8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The Drive-In I Almost Opened.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Drive-In I Almost Opened.
Joe Vannicola
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2017 12:12 AM      Profile for Joe Vannicola   Email Joe Vannicola   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was about thirty years old, I decided to re-open an abandoned drive-in. I went so far as to speak to the former owner about renting it. I was a manager/operator at a duplex theater at the time and had come to the conclusion that the theater companies were run by tired,old men and that some new blood was needed in the industry. In case you haven't guessed, I was that new blood(ahem!) Oh, to be thirty again!

Anyway, I found that getting a Small Business Mans loan was not as easy as I thought it would be. I actually thought you showed up, asked for the loan and they gave it to you. Boys and girls, can you say naive? Anyhoo, my wonderful drive-in never materialize, but here was another genius idea born from my furtile brain: Instead of renting my films from distribution companies I'd buy 35mm prints from Big Reel ads, show them for a week, then resell them next month in The Big Reel. Positive cash flow!

Does anyone else think this was an great idea or a completely dumb one? Don't worry about hurting my feelings, this was more than 30 years ago. I just curious to know what others thought of my brainstorm. Or was it just a light drizzle instead? lol

--------------------
Joe

|  IP: Logged

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2017 03:38 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Joe,
Your posting on a film forum with film collectors, of course it was a good idea!!
Shame it didn't happen for you, it's one of those "you'll never know"moments but thanks for sharing it, Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 11, 2017 05:52 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Howdie Joe!,

It is the idea of a guy who loves film! They usually are big ideas, kind like Taras restoring the Sea Theatre, but often they run into practical problems too.

I can't imagine it would take too long before you'd have an attorney out in the audience, someone else's attorney that is...

-as far as I know privately buying 35mm prints and publicly exhibiting them would become a copyright issue. (It is sidestepping the food chain and the apex carnivores wouldn't take too kindly to it!)

For example, Swank Motion Pictures deals in supplying feature films for institutional settings (were 16mm, more recently DVD). You get the silver disk in the box, just like Amazon.com, but what you also get is permission to exhibit it, and a higher price to grease the skids and send some money back to the studio.

-Even this is only for institutional shows. Theatrical exhibition would set a big red bell ringing on some wall somewhere.

I still like the idea, though!

-

-for some reason!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2017 06:20 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like the wonderful idea I had as an eight year old. My Chad Valley magic lantern, powered by a battery, didn't give much light. Suddenly a wonderful idea was born. If I made a hole in the back and stood it behind the window, daylight would pour through and I'd have the brightest picture in Christendom. I suspect this is one reason I have never been offered a Knighthood. None of my fantastic ideas ever work!!!!!

--------------------
Dave

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2017 09:10 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great stories guys!!

In Washington DC, there is an annual street festival in the prestigious Capitol Hill neighborhood. Its called Market Day. In the summer of '78, my best friend and I had a marvelous idea- We built a small theater in the middle of the street, amongst the other various vendors. It was, maybe 10 x 15 feet, made of 2 by 4's and black plastic tarp. We showed the just-released 200 foot digest of "STAR WARS", and a couple of cartoons, charging 50 cents! We made a wopping $36 dollars, which we had to give half to the store we set up in front of (they provided electricity via extension cord). We split the remainder 3 ways, and we felt like totally successful entrepreneurs!

Great times!

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2017 10:13 AM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to a drive-in for the first time in about 25 years this past Summer. There's only a couple left open in the area. The lines to get in on the weekend on are long and looking around once we got parked, you'd wonder why there aren't more places like this. People love them!

However, when you think about it, you realize why there are so few. It's very seasonal of course. In the height of Summer the sun doesn't go down until after 9:00. So even in nice weather, you've got a limited time to operate. The one nearby opens at 7:00 and people bring grills, frisbees, coolers, etc. which is all great but cuts into concession sales.

It was a great dream Joe, and maybe you could have pulled it off. On the other hand, maybe it's just as well you didn't get that loan. [Wink]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 11, 2017 12:48 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's this idea that if you do what you love, you will spend all day playing.

There's this second school of thought that the best way to ruin a hobby is to make a job out of it.

I read an article once in a model railroad magazine titled "Are you really sure you want to own a hobby shop?". The guy owned a shop in a mall and he found families would drop their under-aged kids off as kind of free childcare while they shopped. They'd mess up his displays, maybe break something and then disappear.

I read an article in a camping magazine by a guy who'd recently dumped a campground. He talked about breaking up drunken brawls and a large group who'd trashed the place and "paid" with bad checks. The problem is once this kind of stuff got going, the guests he'd had in mind from the start stopped showing up.

Both thought they'd spend all day dealing with people who loved the same things they did, and life would be great!

-maybe there are times it's better if our dreams stay that way!

--------------------

Tommy Woods
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2017 04:54 PM      Profile for Tommy Woods   Email Tommy Woods   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this appeared today in one of our papers,may be of some interest to you guys
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-4203508/Fascinating-images-reveal-glory-days-drive-ins.html

--------------------
Let there be light,so god created the projector

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 11, 2017 10:13 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've made a point of seeking them out when I'm on the road the last few years:

The Drive-In Experience

I'm going Upstate next Summer, maybe it's time to find a new one!

Joe? Do you remember the name of the theater you were interested in?

--------------------

Joe Vannicola
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2017 11:39 PM      Profile for Joe Vannicola   Email Joe Vannicola   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was called The Diamond State Drive-In in Felton, Delaware.
Actually, it wasn't abandoned, but simply not in service anymore.The people who owned the property, Mr.& Mrs. Steele, were hoping someone would rent it. It was eventually reopened by a guy named Rob,who upon meeting me, said I reminded him of Crazy Bob who ran the Moonlight Drive-In in Pa. The son of the Diamond State Drive-In owners supposedly sold the land about five years ago and it now sits in a state of severe disrepair. I live about ten miles away from it. Shame really.

--------------------
Joe

David C. Lucidi
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2017 08:28 AM      Profile for David C. Lucidi   Email David C. Lucidi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, it makes me ill thinking of the land just sitting there. I watched Drive-In's disappear around me as a kid (in my neighborhood within 5 mins there were 2 separate ones -- one became a Kmart and the other a supermarket). When I started dating my wife in 2005, we watched one of her favorite places get sold (Columbia Drive In). Homes and stores replaced it [Mad] I've said it many times, I've had a LOT more fun taking the family (and large groups of friends) out for Drive In night than the regular movies. If you know anything about actual operating expenses of a movie theatre, it's a wonder they can stay above water, ESP. after the digital conversation [Frown] I'm still lucky that there are 3 that are all within about an hour of me (literally, 3 different directions, all about an hour).

And just a small FYI for Steve (and anyone else who attends Cinesea), if you like going to Drive In's, there is one approx. 40 miles from Cinesea, in Vineland, NJ. It's called the Delsea Drive In, and is the last operating drive in in the state of NJ. It was strictly film until 2014 (I think) but now converted to digital. Guy who runs it is a really nice guy who has a true passion running his drive in.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 13, 2017 08:41 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Morning Dave!

I know about the Delsea, as a matter of fact I was told about it years ago by none other than John Black. I had considered proposing it as a field trip for the bunch, but the travel and the timing would clobber the Saturday night show! (Highlight of the Social Calendar...-at least MY Social Calendar!)

I will get there eventually!

When we moved into our house in 1992, there were still the sad remains of the local drive-in a few miles away. It got bulldozed not too long afterwards for a small shopping mall.

I'm sure we all appreciate breakfast at the Golden Corral and all the neat stuff at Target, but somehow it doesn't have that same mystique as a Drive-In Theater!

--------------------

Mitchell Dvoskin
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2017 03:03 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fox News Story

quote:
Movie-goers in Nashville are in for a unique experience as plans have been unveiled for an indoor drive-in with a 1960s feel, Fox 17 reports.

The “August Moon Drive-In” is slated to open at the intersection of James Robertson Parkway and Interstate 24 in 2018.

But this is not your typical drive-in.

The environment in the 40,000 square-foot space with an air-supported dome will be complete with 50 classic cars, full-sized trees, hammocks, a starry night with an August “sailor’s moon” and even fireflies. It also boasts the largest non-IMAX movie screen in the North America.

“The August Moon Drive-In will be the first of its kind and an attraction that dramatically enhances the way people experience movies,” a news release sent to Fox 17 News said.

The drive-in will operate daily, with an initial schedule of 18 showings a week.

The project is being designed by Michael Counts, who is based out of New York and has been called a “master of immersive entertainment” by the New York Times. Counts is best known for creating “The Walking Dead Experience.”

“The August Moon Drive-In is conceived as a mini indoor theme park that transports people in space and time to a quintessentially American experience – where that perfect summer night at sunset, where crickets chirp in the distance and the audience breathes in the scent of fresh meadow air, can be repeated with absolute consistency within what is effectively a giant movie set. In addition to being a re-invention of the movie-going experience, August Moon will allow audiences time to explore, play, and dine, and of course, watch their movie.”

Seating will also prove to be a unique experience as viewers can choose from seats in vintage cars to a picnic blanket spread out under the stars.

Movie-goers can enjoy American comfort food in multiple dining areas or grab a drink at several bars. There’s also a private dining “tree house” for events and parties.

Perfect for Music City, the drive-in will have live music programming before and after the movie.

Movies shown will be first-run movies as well as film favorites. The “August Moon community” will be able to vote on certain titles through social media to choose the programming at selected times.

Not really a drive-in, but an indoor theatre designed to simulate a drive-in and the seats are in vintage cars.

David C. Lucidi
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2017 06:15 PM      Profile for David C. Lucidi   Email David C. Lucidi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mitchell I think that may be one way to conceptually keep the drive in going moving forward, as you wouldn't have to worry about losing crowds to weather (i.e., too humid, too rainy, too cold, etc.) and may attract the new "razzle dazzle" generation who is all about the newest fads, etc.

But I also think it loses a lot of the charm, too. For me, esp. years ago, taking my prized car (show worthy) to the drive in, parking, sitting outside, having people comment on the car, and just enjoying the "outside atmosphere" of people around you is what made the drive in, the "drive in". I remember years ago seeing a double feature with one of the movies being Snakes on a Plane. When Samuel L. Jackson delivered his famous "I am SICK of these mother (bleep) snakes..." line, the WHOLE drive in went insane!! Horns honked, headlights flashed, people screamed, cheered, and laughed. It was an awesome moment me and my wife still get a kick out of remembering. I also think drive in concession food is one of a kind. I just don't feel these things will happen with the new Nashville location as it's going to be 'corporatized', if you will.

Of course, I could be totally wrong, too. Perhaps that's just nostalgia kicking into high gear from me, the same way I prefer film over digital. It will be an interesting experiment to see if all the investment into such a setting will pay off long term.

And Steve, if you ever do get the chance, check out Delsea. The sign out front is run down, the screen is a little worn (well, screen 1 is), but the place is run by good people and you'll have a blast! And if you meet the owner, 'Doc', you'll usually find him patrolling the grounds or working concessions. Nice guy, very friendly, and fun to talk to if you can catch him for a minute (he's always on the move!).

BTW Mitchell, Fast Food restaurant Johnny Rockets said in 2014, that they were going to open up 200 Drive In's by 2018: http://screenrant.com/drive-in-theaters-returning/ But I haven't seen anymore come of it since then.

(And Apologies to Joe if this got too off topic from your initial post :-(

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 13, 2017 06:39 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,

You are within striking distance of Shankweiller's, the oldest surviving drive-in on this (-or I presume any) planet:

Shankweiller's

I have family in Chester County: maybe someday I'll go there myself.

I was in this bind once: I was among the folks that put on the first revived CineSea (CineSea 4B), after John Black left us. Meanwhile my nephew's oldest was having her first birthday party over West of Philadelphia the same weekend.

I HAD to go to both!

So I went to Wildwood until Sunday morning and then very quickly zoomed up through Delaware to my sister's house for the party.

On the way there, I drove right past the Delsea and regretted I didn't have time to stop and at least take a look!

-That's what happens when you try to please everyone!

--------------------

David C. Lucidi
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2017 07:03 PM      Profile for David C. Lucidi   Email David C. Lucidi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Steve,

Man I know the feeling of trying to please everyone....funny how when that happens, *we* are the ones left displeased! [Razz] [Frown]

And yes, Shankweiller's is one of the ones I previously was referring to when I mentioned I have 3 choices:

-Shankweiller's (about an hour)
-Becky's (ok this is maybe 1 hour 20 mins but eh, who's counting).
-Delsea (about an hour)

I'm VERY lucky to still have the option to go to a Drive In without a massively long drive (and to have more than one choice, at that!).

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 13, 2017 07:15 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of our local Drive-Ins Drove-Off years ago. There's the abandoned footprint of one about 50 miles away: that's all that's left now. If I'm ever in the mood to risk ticks and "No-Trespassing", maybe I'll check it out.

For me it's strictly a vacation-thing. I go up to Maine pretty often, they have quite a few up there.

--------------------

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2017 11:56 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This reminds me of a movie I saw years ago, I think it came out in the 1980's. the family in the movie owned a drive in and lived in a house built into the back side of the screen. Does anyone remember what movie that was? Hopefully I'm remembering it correctly.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 14, 2017 06:02 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe!

-your dream lives on:

quote:
jackalopejess on August 16, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Anybody know if this land is still for sale? Or who to contact? I’ve driven by it recently and it looks in the same state of disrepair. No visible for-sale-call sign from what I could see.

With new tools available (particularly crowdfunding) I’m thinking it wouldn’t be completely impossible to open this place again, but I need someone or something to start with. Any info would be appreciated!

Diamond State

Of course as time passes living the dream gets more and more complicated! We've long past the point of a re-opening, now we are talking restoration too.

-days being what they are, any revival would have to include a digital installation.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC