8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Largest 70mm release.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Largest 70mm release.
Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2017 04:44 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DUNKIRK will be the biggest release of any film on 70mm in 25 years, according to Kodak's Facebook site. It will open at more than a hundred cinemas in the USA and Canada in both 70mm 5 perf and 15/70mm horizontal (IMAX). FAR AND AWAY (1992) was the last film with this large of a release in this format.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

|  IP: Logged

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2017 07:34 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tickets purchased for the first show of the day on 7/21 in 15/70! I'm so blessed that REEL Imax is only 10 minutes from my workplace! Hope the movie's good... the image sure will be!

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2017 07:27 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Outstanding movie. Even the trailers before the feature were on 70mm film. I really wasn't expecting that. I thought that they would show the trailers from a DCP cartridge or show no trailers at all. One of the trailers was for the new Bladerunner sequel. It looks positively stunning.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2017 02:45 PM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am happy, they run also a 70mm print here in Berlin germany.
We have still 3 cinemas in town, they are able to run 70mm.

Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2017 01:50 PM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen it twice in 70mm 5 perf. It is not only a great movie, but great 70mm cinematography. Whenever I see a film print on the big screen anymore, it brings me back to the days when all theaters showed film and I took it for granted. Now, I don't know how long it will be until my next big-screen film viewing.

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2017 06:47 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Next up "Murder on the Orient Express" Coming in November. Shot on 65mm and is going to be released on 5 perf 70mm. The 70mm Renaissance has begun.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2017 06:20 PM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kenneth Branagh made a film of Hamlet, a 70mm release, which was rare even in the 90's. Now, something tells me working with Christopher Nolan has encouraged him to make a 70mm film again. Very comforting to see how film is still alive.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 03, 2017 01:06 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great credit to Mr Nolan! He's certainly reinforcing the message that you can't beat film as a shooting and projecting medium, and hopefully this makes an impression on young, up and coming directors.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted August 03, 2017 10:10 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Larry of Arabia was the big deal in '62 - caught that at the age of 8, still remember the trailer

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted August 04, 2017 10:30 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just read this about "Dunkirk".
It was on Ignacio's website:
"The success of "Dunkerque" is very important for future filming and premieres in 70 mm. Moreover, not only it was also opened in 50 theaters in 35 mm anamorphic, but according to my source in Fotokem , the only film lab in Los Angeles, there have been a small number of positives in 16 mm. And Nolan plans to take a short print run in Super-8 Scope also, paradoxically In Germany!"
Does this mean a digest? [Eek!]

Here is his website. I used Google Translate:
http://mimundoensuper-8.blogspot.com.es/search?updated-max=2017-07-29T13:46:00%2B02:00&max-results=7
Great stuff in there.

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2017 05:03 PM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I simply cannot believe any 16mm prints were struck, let alone super 8. Maybe something has been lost in translation?

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2017 07:35 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The references to 16mm and super 8 are pretty clear and don't require any translation. Though it is hard to believe. It can only be prints for people on the film or for Nolan himself. Maybe the BFI wants a 16mm print? Still, that is what it says...

'GREAT PREMIERE OF MOST IMPORTANT format in a quarter century.
The success of "Dunkerque" is very important for future filming and premieres in 70 mm. By the way, by the way, r funny t is using both Tarantino and his glorious Ultrapanavision 70, and Nolan give 70 mm, using it indoors reduced) in the United States, "Dunkerque" only is displayed in 31 rooms IMAX 70 mm with 15 holes and 70 mm 109 rooms with five holes, thereby achieving be the premiere of the much more important last quarter century cinema format. Moreover, not only it was also opened in 50 theaters in 35 mm anamorphic, but according to my source in Fotokem , the only film lab in Los Angeles, there have been a small number of positives in 16 mm. And Nolan plans to take a short print run in Super-8 Scope also, paradoxically In Germany!'

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2017 09:16 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully these 8mm anamorphic prints will come to market. Thank you Christopher Nolan for renewing the interest in film to the mainstream masses.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2017 10:51 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If any of these do come onto the market in either Super 8 or 16mm can you imagine the interest they will create and the price they will command? Pure gold!!

--------------------
Dave

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2017 10:54 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In an ideal world Nolan would see the market for these and get them on sale when the DVD/Blu Ray versions are made available, especially as the pre-print work had already been done.

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2017 11:07 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... and if you're reading this, Mr Nolan, nice clamshell case with original artwork please...

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2017 03:26 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, regardless of what he does, it would be out of my budget. However, I'm starting to see an opinion that "Dunkirk" is less repeatable than other Nolan films in terms of level of interest and details to discover. A full-frame (Imax reduction) print of Interstellar would be an absolute dream, however.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 15, 2017 06:30 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This 16mm and Super 8 news is sensational - whatever the intention is - but I'd imagine that Mr Nolan has something more ambitious than simply watching them at home in mind!

If any film director is liable to take a look at this forum, it's him, so I'll add that members here would love an update on how it might be possible to see a 16mm or Super 8 print, and I'm sure that some of us would jump at the chance to at least buy the trailer on 16mm or Super 8 scope.

Interesting also to see the reference to the Super 8 printing being "paradoxically in Germany", as this helps to confirm that there's no other lab in the world capable of printing copies!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Paul Trigwell
Junior

- posted August 17, 2017 10:40 AM      Profile for Paul Trigwell   Email Paul Trigwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was happy to have been able to see Dunkirk in three film formate 35mm, 70mm and 70mm IMAX. Shame more films don't get a release like this.

Bruno Heughebaert
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2017 10:52 AM      Profile for Bruno Heughebaert   Email Bruno Heughebaert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A 70mm print of dunkirk will be screened during the next widescreen weekend in bradford (opening screening).
Widescreen Weekend

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC