8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The Island 1980

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Island 1980
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 16, 2016 03:55 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After reading Tom review of the Universal 8 2/400ft of "The Island" it reminded me of when and for a while I owned a copy long long ago. Tom if you are reading this, was the Super8 digest masked top and bottom?.

Anyway, strange at it seems I came across the Blu-ray of "The Island" and as I had never seen the full length film on its release this cheap Blu-ray would be worth the watch.

Well if you are expecting your usual ho ho ho pirate film that the kids can watch, this is "not" it. It has a R16 rating and for good reason, its very violent. However I found it amusing to watch the many British actors dressed up as pirates, more known to me to be seen on later TV series.

The Island is a 80s type B movie, but in saying that the Blu-ray picture quality is excellent, they have even given it a DTS 5:1 soundtrack, although I don't quite get Ennio Morricone music, as for me it does not seem to match this type of gory film. [Roll Eyes]

Anyway for all its faults in "The Island" and there are plenty, I found myself riveted right to the end, unlike watching the latest Star Wars film recently where I found myself dozing off zzzzzz [Big Grin] ...here are a couple of screen shots from last night.

-
 -
 -

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 16, 2016 04:10 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Wot..no negative sparkle! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

I hope Vidar doesnt clock this one Graham, it'd tip him over the edge. The guy would be having cold sweats! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Joking aside, beautiful screenshots there Graham!! [Smile] [Smile]

I bet they didn't come from your old PLV 1.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 16, 2016 05:51 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahoy me Hearties

Yo Ho Ho Andrew they came from Ye old Panasonic PT-AX200E which is not even the full HD [Smile]

Arrrr just one more from last night [Roll Eyes]

-

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 16, 2016 05:52 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the great screen shots Graham. A few months back I saw a 16mm copy of The Island offered on Ebay. As much as I'm a big Michael Cain fan....I had never heard of this movie so passed on it. Now after your post...I'm going to check it out on digital. I have a non-prejudicial open media policy at my house too [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 16, 2016 06:03 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The AX range are excellent machines though Graham!
Barely noticeable that they aren't full HD when fed a quality feed from a decent Blu Ray source!

Nice shots anyhow Graham, even without the negative sparkle! [Wink]

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 17, 2016 04:29 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent Graham, yes this was a strange movie, i know Michael Caine did do many movies he was offered for "the job", like every actor he was paid to make his living and i think if it wasn't for him in this movie it would have passed unnoticed.
As i enjoy a horror film i saw the Bill Davidson's review of this title and he also stated this was not your typical pirate movie, and this super 8 2 x 400 print offered by Universal did,(at the time of release), contain a few seconds of extra footage cut from its first cinema release. Although by todays standard it is very tame.
An enjoyable,even if scilly, movie in this super 8 format. I am not too sure of Ennio Morricone's choice for doing the music to this movie either but Graham, looking at your screen shots from that disc just makes me question even more why i continue to buy super 8 with its scratches, fade & splices.(unless you pay hundreds for one title).
Thanks for reminding me of this cut down, i shall take a look at it soon.
At the end of August we begin our programme of watching every print we have, all 432 titles and all 115 promos trailers and ad reels. What we will do after this time is still unsure at present. I am for keeping what we have and maybe sell to a reduced number to perhaps get hold of some better modern features, or,
I still think super 8 is in its prime for prices. I believe within a number of years the big prices may start to reduce. We are definatly seeing some hardcore collectors here selling off their excellent and hard to come by titles and getting some handsome sums. Do they know something we dont? Why else would you sell such sought after movies? [Wink]
Looking at Grahams screenshots here it does make you think.
By the way, i will repeat as i always do, i am cine through and though, we will certainly not be clearing out our collections,(although we did think about it recently), we still love the way super 8 is shown full stop, that won't change, what Graham illustrates here is just how good the digital age has become and as he states, this isnt even HD. (And 4K soon). [Wink]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 17, 2016 06:03 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
We have been looking at these same images for donkeys years Tom.
Panasonic really are,or certainly were, market leaders in top notch quality affordable video projection for the masses.
(Nothing new for a while now from them.)
The image quality from any machine after the 700 series is staggeringly good!

See timeline on their evolution from 2001 -2012
http://www.panasonic.net/avc/projector/special/home_cinema_projector/

Even 4k projectors for the home have been around for a number of years now.

Doesn't make me once want to sell any of my films though, not for one minute!
(Did that once when I had no option and regretted it ever since.)

Nor does it make me stop wanting to buy any new titles no matter how expensive they become.

Film is film, video is video.
Chalk is chalk and cheese will always be .....well, cheese! [Wink]

Embrace both, that's what I say. Both offer a completely different experience and enjoyment.
Only one is tactile, only one is simplistic in its presentation.
Both have plusses, both leave you missing something if you have one without the other!

So chalk your chalkboard to your hearts content and continue eating and enjoying your fine selection of cheeses. [Wink]

[ July 17, 2016, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2016 05:27 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew - BRILLIANTLY PUT! The bottom half of your posting says it all! Yes,we DO live in an era where there is equipment available that can make us see and here films better than super 8 can accommodate..... but super 8 is super 8......
It's a bit like the argument as to whether showers are better than having a bath. All the evidence re cleanliness,lower amount of water used, more economical etc point to showers being better......but I like my bath......END OF !

Tom - Take heed of Andrew's words. To take a line from Messrs Lennon & McCartney, Andrew is very much "speaking words of wisdom" Maybe your marathon film run through starting August will re-ignite the spark you know you once had.You don't accidentally buy THAT many films on a wim ! Let them sit forever more side by side with your Blu Ray and 4K discs and enjoy all. We WILL forgive you!

As far as the main title of this thread is concerned.... The Island.... It's been in my collection for many a year, purchased at one of Derek's open days in Dudley.It left me stunned the first time I saw it! Very graphic! Good quality print and sound.Must dig it out again 'coz I have not seen it for a little while....

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 18, 2016 01:44 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin/Andy.
I know your right in what your saying there and we are looking forward to getting the collection viewed. There is a number of titles that havnt been through the projectors for a number of years and despite everything there is still that one or two titles that i am after. [Wink]
On the island, the scene that took quite a few people by surprised was the mass gunning at the end. When this was shown on tv in the past it was cut in half, today its shown uncut. I suspect the way things are on television today itl probably be an afternoon matinee one day. [Big Grin]

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 18, 2016 03:39 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
.....yes....probably CBBC ! (Children's BBC channel for those not familiar)

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC