8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » "It's a Mad Mad World" on Blu-ray

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "It's a Mad Mad World" on Blu-ray
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 29, 2017 03:32 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At last its been released on Region B. I pre-ordered this new release last month from amazon.uk and its brilliant.

From The Criterion Collection its a two disc edition, complete with a really imformative booklet, plus heaps of extras on the discs.

Restored 4K digital film transfer from the original 65mm original camera negative, with 5:1 surround soundtrack remastered from the 35mm 6-track magnetic tracks it looks and sound fantastic....highly recommend it.

Presented in its original aspect ratio of 2.76:1 this release onto Blu-ray is an absolute winner.
 -
 -
 -
 -

Well you cant ask more than this. The work behind this restoration is truly amazing

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 29, 2017 03:34 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the greatest studies of human nature ever made!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 29, 2017 03:35 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Truly a top quality release there Graham,how could anyone possibly argue about the quality of today's digital releases?

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 29, 2017 11:12 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just thought I would mention, the movie has a running time of 2hrs 45minutes so its quite long. There is a Overture and Intermission. [Cool]
 -
Just remember folks the money is buried below the big.... "W".. [Smile]
 -
[Smile]

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted September 30, 2017 08:58 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But no matter how you figure it out...you're still missing twenty-one minutes! - That's the version I saw in 1963 - Shorty

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 30, 2017 11:07 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to say that, but you beat me Shorty!

I don't know if it was an extra on some "MAD" DVD or bluray, but i downloaded a version of this, complete with the intro muasic and everything else, but it's NOT the laserdisc version, with the 21 minutes, (and Shorty, MORE missing footage!) in a half restored state, and not as it was on that deluxe laserdisc. It was really an eye opener! Some neat lines that i had never seen.

It must have been some restoration project, as there were two sections, maybe 30 seconds or so, where the audio was available, but only still shots for a few parts of scenes that are now more complete. Even in it's unrestored state, it was AWESOME.

I'm sure that the bluray is good, but I would really prefer to watch the whole thing than a restored short version.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 30, 2017 01:45 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I should have mentioned as I have only just looked at Disc Two

"The Extended Version". 197 minutes

As stated on Disc Two

The original road-show version ran for approximately 202 minutes, including overture, intermission, and exit music. With the participation of producer director Stanley Kramer the film was subsquently cut down to about 163 minutes for general theatrical release. Much of the delated footage has since been lost, but approximately twenty minute worth still exists, from 70mm release prints or audio elements.

In 1991 MGM/UA released an extended version of the film on laserdisc that incorporated all the missing footage available at that time. Criterion is pleased to present a new extended version that includes even more rediscovered footage. To maintain continuity, we have inserted still photography for the scenes that exist only as audio, and supplied subtitles where the audio is missing.
[Smile]

Gary Sayers
Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2017 03:07 PM      Profile for Gary Sayers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great film!

I've had the single disc blue ray import for a couple of years now.

Although it says 'region A' on the Amazon UK listing (and on the rear cover), it's actually region free.

When looking for blu rays not released here, I always check through reviews to see if any of them mention about being region free.

On DVDs, I've found this to be the case with many films released in region 1, particularly classic Warner Brothers,that are actually region free.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 01, 2017 03:10 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary

I noticed good reviews of "Free Willy" in the US saying A.B,with C untested. However on amazon its A only, so far I cant find anything to confirm it will play on B . I am not sure about taking the chance of buying it just yet.

Amazon UK has good to deal with even with, with standard post of three weeks or more the titles like "The Cruel Sea" and many othere are very good value.

PS Just ordered "Journey to the Center of the Earth" 1959 [Wink]
[Smile]

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted October 01, 2017 03:32 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keaton has more to do at the boathouse - and the Entre' Acte Bass titles have him as a caricature during intermission - Tracy phone call with Keaton is 4-minutes already - Hackett and Rooney at the club work a few gags - Howard Da Silva is in the credits, but you nver see him, nor Chick Chandler nor Madelyn Rhue - Merman arguing with Thomas at the gas station...and it goes on abit more - Shorty

Gary Sayers
Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2017 04:23 PM      Profile for Gary Sayers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham,

The main problem with the Amazon reviews is that they lump together the reviews of all the different releases.

All the reviews for three different blu rays of 'It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World' are on each of the listings. It's not always clear which release the review is actually for.

A good Site for checking is DVDBeaver. They give comprehensive information on DVDs and blu rays, including region codes. Unfortunately, they don't cover every USA release but there's quite a few.

You can see it here: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/reviews.htm

You just click on a letter for the titles begining with that letter.

The details for 'It's a Mad,....', covers both the MGM single disc (same as I have) and the Criterion (USA release version). It correctly identifies the MGM as region free and Criterion as region A.

You can see it here: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews56/its_a_mad_mad_mad_mad_world_blu-ray.htm

Another great choice with 'Journey to the Centre of the Earth' by the way. You can never get enough James Mason - a class act.

Gary

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 02, 2017 04:16 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Gary

I am afraid "Free Willy" just aint there [Frown]

With amazon.uk the release of the Criterion Mad Mad World region "B" only arrived in stock about three weeks ago. I placed a pre-order around 6 weeks ago, when they announced its soon to be release on Region "B". It looks like it takes a while for region "A" discs to get to the UK, and unlike DVD, the blu-ray discs you get in the UK have the same region "B" coding in NZ so that works out really well. [Smile]

PS Thanks Joe I have been looking at some of the extra scenes added to the extended disc two version, but so far what I have seen its the shorter one for me [Smile]

Gary Sayers
Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2017 06:21 AM      Profile for Gary Sayers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,

You could always buy the Spanish release of 'Free Willy' if you don't mind the cover text and disc menus being in Spanish. You only need to select English audio and you're good to go. The titles and credits will be the original one's too (at least that's been the case with every single Spanish DVD I have purchased).

You can get it from Amazon UK but I've always ordered direct from Amazon Spain. It has a handy currency converter so you know exactly how much you are going to pay before you commit.

Returns are easy too, they pay all return postage regardless of it being from a foreign country.

I've bought from Amazon France, Germany and Italy as well, with no problem.

It's on Amazon Spain here: https://www.amazon.es/Liberad-Willy-Blu-ray-Jason-Richter/dp/B00ZVB8A2S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506942376&sr=8-1&keywords=B00ZVB8A2S

Gary

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 02, 2017 11:46 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I REALLY love DVD Beaver! It is an excellent site, my top choice for bluray reviews and the comparisons are always excellent an unbiased!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 02, 2017 02:40 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Gary for that link to Spain.

I will order a copy from them tonight [Cool] [Smile]

Gary Sayers
Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2017 03:55 PM      Profile for Gary Sayers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think, like you said up-thread Graham, the reviews that said region A & B with C untested makes it a bit of a risk to buy the USA release.

The thing that puzzles me though is that the scan of the rear cover that's on Amazom.com doesn't indicate any region coding at all! Amazon.com also say it is 'Multi Format' but also region A. All very confusing!

I've also noticed a seller on ebay UK has what looks to be the USA release listed as region free.
They have sold 22 of these already. Trouble is, you can't always tell if they are far east imports (although their feedback doesn't have anyone complaining about this).

It may be useful to message the seller to see if they are genuine WB releases?

Lots of Warners DVDs are region free but say region 1 on the cover so there is a possibility that it's the same with many of their blu rays, who knows?

I guess you could always take a chance with Amazon and if it doesn't work, just return it under 'not useful for intended purpose'.

Obviously, the Spanish release doesn't carry this risk and is most definitely region B.

Gary

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 02, 2017 09:47 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Gary

I will head for Spain tonight.. [Smile]

PS...Ordered on its way [Cool] [Smile]

[ October 03, 2017, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: Graham Ritchie ]

Gary Sayers
Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2017 11:15 AM      Profile for Gary Sayers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great stuff Graham, glad to have helped.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2017 11:20 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with all the "extended" versions of Mad World, is that none of them are the "Roadshow" version. They are made up of some footage from the roadshow, and a lot of trims and alternate takes.

On the old LaserDisc release, you could tell what was from the roadshow and what was a trim or alternate take, because they did not properly unsqueeze the non linear anamorphic footage, that was designed to be projected on the deeply curved Cinerama screen. They fixed this for the Criterion bluray, and added more footage from the roadshow version, but unfortunately, also left many of the trims and alternate take footage.

Personally, I like the shorter general release version better. The longer versions slow the film down while adding nothing of value, and in some scenes, change the feel of the film. For example, the scene where Phil Silvers brings Mike Mazurki home with the medicine, in the Criterion "Roadshow" version, it is clear that Mike Maurki repeatedly physically threatens Phil Silvers. By the time the scene ends, you feel sorry for Phil Silvers. In the general release version, Phil Silvers reluctantly does a good deed, and gets himself shafted. Much funnier.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 04, 2017 03:15 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary

Thanks for that advice on getting the blu-ray of Free Willy from amazon in Spain.

It arrived today and screened it tonight...will do a quick review on it [Cool] [Smile]

Gary Sayers
Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2017 12:37 PM      Profile for Gary Sayers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're very welcome Graham. Pleased it all worked out well for you.

Gary

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 18, 2017 01:53 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So pleased with Free Willy I have ordered another Blue- ray from Spain, and this one I have been after for a while Los Comancheros :)in englis "The Comancheros" from 1961 John Wayne, Stuart Whitman, Lee Marvin....good reviews.

Thank goodness for Google and Pedido realizado Spanish Translator [Big Grin]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC