8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The New Ben Hur

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The New Ben Hur
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 19, 2016 12:59 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just read a review in the paper of the new Ben Hur movie. It got only 2 stars. Apparently the famous chariot race scene, all with CG digitized horses and people, is a mess, and no match for the iconic real life chariot race of the Charlton Heston version.
The movie is expected to lose millions of dollars, and you have to ask why they even bothered to remake it.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2016 01:04 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stopped going by critic reviews a long, long time ago. Some of my favorite films were hated by the critics...

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted August 19, 2016 01:18 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Throwing in with Paul on this - As an actor, I apologize for the waste of celluloid, soem talent and very little originality - I know there are only seven original plots, that's another story - BEN-HUR was a great film by 1920 standards with Bushman and Navarro - The then-remake of 1959 attained greater acclaim (Oh, that Rosza score and variations on a theme) - The thought of a remake with best talent and location work, well, it certainly bears watching over and again - I'm again sorry, but with all the tech advances, this does darn little to elevate or garner any appreciation for a film of this epic - Not putting down the technicalities, they can enhance a supernatural work of course, but even then I'm old-fashione about some aspects - My nickel, Shorty

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2016 02:17 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the subject of action scenes and stunts it is a world of diminishing returns. The chariot race or the car chase in BULLITT, the audience knows and still can appreciate now looking back that it was all done for real. At least to large extent. It seems as if it could really happen and looks like it. Car chases now are ridiculous somersaulting CGI capers and people just laugh. I've been in the cinema and heard precisely that. I don't know how film-makers come back from this. Only you might make a 'real Ale' film with a 'pledge' of 'no CGI was used' as part of the publicity.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2016 02:20 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be ironic if the CGI chariot race showed tyre tracks from the camera car as the 1959 version is supposed to (I haven't seen them - I'm too busy watching the action).

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2016 04:56 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if it will get a release in the UK so I can get a
chance to see how bad it is .
Mind you Charlton Heston's hammy acting in the 1959 version
has not aged so well as the rest of the film. [Wink]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2016 05:33 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is scheduled for either Aug 26th or Sep 7th release in th UK but it will be blink and you miss it a lot of big blockbusters like Independence 2 and Star Trek have gone brough this summer very quickly. Film studios are lucky that a lot of the oversea market makes their box office returns these days particularly Far East and China. US market represents only 25%to 30% of the take. Between overseas returns , tv rights plus DVD and Blu-Ray they will make a profit. Sure their executiv producer "an absolute nobody "has been awarded her own star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in the last month.

They don't

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2016 08:45 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike thanks for that information.
I will keep an eye open for it at the nearest Digima.
[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2016 02:37 PM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi! just would like to say with Wall do respect to the crew guys of this production,they must be masoquists.

in these days ,unfourtanely,cinema becames na houge industrie,instead what we usualy call A R T...

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 02, 2016 06:38 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now set for release at my local IMAX (digital) screen cinema on Sept 7th. I went past and the big poster up is for the new Brigit Jones episode that is out later.
Seems they don't think Ben Hur will do well!!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 02, 2016 11:10 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for mentioning "Bullit' with that great car chase! I bet McQueen really had his agents and incurance companies "blowing a gasket" over his insistence of doing his own stunt work on that car chase!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 02, 2016 01:23 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember thinking that green VW Beatles were very popular in San Francisco. Still a great film though.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 03, 2016 03:57 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the cost appears to be shared by Paramount and MGM so they must be expecting some sort of return. I asked at our local cinema if it would be showing and they said the posters for the film had been taken down upstairs and they had no indication, as yet, whether their bookers had actually booked it. Typical of some of our cinema chains. I emailed them last year to ask if a certain film would be showing and the manageress said she'd contact their booking group. Still waiting for a reply. I suspect 'Ben Hur's' chariot will roll right past us!

--------------------
Dave

James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 03, 2016 05:15 AM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like another Dads Army.
Why bother to reinvent the wheel?

--------------------
James Wilson

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 03, 2016 03:50 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Talking of remakes - They are making them of 'Are you being seved'
'Porridge', 'Till death us do part', and others. What a waste of time. They will never be as good as the originals. What has happened to comedy writers? Have we lost the art of producing classic comedy to be reduced to scraping the barrel by producing these second rate remakes?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 03, 2016 03:59 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed Terry. They belong in the era they were first written for.

An Alf Garnett couldn't survive nowadays in today's society.
Nor Leonard Rossiter, maybe Ronnie Barker in Porridge, but then again.. where are you gonna find another genius like Ronnie Barker or any of the above mentioned for that matter?

As for "Are You Being Served", to me, it was only ever mildly amusing to begin with!
Certainly no "Rising Damp" or "Faulty Towers", more like Terry & June! 😂😂😂

The comedy was genius for the era it was written, but that's where it belongs and that's where it should stay.

It's difficult to write comedy now I'd say and it remaining clean.
The world is more savvy, diverse and cynical now, not to mention multi cultural and therefore far more pc.

Can you imagine "Love Thy Neighbour" being on telly now?
Or would Julian Clary and Fanny The Wonder Dog or Mike & Bernie Winters make a living today?

Not so sure myself. 😂😂

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 03, 2016 04:51 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right Andrew but the world might have become more diverse and pc, but at the cost of good old fashioned comedy which should not be restrained by such nonsense. Just glad I was born in an era where these things were not an issue.

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2016 06:24 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't imagine Benny Hill even getting a look in today. How things have changed.

--------------------
Dave

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 04, 2016 04:20 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Me neither.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2016 07:10 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chariots of Dire...

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/sep/08/ben-hur-review-bekmambetov-jack-houston-morgan-freeman

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2016 04:45 PM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've seen it and enjoyed it in 3D with just 5 other people!!
It can't be compared in any way with the Charlton Heston epic. It somehow comes across as a rather ordinary film. The 3D was ordinary, the picture quality was ordinary, and I missed the colour and sharpness of the older production. But, having said that it wasn't anything like as bad as I'd been led to believe and even The Daily Mirror gave it three stars. It was a non demanding couple of hours with the chariot race scene occasionally looking like a carboard cut out. But, so what. I got in for half price!! Can't be bad.

--------------------
Dave

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC