8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Shell film unit.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Shell film unit.
Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2016 06:33 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my memories from school (long ago) was the occasional documentary film show. While i managed to drag my eyes away from the projector, I remember a showing of the Shell Film Unit's 1955 film, 'The Rival World' which showed the battle against diseases spread by insects and featured a spectacular flight through a flock of locusts.
I now have my own 16mm copy of that particular film, but have been trying unsuccesfully to find a DVD of the Shell films.
Has anyone seen such a thing?

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 26, 2016 09:42 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I spoke to the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu some time ago enquiring about the motor car films of Shell, BP, Rootes Group, Castrol, etc. I was told that they hold a large number of such films.

I asked if they were going to issue them as DVDs and they said it would be too expensive a venture.

I realise that "The Rival World" is not a motor film but the above does show any reluctance to issue films from the sponsored film libraries. The BFI have been great in issuing some such films but I have yet to see any DVDs containing films from the Shell Film Unit.

--------------------
Maurice

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2016 11:28 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a pity, the BFI site has a pocket history of Shell, even mentioning that particular film, but nothing else. Plenty of otherwise British documentaries.
I haven't been particularly impressed with my experiences of BFI, even though in the past I've handled a lot of their film material in the labs.
They hold the print of a previously considered lost version of 'The Hound of the Baskervilles' made by Gainsborough in 1932, and though they advertise that items from their archive can be viewed on application I've been refused twice. They say that although it would only be viewed on a small screen on DVD that they only accept if a film society makes a request or if I'm doing research for a book.

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2016 11:29 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a pity, the BFI site has a pocket history of Shell, even mentioning that particular film, but nothing else. Plenty of otherwise British documentaries.
I haven't been particularly impressed with my experiences of BFI, even though in the past I've handled a lot of their film material in the labs.
They hold the print of a previously considered lost version of 'The Hound of the Baskervilles' made by Gainsborough in 1932, and though they advertise that items from their archive can be viewed on application I've been refused twice. They say that although it would only be viewed on a small screen on DVD that they only accept if a film society makes a request or if I'm doing research for a book.

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2016 01:07 PM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Allan, that's not acceptable. Write to the director? and put your case for accessability to him (her). Isn't the BFI publicly funded? You should have a right to see the film. If they still refuse, go down and ask for an interview and refuse to leave till you get one. I had a problem with the Halifax. They actually changed the figures on my daughters passbook. When challenged, they lost the book and told me I'd only presented my son's book. I told them I'd be back on Saturday morning and if the book and correct cash was not to hand I'd stand in the bank and tell everyone what they'd done. It came to light with the correct money!!! Organisations like the BFI need reminding that they are there to serve the interested public. (I'll now get off my soapbox and return to the original conversation!!)

--------------------
Dave

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2016 05:32 PM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm impressed with your tenacity, Dave, but succesive emails haven't moved the BFI. I pointed out that a colleague, who was an authority on techniques of colour dyeing in silent pictures and had contributed to a book on that subject, was also interested, still didn't shift their attitude.
The jobsworths in the front office don't want to know.

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2016 06:59 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Allan, Josh Berger became Chair of BFI in February this year. He's also the MD of Warner Entertainment in the U.K. Write to him directly and put your case. Mark the letter 'Strictly Personal' and get it signed for (registered letter). We all fund the BFI and they should not be allowed to refuse accessibility without offering an acceptable explanation. Don't be put off.

--------------------
Dave

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2016 02:53 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks , Dave, shall look into that.

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2016 12:13 PM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The National Film Archive don't own the copyright to films not in the public domain but deposited with them for safekeeping. The problem may be with Shell restricting access to the films for seemingly irrational reasons of their own. They don't have to explain themselves.

--------------------
Paul.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC