8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Packing up, again.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Packing up, again.
Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2016 03:00 PM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now don't panic, I'm not giving up film collecting again - but Mrs. Stu and myself have decided that our quality of life (and more importantly that of our young children) could be improved immeasurably if we were to leave London and head for the coast. So, we've looked at costs, mortgages, equity and all that jazz and have decided we'll up sticks from Walthamstow and head down to Worthing to be beside the sea. We can have a nice home, I can have my Shed Cinema that I've always dreamed of, and the kids can have space to run around. However, in the short term we have to declutter to turn our current place into a show-home to get maximum moolah for it, and it has been decreed that this clutter includes my precious projectors and film collection! So tomorrow I start packing away the films, splicers, lenses, the shonky Beaulieu 708el and the paralyzed Elmo 16CL Xenon. Along with a load of books, LPs and assorted stuff they'll be living short term in a storage unit down the road. Next few weeks will be a whirlwind of painting, decorating, showing people around, driving a 4 hr round trip to house-hunt etc, so forgive me if I'm not around here much for a time. Oh - and if anyone finds a 16mm print of Sleuth please remember me and send me an email!

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 28, 2016 11:51 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the best with your move, hope all goes well.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 29, 2016 01:36 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Never mind all that moving and "family comes first" malarkey, get your priorities right Stuart and get that Beaulieu up and running sweet! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

Only kidding pal (well almost),..hope it all goes well for you and cannot wait to see Shed 2 cinema!

(The original Shed Cinema of course belongs to our pal Dave)😁😁

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2016 03:18 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't wait! Finally I'll have somewhere to display my miniature ODEON neon sign that my missus had made for me for my 40th!

Neil Massey
Junior

- posted August 29, 2016 03:45 AM      Profile for Neil Massey   Email Neil Massey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck with your move.

I live the other side of Brighton; Worthing is a nice area and you will have far more space than in London and great for a family.

Don't envy your next few weeks though!

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 29, 2016 04:23 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did wonder if you ever miss the sea, coming from PLymouth you must do.
Glad your finding your way back to the water [Wink]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 29, 2016 04:26 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I miss the Cornish coastline and I've never even lived there!

Beautiful part of the world Tom. Devon or Cornwall, I'm not fussy! 😁😁😁

--------------------

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2016 04:40 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Stu

You had me worried there having read the subject title - wishing you a smooth move and quick sale and high price offer for your London home - make sure you look into the train services from Worthing / Brighton though as currently commuter services on Southern Railways are terrible. Perhaps you should consider a move to the Kent coastline (Whitstable aka 'Islington On Sea' due to the high number of Londoners moving in) is just down the road from here and very nice - also has HS1 going to the Capital via all the main Network S.E. London commuter stations.

Wherever you move to the dedicated home cinema option is a must - shed or garage conversion you know it makes sense and expands the joys of the hobby even further.

Kevin

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2016 06:20 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck Stu
We moved from Milton Keynes to Weymouth some 14yrs ago and have never regretted it. Weymouth has a beautiful beach, lovely clear blue sea and historic fishing harbour. It's very special living by the sea especially when all the 'grockles' have gone home [Smile]

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 29, 2016 07:00 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah have to say Terry we'r happier once the 1st week in September has passed [Wink]

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 29, 2016 08:51 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck with your house sale and move. I don't suppose you're likely to be visited by a prospective film collector buyer, who would be encouraged by signs of successful projecting!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 29, 2016 11:34 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AHHHH ...

that fresh seacoast air! Just don't get too close to the ocean. I had a friend in oregon who's house slid into the ocean right after a major storm.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 29, 2016 11:39 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a self confessed "Grockle" apparently, whatever that might mean???? Ha ha

Wow, it's even in the Oxford English I've just found!!

Never heard that one before Terry and only used for holidaymakers visiting Devon & Cornwall apparently.

Of course for anyone visiting Moss Side M14 (spiritual home of the best team in the land and all the world!), we now call these visitors "Mockles" from herein! 😁😁😁

--------------------

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2016 12:15 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew
Didn't know it was in the dictionary but I'm sure Tom will confirm that it was originally a derogatory term for visitors to Cornwall and as far as I know it is from the old Cornish language, but Tom will probably confirm or deny.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2016 12:49 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry - double post

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2016 01:03 PM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stuart, my heart missed a beat as I read you'd decided to live on the coast and for a moment I thought, Southend. Then the truth landed. You don't want to live in the happiest place in the country, confirmed to be Leigh-on-sea, just down the road. Anyway, hope the move goes well and your shed Odeon dream comes true.

--------------------
Dave

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 29, 2016 03:56 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thats almost correct Andrew and Terry, if your a holiday maker in Cornwall you are actually an Emmett, hence you may see a non Emmett sticker on cars of Cornish citizens, if you are a holiday maker in Devon,(namely Torquay), then you are a crockle, its all very strange [Big Grin] [Wink]

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2016 05:08 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck with the move!!

We did the same thing 17 years ago moving from London to the South Coast and its one of the best things we ever did.

We will have to meet up for a film show as I'm only 20 mins away in Bognor Regis.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 29, 2016 05:33 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i do get the impression that London isn't too popular a place to live these days, when i went there for an concert at the O2 i did feel like the odd one out no matter where we went, we were more than happy to get back to Plymouth. best of luck with the move.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 29, 2016 05:45 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
London is the bollocks no doubt about about that!

Could I live there?

Only if I had 7 brains. It's Manic nowadays beyond comprehension!!

Still, we did see it on its busiest weekend ever.

You are totally burned out after just a few days when Obama visited plus the Queens 90th celebrations, the London Marathon and two F A. Cup semi finals all fell on the same weekend!

The helicopters and thousands of armed police, make you realise what a shitty world we now all have to endure as westerners!!!!

[ August 30, 2016, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2016 07:33 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But there are jobs available in London and the suberbs. At many seaside resorts there is high unemployment. But I do agree the coast gives you better lifestyle and a place I want to move to eventually.

Graham S

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2016 08:47 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will we see you on 'Escape to the Country'?

--------------------
Trevor

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 29, 2016 11:40 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been to "Worthing" once for a week, and both myself and another mechanic from Glasgow were taken to the cleaners "every night" we were there.... by an old couple on the dart board [Frown] [Big Grin]
 -
Did come home with this [Smile]

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 30, 2016 08:47 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, when we visit New Zealand next year for our daughters wedding I'll make sure we hire a datsun just in case.

--------------------
Dave

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 30, 2016 11:48 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave you will have to go to a museum to find one [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC