8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Anton Yelchin is Dead

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anton Yelchin is Dead
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 20, 2016 01:03 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anton Yelchin, who is Chekhov in the new Star Trek features is dead at age 27. Apparently he parked his car on a hill in his driveway and when he got out it rolled downhill with him and crushed him against a fence.

What a terrible thing for somebody so young and with such potential to be lost this way.

I may not be very good at being a traditionalist, but I've always liked his take on Chekhov even better than Walter Koenig's. I've known a lot of Russian people over the years (I've been there four times.) and as much as I treasure the original Chekhov, I always thought it was a little too much a caricature and no real Russian would be fooled! ("NUCLEARRRR WWWESSELS!!!")

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2016 02:49 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I was sorry to see that on the news yesterday...I never saw the new Star Trek movies, but I really liked him in the Fright Night remake and Burying The Ex. A real shame...

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 20, 2016 03:03 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are going to see any of them, see the first (2009) one, it does a good job honoring the original series, and succeeds in taking it further.

-the second one? Well, they did a re-spin of Spock's death at the end of "Wrath of Khan" that to me reeked of cheesy knockoff.

The casting of these movies is great: Kirk, Spock and McCoy are obviously who they are trying to be. Chris Pine does Shatner, without overdoing Shatner. (Can't be easy...)

Chekhov comes across differently: he is very much the under-aged Russian genius barely out of the Academy. He isn't the original ("KEPTIN!!! I don't undertstaaaaannnd!!!!"), but he feels genuine.

The third feature is complete and awaiting release this Summer. It looks like they're fixin' to wreck the ship: that should be interesting come the fourth one!

Star Trek Beyond

--------------------

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2016 04:28 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anton Yelchin's death is a tragedy compounded by his young age and that he was his parents only child.

Steve, Walter Koenig's parents were both Russian and Walter has stated he based Checkov's accent on his father's.

You are also being WAY too hard on his acting which is nothing like what you describe.

Also, Chris Pine is not "doing Shatner". Pine has said he just took the character traits of James Kirk and did his own thing.

The same goes for every cast member of the "new" Trek movies. No one is imitating the previous actors. They don't need to.

This long time Trek fan found Into Darkness to be very entertaining, especially in 3D!

If there is a fourth Trek movie, rest assured the Enterprise will soar again. You know, the ship HAS been destroyed before!

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 20, 2016 06:29 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas,

I never said Walter Koenig's Chekhov was terrible, I said I preferred Anton Yelchin's. It's just if I ran into somebody in Novosibirsk, Moscow or Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk that sounded like that I'd say "He sounds like Walter Koenig!" and start to wonder why.

As far as Chris Pine's Kirk, there are little hints of William Shatner in there, motions of the head, inflections of his speech, just enough: nowhere near parody. Personally, I like it as he's done it. If he said he wasn't trying to do Shatner, that's fine. (Hanna-Barbera also said Yogi Bear wasn't named after Yogi Berra.)

If I saw the new McCoy in a suit and tie instead of a Starfleet uniform, I'd still say "That guy looks and sounds just like McCoy!" The resemblance is that close.

-ditto for the new Spock: even without the bowl haircut and pointy ears!

For these three characters the resemblance is a lot closer than for the rest of the cast. We basically needed to be told this was Scotty, for example. (For sentimental reasons James Doohan is more my favorite here, but I like Simon Pegg in the role.)

What's funny is how much it cuts both ways, my son's introduction to Star Trek was the new series. One day I was watching the Original Series and Shatner and Nimoy were on screen. He looked at it and said "They look like Kirk and Spock!"

Once again: I'm not saying I didn't like "Into Darkness" at all, I just preferred the first one. That death scene didn't sit well with me at all. I would have preferred they not cut it so close to Wrath of Khan.

I'm basically in agreement with the "even movie" theory on the first six, although I don't hate any of them!

-all opinion, of course! You can disagree completely and I will be fine with that. It's not even a matter of right and wrong: just preference.

An old girlfriend of mine basically labeled me a heretic for liking Star Trek, the Next Generation. Fortunately I got to the girl I eventually married while she still didn't have Star Trek...doctrines!

--------------------

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2016 07:40 PM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So shocking and so sad. Nobody deserves to die in such a horrible way. It makes you think about how fleeting life can be.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC