8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Star Trek Beyond

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Star Trek Beyond
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 30, 2016 12:45 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We went to see Star Trek Beyond at the late show last night. (How late? When we got out our car was basically there all by itself!)

This one has reached the point where it's almost more an action picture than Science Fiction. The action comes so hot and heavy in the first half I'll need the DVD and multiple viewings to be completely sure what happens.

I think people in the future will be much tougher than we are. They keep falling off cliffs worthy of a Road Runner cartoon, smacking into rocks all the way down, get up with a couple of cuts on their faces and then go into hand to hand combat!

You or I would do months in the hospital it we were lucky!

-but it's a Star Trek Feature! The crew is challenged by a single, obsessive villain. All hope seems lost, but by virtue of the Enterprise Crew's character and loyalty they rise to the impossible challenge and at the end the villain...

(You know!...the usual!)

Someone upstairs grabbed the volume knob and twisted it 'til it broke off! The sound was so loud I heard something I've never heard before in a theatrical audio system: hum! You not only heard the battle scenes, but felt them! (-ENOUGH, guys!)

Leonard Nimoy's passing was dealt with very warmly and sensitively, and a dedication was made for Anton Yelchin, who died post-production.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted July 30, 2016 01:15 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with your review Steve. Excellent movie.

Live long and prosper Y~

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2016 01:22 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was entertained. I don't have high expectations for any of the current science fi and action hero movies but I usually enjoy seeing them.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 30, 2016 02:04 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a trailer for some upcoming Tom Cruise movie that was basically two minutes of him punching people in the face! At one point he punched a guy right through a car window.

I thought it would be neat if they did it as a musical!

-beatings with a beat!

Of course at the audio level we had it was a little like he was hitting US!

-but I was thinking the whole time "Isn't Tom Cruise like five feet tall? Please, somebody just step on him!"

--------------------

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2016 03:48 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The volume is far too loud these days. I take foam earplugs with me and it makes it tolerable. I couldn't go otherwise.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2016 05:52 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sort of volume level makes me think they are trying to re-invent Sensuround, only without the sudden shock of it at really appropriate events in the film.

I remember the hearing light fittings vibrate during the trailer for Battle for Midway - and that was when I was still in the foyer

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2016 12:46 PM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, sound in theaters these days is WAY too loud. Loud and booming and sub-woofer rumbling (a la Sensurround) does not make a better movie watching experience. All it does is loosen your fillings and shatter your nerves. Audio fidelity is much more important than extreme volume. All this technology to create sophisticated soundtracks gets lost when the volume is turned up to jet engine levels.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 03, 2016 12:52 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad that they'll have to get a new person to play Chekov, as the actor was killed a few days or weeks back.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 03, 2016 01:03 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a feeling Chekhov will be reassigned to another ship before the next one comes out.

A very long time ago, we took our 3 year old to see his first theatrical movie.

-Pooh's Heffalump Movie, it was!

Now, the average age in the auditorium couldn't have been as high as ten years old, but hey! -We were all going to see Winnie the Pooh and Piglet figure out the world once again: the most violent thing we saw that day should have been Tigger! What could ever go wrong?!

-but then the trailers rolled...

Flaming cars spiraled through the skies and were blown up mid air by missiles! Buildings exploded and the screen was full of flames and shrapnel! Men carrying six machine guns each dove through the air and cut each other down. Explosions were exploded by even bigger explosions! The air pulsated with about 100,000 watts of violent sound track, and the floor quaked beneath our feet.

-The assault died down and most of the theater was crying: not all of them were children!

My little boy looked at me and said "Daddy, I want to go home!".

Oh, bother!

(WHAT were they thinking???)

--------------------

Ty Reynolds
Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2016 01:29 PM      Profile for Ty Reynolds   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read somewhere on the Imdb newsfeed that Abrams does not intend to recast Chekov.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 03, 2016 01:41 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the joy of characters like this: they are people with jobs and they can just be working someplace else. (-happened to me a couple of times, actually!)

They can come and go at will.

-it's not like a story with a family and all of a sudden you're stuck to explain why little sister is gone!

"Boarding School...she got a surprise...scholarship."

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC