8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Road to Perdition on blu-ray

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Road to Perdition on blu-ray
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 31, 2016 06:54 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in 2002 we ran the 35mm print of this film and I always thought it was a really good movie. Here director Sam Mendes does introduce the Blu-ray, with a special mention and full of praise for his director of photography the late Conrad Hall.

With a top cast including Tom Hanks, Paul Newman, Jude Law its a good gangster movie with plenty of action going on with that Thompson sub-machine gun. When we ran the 35mm print at the cinema, I always remember the surprise people would get, at those final and loud two shots as Tom Hanks is killed off. Without fail people would jump with fright in there seats, and that happened at most screenings. We really had a good sound system at Movieland.

Anyway here are a couple of screen shots from last night, if I could find a 35mm print, now that would be something.
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

|  IP: Logged

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2016 03:32 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember seeing that film at the time and while I enjoyed it there was something about Hanks' performance that I didn't like, I didn't buy into his grimace! Great sound and cinematography though.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 01, 2016 11:21 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always liked this movie and I thought it was a great last one "to go out on" for paul Newman, (though he did voicework in "Cars")

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2016 05:06 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham
As one time fellow Cinema Projectionist of 45+ years in the projection box I like to know what equipment others are using
So what film and video projectors do you have ?
Those screenshots are superb if its from a blu-ray disc. WOW !!!
What size of screen is it on ?
Sorry for the questions but I am very curious about such things.
I too ran this in 35mm at the Cinema where I was employed.

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 04, 2016 06:54 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David

For Super8 I mostly use a GS1200 but my favorite projector is still "old reliable" that I bought back in the 1970Ss. The basic ST1200M.

16mm A slot loader B/H 1680, the down side to those B/H is the worm gear which thankfully after 20 years is still ok. The big plus with this projector is having a three claw pull down which is very forgiving on old film.

For 35mm, well, the Ernemann 2 from the late 1920s. Its a brilliant projector and a real joy to run, either a 2000ft reel or from the platter. I am still sorting out the Bauer U4 as well, that was a parting gift from the cinema owners when the place closed.

The video projector I mainly use is a Panasonic PT-AX200E, that's the projector the blu-ray screen shots of "Road to Perdition" are from.

For me its a hobby that's got out of hand, well "a wee bit" but its been a lot of fun and something you can share with others. Its also great to hear stories from folk with similar film or video interests no matter what gauge or projector they are using.

Anyway that's my story [Smile]

PS. This is an early video I took of the Ernemann 2

https://youtu.be/s5Y5W57V25E

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2016 03:32 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham
A very big thank you for sharing that information and the video link. Those Germans sure know how to build things to last. Great engineers.
Is the projector arc lamp a xenon ?
I sadly had to dispose of my 35mm Westar Century due to house move to a smaller place. I also had to dispose of 35mm features too.
I still have a Carl Zeiss Icon TK Portable though so I can still run the odd bit of 35mm.
I too have an Elmo GS1200 but its not my favourite but my Fumeo 9119 is. I like the manual threading and the 2500 spool capacity.
I too have a 16mm B&H 1680 slot loader but I have 2 16mm B&H 652s. I also have Elfs but I am not so keen on these.
I too use Panasonic for the video its the early PT-AE700E which I bought new and have never had a problem with it.
However I may upgrade soon.
As you state this hobby can get out of hand. hahaha !!!

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 05, 2016 05:41 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The Panasonic PT-At7000 is a fantastic machine David.
It's an older model now compared to many of the newest machines on the market, but as a result,can still be purchased new at bargain basement prices now.

With its 220w red rich lamp, 3D capability and stunning 2D 1080p image quality, you won't believe your eyes compared to your AE 700!

So very much brighter as well.

Well worth an audition if you get the opportunity. [Wink]

Anything even newer, looking even better on screen, costs a whole lot more!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2016 07:48 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for letting me know about this projector.
I don't really need 3D though as I don't like 3D movies.
However I think for the time being I will stick with my current
one. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 09, 2016 07:52 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I equally view 3D films as little more than a gimmick David.
I am far happier seeing the 2D versions of Blu Ray movies through the later video projectors.

They are brighter that way and the stunning image quality,vibrancy and contrast these can produce in 2D is always my number one priority.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC