8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Features On 8mm & 16mm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Features On 8mm & 16mm
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 19, 2016 05:27 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As an ex 16mm mobile operator and later, a film society secretary, I would have welcomed such a book as I have now obtained from the U.S. via Amazon. Bought mainly for nostalgia, I am amazed what was available to U.S. 16mm (and 8mm) users in 1974.

"Feature Films On 8mm and !6mm" is a fourth edition of 1974 by James L. Limbacher and was published by R.R. Bowker Co., NewYork, N.Y. Called a directory of feature films (and serials) which were available for rental, sale, and lease in the United States.

The book is a hard-back weighing 1k and measures 28cm x 22cm x 3cm and has 368 pages. More than 15,000 films are listed together with 191 companies and distributors.

Each film is alphabetically listed and includes Country (if not U.S.), original 35mm distributor, running time, colour or b/w, scope, gauge, main stars, director, R.L.S. (rental/lease/sale), code of distributor/s. (Regretfully, no synopsis.)

It really is a formidable piece of work, and as the author says, "no distributor was paid for inclusion, all information was obtained from current library catalogues."

Does any U.S. member remember these books and when did they start and end publication? I see that later issues also incorporated the words "and Videotape". The last I can find via Google is from 1982 and now the book had grown to 512 pages!

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2016 11:05 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got the 1979 edition,448 pages.  -

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 19, 2016 01:08 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Had it have ran well into the 90's and included the UK company Derann, surely the list would have been well over 600!

Shame about the inclusion of video tape though!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC