8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » DUNKIRK-this looks fabulous

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DUNKIRK-this looks fabulous
Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2017 02:49 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New trailer. Almost 4 million view already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7O7BtBnsG4

I am hoping to see in 70mm or Imax.

Here is a list of theaters in either Imax 15/70 or 70mm:

http://www.in70mm.com/news/2017/dunkirk/index.htm

|  IP: Logged

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2017 02:54 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The BFI Imax is near me and on that list so that's the place for me.
I saw Oklahoma as a 4K scan from the ToddAo 70mm negative at NFI 1, BFI Southbank, yesterday (as a free show for members) and that looked great a 15/70 print of a new film should beat it hands down though.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted May 08, 2017 04:24 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice to bear so near to get there Brian, should be amazing.

Going to be supberb on the Blu thin thing from this type of master too.

Best Mark.

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2017 12:23 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am planning to drive more than 300 miles to Fort Worth, Texas to see it in 15/70 IMAX.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2017 02:20 PM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The closest theater listed to me would be 240 miles in Maine, but I'm betting a couple of NY theaters will release it in 70mm as the date gets closer.

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2017 06:13 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
C'mon fellas, let's be honest.... you're only interested in it coz Harry Styles is making a big screen appearance!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ha! Ha!

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2017 08:06 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My late Grandfather was there in one of the rescue ships.
It really messed him up for the rest of his life.

He got "shell shocked". Spent around 6 months of his life
in a mental home with severe trauma at the horrors he saw.

He never spoke about it much like most of his generation.

So I ask do we really need another War Film for our entertainment ?

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 25, 2017 09:19 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-actually we do.

People's historical memory often goes back about as far as their last carton of milk, and those who forget the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them.

I read a biography a couple of years ago of Winston Churchill. During the worst days of WWII one of his aids was alone with him and asked him "How do you think it's going?". Churchill said "I believe in three months you and I will both be dead.". It's important to remember it can become like this if things go badly enough.

Maybe the best way we can honor your grandfather is to remember his sacrifices. As long as it tells the story honestly I'm for it.

I remember a History Channel show a couple of years ago where this 80 something year old Veteran was talking about his days in France after D day. He was hiding in some brush and a German soldier wandered close by. He realized if the other guy saw him he'd be riddled with machine gun fire, so he leaped out and slit the man's throat.

There's this elderly man, maybe 50 years later. He started to cry and he said "I was a nice Methodist boy from Ohio. I wasn't brought up to kill people."

-show it like that.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2017 11:37 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if someone will ever make an accurate account of a
movie about Churchill exposing him for the racist he was ?

--------------------

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2017 04:21 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New Dunkirk is directed by Christopher Nolan and Harry Styles what could possibly go wrong. I have seen a few films by Nolan still wondering what the hell they were about. If his camerawork is on par to normal we will all need sick bags for the sea scenes. He usually has Leonardo (not to good with water) or Michael Caine no doubt Caine will pop up somewhere for another pay cheque.

Churchill living proof if you live long enough you will outlive all your critics and eventually get some things right.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 25, 2017 04:38 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winston Churchill was a man who found his moment.

He was a man of war in a time of war. He was a man of action in a time of chaos. He was a man of resolve in a time of absolute terror.

In any other time he would have just been another failed politician, but I'd hate to imagine the world today without him there and then.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 25, 2017 06:10 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reading this topic reminded me of this old army knife my father kept in his possesion after his return from active WW2 service in Burma. It was in his later years he would talk about the american pilots who kept them supplied and the Indian people who he had a huge respect for.

I only know that he was an officer attached to the Indian army and the only photo was of him and a group of others looking very scruffy and armed with american weapons etc. He once said more people died of malaria which everyone seemed to get and other disease, than enemy action, they were terrible conditions. when he passed away I returned to the UK for the funeral and as I sorted out all his stuff for my mother I came across his old knife so decided to keep it.

I think the hardest thing after the war for so many, including my father was trying to return to a normal job and life after being away so long...those years away had left its mark.

Oh! One war film we both liked and I would highly recommend is "Hell in the Pacific" 1968 starring Lee Marvin and Toshiro Mifune, both men stuck on a island and both have to put there hate and distrust for each other aside to work together to survive and get of the island. Its interesting to note both actors in real life had served time in the Pacific during the war...its a brilliant film.
 -

[ May 25, 2017, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: Graham Ritchie ]

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2017 03:28 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham that is a very interesting but sad post there.
Thanks for sharing it.

I don't want to add anymore to this as it will turn very
political and this forum is not the place. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 26, 2017 10:33 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I might watch Dunkirk soon and see what its like, although I do have my resevations about it.

Years ago war films in general like The Longest Day, that type of thing, tended to be made in a way that glossed over the true horror of what it was about filling it with movie stars.. I guess they took a more reserved approach to filming it, not to shock there audience.

However there were films like "All Quiet on the Western Front" from 1929 that are quite remarkable in there honest approach.

Like Steve said, I think its important for people see such films as a reminder.

The last 35mm film I ran at the cinema that covers that period in history, that years ago I doubt very much would have been made, due to the subject and content was "The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas" even though the ending of the film in the gas chamber of those kids is horrific. I do think such films should be seen by all young people, once again as a reminder of the past and to make sure that it will never happen again.
 -

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2017 03:29 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surely these things should be in documentary style as a reminder.

Not as a money making "entertainment" served up with Popcorn and
Pepsi and Hotdogs at your local cinema.

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 27, 2017 04:24 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you saying David films like Schindler's List should never been made for the cinema?.

Those films should not be looked on as entertainment...they are not. The people that came to The Boy in Striped Pajamas as an example were mostly elderly. One couple I talked to after a screening told me her elderly parents has been held a concentration camp during the last war...they did not come to scoff popcorn and coke.

There are all type of films made for all types of audience and if there is a strong message to be told in some of them so be it and not be denied a screening at your local...thats what I would call censorship and that's a bad thing in my view.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 27, 2017 05:55 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Both Schindler's List and the Boy In The Striped Pyjamas are two of the most poignant, memorable and downright upsetting films I have ever seen.

Cinema at it's most thought provoking and impactful best.
Lest We Forget.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 28, 2017 09:52 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The most recent postings have been deleted because we have a rule (surprise!) stating "no discussion of politics or religion on these boards."

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2017 10:04 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham I was not touching upon the issue of censorship in any form.

I was stating that such topics should be filmed as strong , accurate, informative, truthful and highly educational documentaries. Not entertainment based profit making commercial
films.

I view such things as exploitive of others sufferings.

I accept your point that some members of an audience may
have personal experience of such atrocities and wars in
general.

I mean no disrespect to them.

However I have shown both Schindler's List and The Boy In The
Striped Pyjamas when first released.

I can assure you that there were many customers munching away at
Popcorn , Hotdogs , Ice Creams , Sweets and drinking huge amounts
of Pepsi at these screenings.

In fact the food and drink sales went through the roof at these
showings. Just the same as any other Blockbuster or Walt Disney
holiday time picture.

No doubt DUNKIRK audiences will do exactly the same.

Which I feel kind of sickening and in bad taste.
( no pun intended )

That's one reason why i feel serious topics such as these
are more suited to Documentary style films and not the Commercial Cinema type of story telling film.

Commercial films like these have a tendency to bias and lie and
distort truths for the sake of entertainment value.

So i for one wont be watching DUNKIRK at a cinema.

As for that bloke Harry Styles. Whoever he may be i have never
heard of him ! [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC