8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » OK, let's get this straight ... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: OK, let's get this straight ...
Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2017 04:34 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can now clarify and solve the mystery of David's faded late 1980s 'LPP' print.

My parcel arrived today and the film in question is The Forth Protocol from 1987 - only checked on the rewinds so far but spools 1 & 3 are both faded and spool 2 is perfect Agfa colour.

With my trusty backlight and lupe in hand I have just about been able to see the tiniest edge markings ever on spool 1 and 3 which state clearly it is on Fuji safety film and not LPP.

'Scope 16mm feature prints are usually struck in the year the film is originally released so all this means is the faded spools were printed on possibly old stock Fuji hence the fade to purple whilst the perfect spool is on the then current and fade free 1987 Agfa stock.

No LPP to be seen - truly I have owned and still own shelves full of LPP prints on all guages and have never seen any fade - the only poor LPP prints I have seen started out that way ie: bad colour grading, processing errors or poor master material.

I am not worried or upset about this feature - at £35 it was a gamble worth taking, and the other £35 one I bought from David - Firewalker - is a near mint poly feature just a tad on the dark side but nothing my EX4000p wont brighten up with the 500w xenon jacked up a bit.

Kevin

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 25, 2017 04:56 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe we are all still safe after all then Kevin,..phew.

Thanks for the explanation there Kevin and if nothing else, it teaches us all never to confuse LPP with Fuji stock or any other. [Smile]

Nice to see the Agfa reel does what it says on the tin, just the same as those we have and love on Super 8mm from this era.

Maybe the lupe and backlight should be made more readily available Kevin? [Wink]

[ September 25, 2017, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC