8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Semi-Retired

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Semi-Retired
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 13, 2017 03:31 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it might be time to catch up playing with films and projectors, as of today I finished the school runs for special needs kids we have done for the last 4 years.

Today was a tough one as the kids put on eats and drinks plus a well done musical number at the school this afternoon for us parting drivers. Its always hard to say goodby, but this one was extra hard for all due to the contact we had with those kids on a daily basis. We lost the contract to somone who claim they can do it cheaper...I guess it all comes down to $$$$$

I spoke to the principal afterwards and told her how I had learned how fortunate we are to have our health and we talked about the future challenges these kids will be faced with. One young kid now 16 yrs old on my run for the 4 yrs, had been in and out of foster care all his life and even though he has a violent backgound, has been brilliant both on my run and at school. When he got kicked out of his last foster home he arrived at school with nothing more than a black rubbish bag with all his books and clothes and that was it...sad.

So folks enjoy each day, dont complain and appreciate life.

For me I am having a break but will return to do a bit of charter work for the same bus company later on.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 13, 2017 04:06 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,
Yes sounds like a cost cutting exercise but not always the best move for them,you've certainly done your bit so well done for that and sounds like you enjoyed your time there which is a shame it had to end, Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted April 13, 2017 04:37 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes its a shame when that happens.

My son works at a big name supermarket Petrol station and they used to have 2 manning but put it down to one.

But they always had a person on hand to pop out to help old people and infirm, or disabled etc or just general help.

But now the person has to actually ask for help and wait while they ring the store to stop someone there and send them over.

So the person has to wait for a good while and probably embarressed etc. rather them them seeing the need and poppping straight out etc. Also people who could really do with a bit of help don`t get any now.

Daft shortsightedness.

They make a fortune there anyway comapred to the store man hours wise so very stingey and no need at all.

My aunt has to get injections in her spine and just been told the NHS won`t fund them any more.

The pain she is in and her life is going to be hell on earth.

Wonder what other things that is happening too.

Number crunchers don`t know the value of anything sadly Graham.

Best Mark.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 13, 2017 04:40 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The entire world is now run by accountants very sadly. Most have no concept whatsoever, of what it takes to provide a decent service level for any given task.
Even fewer actually give a damn.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 13, 2017 05:26 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend worked for Odeon cinemas most of his life but when he reached the age of 65 he was unceremoniously dismissed as they told him they didn't employ anyone of that age.

--------------------
Maurice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 13, 2017 05:37 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
To get to 65 before being mandatorily dismissed, is pretty good these days. Insurance becomes an issue for employers beyond this age.

Many workplaces nowadays want shut of you by the time you hit 55, never mind 65. That leaves most with at least 11 years to fill without income before reaching state pension age in 2017 here in the UK.

--------------------

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 13, 2017 09:51 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
anyone that get finished at 55 and need some extra money come and do a few days a week for me building up fairground rides throughout the summer not recommended to anyone with a bad back etc

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 13, 2017 10:26 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I might just do that David thanks, should the same thing ever apply to myself.

I love engineering and these things need to be erected speedily but with care, precision and accuracy I'd imagine, given the imperative need for a 100% safety record with these things.

A great attention to detail I'd imagine, would be a number one attribute for such work.

We are currently world leaders in our safety record in the industry we are in. I am extremely proud to be part of that particular record above all others achieved.

--------------------

Lindsay Morris
Film Handler

- posted April 13, 2017 09:10 PM      Profile for Lindsay Morris   Email Lindsay Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree entirely with Andrew re his quote that "the world is run by accountants" EXACTLY correct.

Sadly many of those have a very myopic view of how to really run a business & will often deny miniscule expenditure to nip a problem in the bud & then a year or so later have to budget big bucks to fix that same problem that is now a major one.

Many seem overly focused on totally to the letter following procedures with no allowed deviation.

I dumped 3 accounts in my 20 years of running my cinema business as all they appeared interested in was having me fully comply with THEIR paperwork. This MAY have made their job a wee bit easier but was totally erroneous as the cash flows etc were fully obvious from other areas of the books..at least enough to satisfy the Tax Man. NEVER had a query from the Tax Man at all.

So at age 75 I sold & retired but am way busier now than I was before. Part of that is helping a community run drive in cinema handle their technical issues under direction of the supplier who is based on the other side of this country. He is able to "Remote in" and I do the hands & feet stuff.

Keep your brain active Graham & the rest will follow. [Wink]

--------------------
Lindsay

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 14, 2017 12:40 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone for your comments..

Its true its very much down the the $$$$ with little interest if any to those involved of its effect. One driver that was sitting next to me at the farewell at the school... one tough Samoan I should add, had a young girl come up to him along with her teacher with tears rolling down her face to say goodby. He told me later that one of the kids he takes to school gave him a Christmas card he had made at school for him, with a photo of this kid on the front of it. When he got home he put it up with the other cards when his wife said to him.. who is this? he replied one of the kids on his run.

Its stories like that came out yesterday...very touching....good people. and thats something the money people just dont see and are not interested. That same sentiment was expressed yesterday by one of the big bosses.

Anyway we all got a farewell present from the company as we left... a mug.....a big hug from our female manager who was always nice...then the door [Smile] ..thats life..
 -

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted April 14, 2017 03:40 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A sad day for you but also, in a way, a chance for you to relax and enjoy what you have worked for. [Wink]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 14, 2017 03:44 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Tom [Smile]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 14, 2017 07:39 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes,all the very best to you during your retirement Graham.
I am certain in no time at all, you will be wondering how you ever managed to fit "work" into your busy life schedule! 😂😊

Stay fit, active and healthy, but also have lots of FUN, you've earned the right to it! [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2017 03:32 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,
I retired just over a year ago and love it. Plenty of time for hobbies,some voluntary work,and I joined the local ramblers and walk twice a week.I go to Duxford Air Museum once a week and help restore their civil airliner collection. the only thing is,you have to remember to call the aircraft aeroplanes,not planes!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 17, 2017 04:46 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Andrew and David.

David your absolutely right and its good you are out walking and keeping active. I intend to do the same oh! calling aeroplanes.. planes, is about as bad as calling ships.. boats [Big Grin]

PS. What type of aircraft are you working on?

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted April 18, 2017 10:52 AM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,
just got back from Duxford and have been working on a VC 10,standing on the wings cleaning them. we also have a pre production Concorde and 10 other civil airliners that my group are responsible for,great fun!
Duxford is only 15 miles from me,and as a former RAF base,was the location for Douglas Bader and his tin legs!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 19, 2017 04:55 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds brilliant David. I will have Google it.

Back around 1995 I took this short video when we operated HS748s and F27 aircraft. We replaced those aircraft with ATR72 known as the plastic fantastic [Smile] During those days I worked on many types B767 B737 Ba146 whisper jet and the like. Anyway here is the only record of those long ago days..you might find of interest.

https://youtu.be/6nrz3u1B1_k

Plus this neat music video...not mine I sould add..

https://youtu.be/1b0X5YZwCMk

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2017 09:30 AM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
great stuff Graham,thanks for posting that.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 19, 2017 06:40 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your welcome David.

One of the interesting things I did when I was on the weekend roster was to do the pre-flight etc on the Chatham Islands twice a week air service that we did for the govt after Safe Air stopped flying there. The 748 had to do the all round 800 mile trip across water so we fitted at the rear of the cabin a inflatable life raft attached to a pull cord in case of ditching.

That was one pre-flight that I gave the aircraft a really good looking over before signing my name to its departure. We used to fill the wing tanks until fuel was just coming out of the tank vents, it was filled to the absolute max for that round trip. I was always pleased to hear the sound those dart engines on its return in the evening and usually gave the loaders a hand unloading the boxes of crayfish for export. Between passengers and freight it was always full. Thankfully we never had any problems.. the flying brick did the job [Smile]

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2017 10:49 AM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,
its a shame you are on the other side of the world because I suspect you would love Duxford as a volunteer.
it amuses me that the pre production Concorde has 2 escape hatches for the crew to jump from with parachutes!!
I think it was the then minister for transport,Tony Benn,who took a flight on it and he too had to have a parachute.
Of course no one ever had to exit the Concorde in such a dramatic way.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 21, 2017 05:10 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks David

I have been looking at some videos of the Duxford Air Museum on you-tube, its certainly a big place with lots of very interesting aircraft. [Cool]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 30, 2017 05:27 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny how things work out [Roll Eyes] got a call from the bus company if I could take rugby supporters to a game this Saturday afternoon, reluctantly I said yes so it looks like I am back on the road again. Also asked can I do a evening Lions game next week, they are out here on tour Nooooo to that one...one is enough [Big Grin]

So much for retirement [Roll Eyes] [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC