8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Chaplin At Keystone

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chaplin At Keystone
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 28, 2016 05:33 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 34 surviving films which Charlie Chaplin made at Keystone in 1914 are available as 4-disc DVD set running over nine hours.
Painstakingly restored at the correct speed with new orchestral accompaniment, the set also includes the feature "Tillie's Punctured Romance".

This is the work of the British Film Institute and the set includes many extras including an excerpt from Chaplin's 35th film. Also included is a stills gallery and an illustrated booklet.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charlie-Chaplin-at-Keystone-DVD/dp/B002EAKWDO

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted May 28, 2016 06:20 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Maurice, I`ve missed this one. A must have by the look of it.

Anyone got them, projected them ?

Best Mark.

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2016 08:01 PM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...are there any of those that haven't been released in either Std or S-8?

--------------------
Yannis

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 29, 2016 06:37 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not an easy question to answer, Yanis, because so many of the early Chaplin films often appeared severely edited and with new titles.
This DVD set has each Keystone release in chronological order of production and because of this the Chaplin "character" can be seen evolving as 1914 wore on.
An interesting revue can be read below:-
http://www.philposner.com/chaplin_at_keystone.htm

--------------------
Maurice

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted May 30, 2016 11:46 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only one which isn't, HER FRIEND THE BANDIT ("Mabel's Flirtation") is the alternate re-release title - The others were available in both gauges - TWENTY MINUTES OF LOVE, was distributed by Imperial Films, Glenn Photo and Breakspear - CRUEL CRUEL LOVE (Glenn Photo and Breakspear) - HIS FAVORITE PASTIME (Glenn Photo, T-Bird and Bouchard) - MABEL'S STRANGE PREDICAMENT (Glenn Photo and Bouchard) - MABEL AT THE WHEEL (Bouchard) - A FILM JOHNNIE was (Film Classic Exchange/Bouchard/ and T-Bird) - MABEL'S BUSY DAY (Film Classic Exchange/Glenn Photo and T-Bird) -The others were of Blackhawk origin - RECREATION was a split-reel, a/k/a 'Spring Fever' - MAKING A LIVING, KID AUTO RACES/A BUSY DAY were generated with scored from Blackhawk - Shorty

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2016 07:07 PM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks both for the info!

--------------------
Yannis

Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2016 09:42 PM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the set and I'm happy with it. It's really a definitive DVD of Chaplin Keystone films and I really appreciate the restoration and packaging. My Charlie Chaplin collection on home video can be complete thanks to this set, but it can take years to find all his Keystone films on Super 8.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 06, 2016 05:52 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just received my set and it looks very impressive with its 58 page fully illustrated booklet which details each film and a long introduction.
It's very nice to see amongst the very many people associated with this BFI project the name of Josephine Chaplin, one of Sir Charles' daughters.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC