8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The best filmed version of DRACULA.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The best filmed version of DRACULA.
David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2016 05:59 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What in your opinion is the best filmed version of the novel
DRACULA ? Cinema and TV versions.

I have just watched the Frank Langella version again and think
it is absolute crap and utter bore.
A waste of great actors and film.

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

|  IP: Logged

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2016 06:13 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David, Christopher lee as the count for me every time, but I do like the twins of evil count, sorry I don't know the guys name.

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2016 09:27 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi - the guys name is Damien Thomas - Christopher Lee every time - though Louis Jourdan in the BBC TV 1977 production is very effective

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2016 10:31 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely Christopher Lee in the Hammer Films version.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Evan Samaras
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2016 11:50 AM      Profile for Evan Samaras   Author's Homepage   Email Evan Samaras   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another vote for Christopher Lee

--------------------
...When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth...

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2016 11:56 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd even go as far to say Christopher Lee in all 7 of his Dracula pictures

Colin Fish
Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2016 01:33 PM      Profile for Colin Fish   Email Colin Fish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definately Gary Oldman in Bram Stokers Dracula.

Colin Fish
Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2016 01:35 PM      Profile for Colin Fish   Email Colin Fish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definately Gary Oldman in Bram Stokers Dracula.

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2016 03:01 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Gary Oldman ( Francis Coppola ) Dracula has the most gorgeous sets and costumes. If Hammer had ever had such a budget then that, with Christopher Lee as the Count, would have been amazing...

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2016 07:47 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 1979 Langella version.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 11, 2016 08:21 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like them all for various reasons. One of my favourites is Dan Curtis's version with Jack Palance as Dracula.

My dream Dracula would be the Melford version from 1931 but with Lugosi in place of Villarias. The Spanish version is so atmospheric and so much better acted by all except Villarias.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted December 11, 2016 09:33 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1992 Oldman, but I do enjoy Maxy`s job as well.

Best Mark.

Colin Fish
Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2016 10:16 AM      Profile for Colin Fish   Email Colin Fish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't leave the original Nosferato out!

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 11, 2016 02:55 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Michael on this one. The 1931 Spanish language Dracula is brilliant, even with a weak performance by Carlos Villarķas as the Count. Lupita Tovar (who just recently passed away) is absolutely stunning as Eva.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2016 04:06 PM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dracula 1958 Hammer Productions with out a matter of a doubt plus i met the great actor on a few occasions.

A wonderful warm and pleasant chap!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 12, 2016 11:53 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I know it's not everyones cup of tea, (blood tea, couldn't resist!), but my vote goes to Klaus Kinski's "Nosferatu" in the late 1970's, very dream-like film and powerful. He really looks like the undead and very pathetic, but that was what they were going for.

My wife STILL can't watch that scne with Klaus "slurping" (with great sound effect!), away at her neck!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 12, 2016 04:06 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your replies guys.
I see everyone has their favourite version

Although I like Christopher Lee too in the original Hammer
DRACULA ( HORROR OF DRACULA ) I am always annoyed at Hammer
being way too far off from the original book.
They did make a bit of a mess of things even allowing for
the budget.

My favourite version is the BBC tv version with Louis Jordan
as the Count.
Not perfect but close to the novel.

Its a great pity that Christopher Lee never did star in a
version which followed the book more faithfully.
He was willing to do this but sadly it was not to be.

Both NOSFERATU films I really like.

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2016 06:58 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always been partial to the Louis Jourdan version...so different, but chilling...although I've not seen it in 20 years and if I ever find a dvd of it and watch it again, I may change my mind. Folks may laugh at me, but I actually enjoyed Dracula 2000, partly because it goes to logically explain the Count's aversion to silver and the cross , etc. Gerald Butler and Christopher Plummer were good in it.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2016 10:18 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Max Schreck in Shadow Of The Vampire.

Made back in 2000, it take place during the filming of Nosferatu with the premise that director Friedrich Murnau found a real vampire to play the lead in his film, and paid him by allowing him to feed off the cast and production staff of the film. A very creepy movie.

I take the above back. The scariest movie vampire is undoubtedly Don Knotts..

-

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2016 11:01 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The role of Dracula and Christopher Lee seem so linked because of his many incarnations as the Count. The first Dracula movie being the best with Dracula Prince of Darkness being a good sequel. The rest were diminished by poor scripts, cost cutting by Hammer and weak direction.

Lugosi's 1931 version does seem stale and dated now but he does have presence and I would say when it was released it must have stunned audiences.

John Badham / Frank Langella version had promise but wasted most of its potential. The dramatic John Williams being it only saving grace.

The Copolla /Gary Oldham version does improve with repeated showings. It is a little over the top but gets my vote.

I haven't seen the Louis Jordan and Jack Palance versions so I can't comment on them.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 27, 2016 11:52 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's freakin funny!!!!

Thanks Mitchell!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2016 12:28 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I aim to please Oswald 🐰 [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC