8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » MINT CONDTION ??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MINT CONDTION ??
Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2017 03:29 PM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STAR-WARS-VINTAGE-8MM-SUPER8-FILM-1977-BOXED-AND-IN-MINT-CONDITION-/322406632704?
Listing says that this film is mint condition ,so is that as it was when brought new exellent colour and no scratches i very much doubt it but at £200 its still way to high evern if true ,ive email seller so lets see what he says just curious wont be buying at that price.

|  IP: Logged

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 29, 2017 03:36 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey Nigel, this is one of many that seem to be listed with utter ridiculous start prices.

Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2017 03:44 PM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes but to say mint is evern more ridiculous ,i can gaurantee its not mint cant be unless printed yesterday and of course we all know thats not possible ,still i dont mind it gives us a laugh and little do they know if one pops up for £25 it will sell because someone will think they have found a bargain.they will never sell the £200 copy.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2017 05:21 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe he just sucks a Polo Mint and licks the box. 😜

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2017 05:37 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The fact that the box has been opened and the film clearly used means that it can't be "Mint". Excellent or very good, perhaps. There are serious collectors out there of any Star Wars merchandise who might be tempted.

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2017 05:43 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same as the ones selling Planet Of The Apes super 8mm calling them "crispy new" and more than GBP50 .... Even in a sealed box they will be red!

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2017 06:19 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Planet of the Apes 200ft didn't have very much colour new in the 70's, probably even less now.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 29, 2017 08:11 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say the question of whether it's mint - unless you're a potential buyer - is something of a red herring unless a mint copy would justify the price asked. The film may well be mint but the box shows moderate wear and some Star Wars collectors would probably prefer a mint box with a worn film to a worn box with a mint film!

Having said that, I appreciate that some collectors feel that a film can only be described as mint if it has a 'lab new' appearance. But from my perspective, if it displays no visible wear whatsoever when projected, I'd consider that as good as mint.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Joe Vannicola
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2017 10:49 PM      Profile for Joe Vannicola   Email Joe Vannicola   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In 1992, a camera shop I frequented was going out of buiness. The owner tried to sell me the few Super 8 films he had left which were in color . Since by then I had changed to the 16mm format, I had no use for them. As we were shooting the breeze he claimed that because the film boxes were enclosed in the original factory shrink wrap, the color was still excellent. He went on to say that as long as the boxes remained unopened the color would never fade. Until I found out the contrary a few years later, I actually thought that to be the case.

--------------------
Joe

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2017 04:06 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aye ... a still cellophane sealed box is no guarantee that a colour mint print has not faded.
[Wink]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2017 07:40 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some folks have a different idea of the meaning of the word "condition". I suppose a film's physical condition, ie. wear, splices , scratches, could be called by some as "mint" if the film has no wear, splices or scratches...BUT could be red as a beet. I've bought some of those a few times.
Others lump color fade into their idea of "condition".
These days I ask the seller pointed questions aimed at both physical condition of the piece of film AND, if in color, the color of the film. That way there's no misunderstanding. If the box is sealed and the seller doesn't want to break the seal, then I let someone else buy that one.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 30, 2017 07:47 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think either, very good, good or something along those lines are more suited, however, dont you love those idiots that list it and state, no projector to test it but i held it up to the light and it appears to be in excellent condition. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Do you think there are morons who actually believe this though [Big Grin] [Wink]

Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2017 10:46 AM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok im posting this here for all to see so everbody knows ,this is the message the seller replied with .

It is indeed in 'mint' condition as i have checked it for myself, it's old stock and hasn't ever been used, it comes with an original advert from the 70's.
I actually had Alien on Super 8 (which went to a keen collector in New York) and Jaws which went to Tasmania last year. Superman is also in my listings.

***THIS FILM IS 40 YEARS OLD THIS YEAR***

It's imperative you keep hold of anything 'old school' as mostly everything is imported from China and it's crap!

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2017 11:03 AM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've given up looking on ebay, these people are complete idiots, they think they have uncovered the crown jewels and try to sell them as such.

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2017 11:13 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are many of these prints around and you see loads at conventions etc so I was surprised when one sold recently for over £53 complete with colour fade and scratches, I have four copies myself so I've now realised I must be sitting on a goldmine! !! I'll gladly sell them for £100 each, come on that's half the price! In reality I think a fiver is more the price and sometimes you'd be glad to get that for one, Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 30, 2017 11:59 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a part of me that always HATES seeing these kind of auctions, because you know that there is that one DUMMY that will actually bid on this ...

... but then I snicker slightly when I think of the person opening that package and getting a gander at what he's bought.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2017 04:11 PM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought this Star Wars Super 8 sound digest ( which only runs about 9 minutes) new in 1977 or 1978. I still have it. It had bad color even when new.

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2017 06:43 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Descriptions of any object are subjective unless there is an established standard for various grades such as there are for coins. Asking very specific questions of the seller is advisable for anything that you purchase unseen.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC