8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Question about this little metal clip...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question about this little metal clip...
Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2016 11:11 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know what this little black metal clip is actually called? Also, is there a certain tool for applying and removing these?
They keep the long pins in this lamp assembly from slipping out. The 2nd pic shows the bottom of one of the pins without the clip. Any info appreciated!  -

-

--------------------
Joe Taffis

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 27, 2016 11:57 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's called or a c-ring a snap-ring and there are special pliers used to remove and install them.

You can do a lot with a regular set of needle nose pliers but it's the case of turning a 30 second job into 5 minutes, maybe with the bonus of having the thing shoot off into another dimension when you don't have a spare!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 27, 2016 12:12 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the UK we know this as a circlip. Here is the tool for inserting and removing.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0051ABDKU/ref=s9_zwish_hd_bw_b27DiwJ_g60_i3?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=X3WH257YYKEHTS1RPDPJ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd _p=687431967&pf_rd_i=1938971031

--------------------
Maurice

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2016 02:26 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much guys! [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 27, 2016 03:42 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You just need to be careful about something here: there are two kinds of snap-ring pliers: one that spreads the jaws when you squeeze the handles and one that squeezes the jaws.

You need the "spready" kind!

(The one in Maurice's link looks "squeezy".)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 27, 2016 04:37 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought these ViseGrip c-clip pliers. It came with exchangeble heads.

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2016 06:54 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the advice Steve...
Janice, I ordered a pair like yours. Looks like a useful tool, and inexpensive too. Thanks again all! [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC