you are not watching your digital movies on the big screen in a darkened room, i.e. a home cinema. I cannot "get into" a film watching it on a TV. Too many distractions. Re creating as far as possible the atmosphere of a cinema does it for me, and makes all the difference. The really sad thing about the march of technology is that most amateurs just shoot "animated snapshots" with no plot or story line etc. How people can watch a film on a mobile phone, tablet or computer is beyond my comprehension. It is like trying to watch a cine film on an editing screen!! Ken Finch.

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2016 01:12 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree with Ken -- digital has to be projected on a big screen in a darkened home cinema with a full-blown sound system for the impact. That's absolutely where the "romance" you refer to comes into play. Otherwise watching digital media on an ordinary TV is, well, just that -- watching TV.

Believe me, the "feeling of things being special" is absolutely there when digital is projected in a home cinema -- and this is coming from a decades-long and current film collector. Once I saw that the "thou shalt remain wedded to only film even if other technologies happen along" argument as laughably futile and overwrought, I quickly came to realize that there has never been a better time to be in the collecting/screening hobby. I waited decades to build a proper home theatre because I didn't want to limit the options for my screenings to only the relatively small number of shorts, digests and features that were made available on Super 8 and now have been in circulation for up to 50 years. (Just as one example, we collectors have been talking about the very same [and now faded] digests for 40 to 50 years. I don't know about you, but I'm not getting any younger, and I want access to much broader options for screening all sorts of movies.)

I've never looked back, and I respectfully suggest that others do the same so as to not waste one's remaining days by constantly looking in the rear-view mirror and pining for the past.

[ May 22, 2016, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: John Hourigan ]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 22, 2016 02:39 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
When it comes to watching films and other special events, I too agree wholeheartedly with John and Ken's comments here.

In the right conditions and atmosphere, I love either method for viewing a film or indeed a movie.

Nothing surpasses the tactile event that can only be from projecting film for someone who is an enthusiast of the medium, but the enjoyment gained from the experience is unparalleled in my opinion when it's a quality projected image, no matter what technology brings it to screen.

This era is amazing for movie lovers given the options available to nearly all of us now.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2016 02:54 PM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say that showing blu-rays on my 6ft screen in a darkened room with surround sound makes it just as special as seeing the same thing at the Cinema. A boring film on a 70ft wide screen is no different if it's only 6ft. I recently saw the new Star Wars film in 3D and Imax projected by laser at the Empire, Leicester Square, London. I found the whole experience overwhelming and intimidating. 'Hateful 8' at the nearby Odeon in 70mm with a packed audience in a single screen cinema was a great experience. Can't say I was too fussed with the film but the old pleasure as the lights dimmed and the two sets of curtains opened was very real. And the manager told me they'd presold 1000 tickets for the evening performance. I suppose what I'm trying to say is film for warm nostalgia and digital for functional enjoyment. There's a place for both.

--------------------
Dave

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 22, 2016 03:28 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As much as I love film projection in the home, there is no way that I would want to go back to pre-digital projection days. The quality now obtainable from projected blu ray and upscaled DVD'S is as good as anything in the commercial cinema. My home cinema never looked or sounded so good.
A mix of film and digital gives you the best of everything. Throw in curtains, powered masking, preshow cinema music, and you have all the ambience of the cinema as we remember it.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 22, 2016 04:34 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I did any serious kind of home cinema there's no way I wouldn't include video projection: there's just too much out there to ignore.

-nor would I ever exclude film projection: that's my hobby!

We've often said this before: you have various film conventions all over the world and people are crossing continents and even oceans to attend.

-as reliable, cheap and easy to use as digital video is, it's kind of hard to be that passionate about it!

I once restored an old car: for the first couple of weekends I drove it I barely made it back to the driveway, then I'd work on it and it slowly got better: I loved that about it!

Three years back I bought a Honda Civic. I turn the key, it starts, it gets me where I'm going without the least fuss and I went about two years before I opened the hood. (Windshield washer fluid was empty...)

-I love that too....just differently!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2016 04:36 PM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think my original point is misunderstood. I was referring to the creative desire and the creative process. The technology has turned virtually everyone into 'filmmakers' simply because they can. There's a TV commercial for the iPhone that shows a girl who videos someone cutting up an onion. The video gains instant popularity to the point where it wins a major award (presumably an Oscar). The point of the commercial is that anyone could be an award winning filmmaker with an iPhone. I see it more as lowering our standards of quality and giving recognition where it isn't necessarily due. Kind of like handing out awards to kids on a sports team just for showing up.

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2016 04:57 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
But how is that any different than us shooting Super 8 films when we were kids/teenagers (given that was the technology of the day)? Is "the creative desire and the creative process" as well as filmmaking only supposed to be for an elite few??

Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2016 05:04 PM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think my original point is misunderstood. I was referring to the creative desire and the creative process. The technology has turned virtually everyone into 'filmmakers' simply because they can. There's a TV commercial for the iPhone that shows a girl who videos someone cutting up an onion. The video gains instant popularity to the point where it wins a major award (presumably an Oscar). The point of the commercial is that anyone could be an award winning filmmaker with an iPhone. I see it more as lowering our standards of quality and giving recognition where it isn't necessarily due. Kind of like handing out awards to kids on a sports team just for showing up.
YES, exactly. And I said this in the other thread.

quote:
But, except for the technology, how is that any different than us shooting Super 8 films when we were kids/teenagers? Is "the creative desire and the creative process" as well as filmmaking only supposed to be for an elite few??
No, it's actually totally different. Today with the instant praise of "likes" on social media, mediocrity is rewarded as talent. Just look at Instagram and digital still photography. Even with Super 8, the filmmaking took more real talent. And there was no "instant" praise a click away to boost your ego. And if you were really good, and serious, you most likely graduated to 16mm. With both Super 8 and 16mm, you needed real drive, and determination. And it cost money. It took more labor, and it was a greater investment in time. So you had to think more carefully about what you were doing; what you wanted to accomplish and how to get there.

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2016 05:13 PM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well said.

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2016 05:19 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, but In terms of the "creative process," I've seen some really bad Super 8-shot productions that are easily trumped even by my daughter's class projects that she shot with a video camera and edited on a MacBook.

The use of any format itself doesn't automatically determine whether it's creative or not. In my professional life, we shoot national broadcast spots at 24 fps, with directors who have directed feature films in the film format in their past lives. These directors have said to me that today's digital technology allows them to be much more creative than film ever allowed them to be. Their words, not mine, and they know more about what they're talking about.

Film is great, but let's not over-romanticize it --

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted May 22, 2016 05:20 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any romance is of your own creation with a smattering of aid from the filmmakers - Think of it as a theatre, filled to capacity, the lights do down (now, right there you can't feel that atmosphere anywhere else) - The screen lights with attractions, previews and the story itself - No, motion pictures will always live and the romance therein will never die - Shorty

Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2016 05:29 PM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sorry, but I've seen some really bad Super 8-shot productions that are easily trumped even by my daughter's class projects that she shot with a video camera and edited on a MacBook.

And where did I say that all Super 8 films made before the advent of "digital cinema" were good? Not eveyone became a star (not everyone had the intention either). We are talking about the process. Many who did want to be filmmakers for a living crashed and burned - of course. But it certainly did separate the wheat from the chaff when it came to to those who had the real determination and or talent to succeed. This is not about "over romanticizing" film. Not at all. And it's kind of amazing how you keep missing the points being made.

Digital video is a crutch. And I'm glad you brought up people who worked in film before the advent of digital video. That is a very salient point. These people have already proven themselves with film. The real problems lie with those with no film experience whatsoever (though even veterans with real filmmaking process experience can fall prey to being bedazzled by digital this and digital that and losing their way (George Lucas, anyone?)).

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2016 05:50 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Raleigh, but I was simply responding to your statement that "Even with Super 8, the filmmaking took more real talent." And I would tend to place more weight in the comments and experiences of professional Hollywood directors who have worked in both formats over the decades -- believe me, the ones I've worked with don't think of digital as a "crutch," particularly when their creative livelihoods and reputation are at stake.

Not everything that is new is automatically bad.

Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2016 06:38 PM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh but it did. It did take more talent to succeed - a point you keep ignoring. And not *everyone* working in the business for "40 years" is a talent either. I think that goes without saying. Hollywood is full of hacks, both greater and lesser, and yes, even some talent. Digital technology isn't in and of itself bad, it's the way it's being used, in my opinion - as a substitute for real skills and knowledge of craft, from which - when mixed with creativity - can spring real artistry. Here is something I wrote in relation to digital still photography. If you cannot comprehend that digital video/photography is a crutch for people with no experience in film, both still and motion, I don't know what would convince you. If that is the case, stay in your circle...you know the one....

I don't pretend to be a talented photographer, or a photographic artist. I just snap photos with my iPhone, and that's it. You, and so many others like you, because of digital cameras (and the instant praise of social media), think that suddenly you are the new Ansel Adams or Dorothea Lange. Lighting steel wool on fire and spinning it around in the air to make pretty little sparkles and lines during a long "exposure", or playing with smoke and fire, does not an artist or talent make. You and everyone like you are posers. What the hell is so cool about those smoke bomb photos you take? NOTHING. The one with the guy burning the playing card? So what! You neither necessarily have a great eye nor artistry. You (and the others like you) rely on gimmicks. You want to really be considered talented? Put down your enabling digital camera, and pick up a REAL 35mm film camera. Buy film. Pay for developing (or better yet, process the film in a darkroom, YOURSELF). You won't be able to rely on unlimited attempts and the easiness of being able to "delete". Your resources will be more limited and you will have to THINK about what you're actually doing, because the film and processing (and chemicals and light sensitive paper) cost money, and you won't have instant access to see what you have just done, and do over. You'll have to really plan, and know light, and exposure times, and film types, and lenses. You will have to know how to be creative in the darkroom instead of relying on digital processors to do the work for you. Then, and only then, might you and all the rest like you, perhaps be revealed to have real talent. The digital camera age has made it so that anyone and their dog can run out and claim to be a photographer, filmmaker, or talent with artificial ease.

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2016 06:48 PM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Neither is everything that's old automatically bad. This thread seems to have touched a lot of nerves. Everyone here has valid points. I do feel that there is a discipline to be learned from working with film. Stanley Kubrick began as a still photographer. The knowledge he gained in the darkroom, learning about the properties of different lenses, various film stocks, and types of lighting all contributed to the unique visual style of his cinematic work.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2016 06:51 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]

[ June 02, 2016, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: Bill Phelps ]

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2016 07:27 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Raleigh -- actually your comments are proving my earlier point about worrying more about the format for the sake of the format. Given apparently even Hollywood directors' experience and expertise do not appear to rise to the level of your expertise when it comes to the merits of film and digital, I'll let your comments stand as proof points to my earlier assertion that in some circles, it's format for strictly format's sake.

I've learned to enjoy what all the formats have to offer from 40-plus years of film collecting, and nothing beats a movie night (no matter the format) with a nice Kentucky Bourbon and a screening audience made up of family and friends.

Life is too short to be pedantic about things that are not life threatening -- enjoy it all, I say!

Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2016 07:44 PM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WHOOSH. Things seem to really fly over your head.

Goodbye. You'll apparently never get it.

Kenneth Horan
Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2016 07:54 PM      Profile for Kenneth Horan   Email Kenneth Horan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Christopher I agree with you 100%. I've been working in film for decades. I use digital technology now because it's easy and cheap. Digital video was chosen because of this. Film does indeed take real knowledge and talent. Film denotes quality. That is why people, even in the film industry, will say they're "filming" when they really are just recording cheaper digital video. Digital enables hacks, especially with all the dumbed-down morons on social media that give their "likes" to anything. The public is just dumbed-down by the media so they accept digital as the "be-all, end-all" technology.

--------------------
Ken Horan

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2016 09:06 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Raleigh referenced this in the other thread: Walter Benjamin's "The Work of Art in The Age of Mechanical Reproduction"

http://ada.evergreen.edu/~arunc/texts/frankfurt/benjamin/benjamin.pdf

It's not an easy read (delves into Marx, capitalism, fascism, etc) but there are some interesting points. Like a lot of things you can take it more than one way. I can see it being used to frame digital as just another step in the evolution of mechanical reproduction, and also as another disruptive technology that is taking the art of creating images in a new direction.

One of the things mentioned was that there was a time when there was a debate over whether or not photography should be considered art. It was just a mechanical reproduction of what was already there after all. Where was the creativity? Of course we know that there can be tremendous amounts of artistry in photography, or none at all, depending on the photograph. One important thing though is that photography allowed people who couldn't paint be creative in another way.

Digital does the same thing. Yes, a lot more images and a lot more movies get created without much effort and without much artistry because it's so easy and so cheap. Maybe some people end up with a false sense of their own level of talent but if so, it won't last long. Most people understand that getting "likes" is not the same as getting paid.

Digital provides some avenues for success to people that wouldn't have had the resources to succeed in film. Talented people. Just like Super 8 introduced movie making to kids like Steven Spielberg who may not have gotten into it had Kodak not saw fit to make movie making available to the masses. This is good thing. Yes, a lot more crap gets produced too. No one is forcing anybody to watch it.

The artistry behind making a great film may not be the same as the artistry behind making a great video. There are different skills between the two (and some overlap).

Raleigh M. Christopher
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2016 09:33 PM      Profile for Raleigh M. Christopher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, at least *one* person took the time to read that.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 01, 2016 12:27 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I certainly agree John with you're point about more creative freedom with digital. Much more cost affective. As many takes as you want with actors and you can edit it very easily on you're own home PC (with a proper editing program). Heck, you can even add a layer of "film grain" for a certain desired effect when necessary ...

but I'm an old curmungeon, and theere's nothing I like more than watching "Big Business" or "Double Whoopee' (both 1929) on an old standard 8mm projector, and I'm instantly taken back to an audience in 1929. I think it's the "analogue" connection with those "days gone by years" ... viewing and holding something organic, which is impossible with digital ...

... on the other hand, i must confess that if I had the money to blow, I'd shoot my features on some high end 16MM scope, no matter what the cost!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC