8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Italy's totally ****** UP POST!!! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Italy's totally ****** UP POST!!!
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 13, 2018 11:48 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me say first thing, that the ebay seller, Alberto Vangelisti is not responsible for the terrible Italian post situation! I'll explain ...

I bought a film from Alberto on, I believe, December 4th, and Alberto had it in the actual Italian post by December 6th ...

Then the Italian post threw everyone a major "curve ball".

Unknown to most of the public, (and I only know thanks to Alberto), that the Italian post made some form of deal with Amazon that they would have certain packages that would have a guaranteed delivery date before Christmas ...

What this did was that any packages that were not Amazon, would have to be on a waiting list, in they're storage houses wherever, until all of the Amazon packages were delivered.

What this means is that my package would actually wait all the way until JANUARY 6TH!!!! (that's right ... JANUARY 6th!!), to even leave the shores of Italys post offices and actually make it's way to the U.S. ...

So here I am, still waiting for the package to arrive!!!

I tell you this much, if I do buy off of ebay Italy .... I'll make damned sure, in the future, not to buy during the HOLIDAYS!!!!!! [Mad] [Mad]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2018 04:44 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to read that Osi.

I was warned by a friend never to buy anything from Italy whether via Amazon or Ebay or any other means as the postal system is said to be a complete nightmare and joke. Even to here in the UK.

I hope your package arrives very soon to the USA.
[Eek!]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 16, 2018 11:14 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now the seller says that acording to Italian post, it has been delivered. It's been a month and a half. I'm asking for my money back, a complete refund, I mean, you can't blow off a 350.00 dollar purchase.

--------------------

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2018 06:08 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those of us who've had Marco make 16mm bits for us haven't had a similar fate so far. Knock on wood!

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 20, 2018 06:23 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never known anyone have so much bad luck with film deliveries, Osi.

Recalling the fact that a recent package was mistakenly delivered to a store in your town , have you considered this possibility? Just a thought.

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2018 10:48 AM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, ask for the tracking code. Even if not insured or marked as tracked, every parcel sent with Italian post can be tracked to the destination. I discovered it when I sent a parcel to Japan last year.
Check also with the tracking site of the American Postal Service, it may be that the shipping may also tracked by them once arrived in the USA (with Japan postal service it worked)

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 20, 2018 11:49 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Micheal [Smile]

I never did get that splicer back, which was too bad, as it was great splicer, one of the best. Actually, with all the buying and selling that I do, it's rather rare when this happens, I'm betting maybe one in a hundred purchases or buys.

To answer the other question, yes, I checked every online tracking and otherwise, including harassing our local post office (which could give me no more info than what I could gather online).

Look, if it will help matters, here is the tracking number from the ebay auction ...

CP056662005IT

If ANYONE in Italy or otherwise, can come up with ANY info on the package and as to where it is, I would most certainly be thankful! [Smile]

On another strange note concerning this, I have been granted a complete refund, but it's temporarily on hold as ebay is attempting to verify as to whether the seller has paid the refund ...

??

I always thought that ebay automatically, through paypal or otherwise, would deduct the refund amount from the seller. at least, when I have had refund situations, it immediately comes out of my paypal and always thru my bank account, linked to paypal, of course.

Does this work differently with overseas purchases? Could an overseas buyer verify this? Could an overseas seller block paying back a refund and in those cases, what does ebay do to insure that the buyer gets they're money back?

In closing, the problem with something like this is, say a seller (whether the "overeseas" is the U.S. or elsewhere), can give you a tracking number, which may not even be a tracking number for what you have bought off of ebay, and perhaps have not shipped the item in the first place.

This seller, before now, was most certainly reliable (as i had bought from him OFF ebay and if a person was going to be a thief, they'd do it that way than thru ebay, as it would be much easier to get away with it), and it might just sadly be a lost package in the postal system, in which case, the seller would still be reliable and all the fault would be the postal system.

... but i still sting and remember the STAR WARS super 8 scope print I bought way back in, I think 2005. I didn't buy it off of ebay, and the seller gave me a tracking number, but thier own postal system told me that the tracking number wasn't valid, and in that case, I was out 300 pounds, no small amount.

[Frown]

--------------------

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2018 12:07 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you've had more than your share of bad luck recently Osi so things can only get better, surely.
I recently bought a set of rewinds from Luigi on this forum. They were sent on 3rd of Jan (tracked) and arrived this week within a fortnight, so maybe I was lucky, but Luigi himself admits that Italian post is not good, so potential buyers be warned.

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2018 12:56 PM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, it seems that from Jan. 5th it is in the International Exchange Office in Milan (it's not clear whether it's the customs) and I've seen that you may even track from the USPS website:

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?tLabels=CP056662005IT

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 22, 2018 11:31 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Fabrizio ...

but the problem is ... that's as far as I've ever been able to see the tracking, and not a single mention of it ever making to the U.S.. I'm honestly not expecting it to show up, hence the asking for a refund. [Smile]

--------------------

Alberto Carlo Vangelisti
Master Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2018 02:57 PM      Profile for Alberto Carlo Vangelisti   Email Alberto Carlo Vangelisti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Osi,
only now I read these posts that you published on the forum. First I would also like to say Bill Brandstein that I work with Marco and I deal with magnetic striping and re-record on super 8 and 16mm film (here you can see as I work : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEgyDMLwu1s&t=10s). I sold this film through eBay to Osi and I must say that regularly Poste Italiane do not have a service as bad as in this unfortunate period. In fact, even Marco, after knowing what was happening to me, sent almost nothing in the month of December. It is true that, following agreements with Amazon, Poste Italiane has favored Amazon deliveries over the same period and has included more than 25,000 shipments on a waiting list. Moreover, as I already wrote to Osi, I called the Poste Italiane customer service every day to solicit the unlocking and I made two complaints. The last complaint concerns the involvement of USPS ... in fact, the customer service operators of Poste Italiane are able, with their internal procedure, to see that the package is in the hands of USPS as early as January 5. If the tracking is consulted through the excellent website "17track" https://t.17track.net/it#nums=CP056662005IT ... you can see that on the top page there is a note (1) flanked to the symbol of an airplane where it is written "Your package has been delivered to the carrier" (USPS). From this date the problem is no longer Poste Italiane, but of USPS ... which at least should update the tracking. In addition to making the delivery as soon as possible. In fact, in my second complaint through Poste Italiane ... Poste Italiane themselves require this to USPS. Probably the parcel is stopped at customs for further checks.Unfortunately it may happen that some parcels are subject to greater control in US customs ... but this is not the fault of Poste Italiane. I want to say that all my other sales made in this period of December have arrived in these days ... those made to other European countries have arrived before, probably because there is no customs between European countries. I have 2703 all 100% positive feedback and I've been on eBay since 2004 .... Osi, you requested a full refund, as it right, and I've already paid everything through PayPal, but eBay wrote to me that I can appeal if in the next few days the parcel will be delivered , as I think. Ebay also wrote to me that, despite having closed the claim in your favor, it will continue to monitor the trend of the tracking again for a few days. So if you still do not provide the refund depends, I think, exclusively from eBay, because I have repaid 100% a few hours after the closure of the case through PayPal. Dear Osi, I think that you should receive the film in the coming days, but what I want to clarify is that I have done and continue to do everything possible for you. As I repeat, I use eBay, but my job is to professionally make magnetic striping on super 8 and 16mm film ... the confidence of enthusiasts and collectors is important to me ... I would have no reason to behave ambiguously with you or with anyone else on eBay, as you also deduced. If there are any news about the delivery in the next few days I will write to you in private ... otherwise, as it is right, you will be able to take advantage of the refund

[ January 23, 2018, 05:18 AM: Message edited by: Alberto Carlo Vangelisti ]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 23, 2018 11:54 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please note folks that everything that Alberto has said in the previous post is absolutely true and I think I have said nothing against Alberto personally. This really is a problem with the post in general.

By the way Alberto, I haven't seen a single penny of the refund as of yet (I'm writing this as of the 23rd), and I think that they (ebay) must be holding onto it for a few days as they said that they would get back to me on the 24th. They must be giving it a few days more to potentially arrive. I can wait for the refund a few more days ... [Smile]

Oh, Alberto, this is the first time I've been able to look at that link concerning that other tracking info, but I don't see it saying anywhere that it was actually received by U.S. post but I must admit, that I speak speak or read Italian, (beyond "ciao" and "grazie" [Smile] )

Someone ought to sue the Italian post over this "amazon" deal screw-up. I wonder how many other packages got lost in transit as well. [Frown]

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 24, 2018 08:21 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Poste Italiene is part of the public service (a government owned company) where the company receives public funds, the deal with Amazon is not acceptable. People in Italy must sue this company.

But it is a different case if PI is a 100% private company.

Can anybody tell me which one is it?

--------------------
Winbert

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2018 09:08 AM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a company quoted in the Milan Stock Exchange, so... [Frown]

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted January 24, 2018 10:57 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know Osi I bought some films from a chap in the USA and it was 18 months before I asked for a refund, which he kindly then did.

He had odd issues etc and did`nt get them off many times.

But anything post wise in December and just after you really need to give things a really good old chance.

Also now controls especially in to the USA are very tight and awkward and can be very longwinded sometimes now.

It can be a matter of luck of the draw etc too.

Anyway sure they will be nice when there.

Best Mark.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 24, 2018 11:57 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, ebay was supposed to get ahold of me today and haven't, so I'm going to call them later today. The funny thing is that if Alberto already did the refundm, (and I have no reason to doubt him as of this time ... as i have bought from before and he has been reliable in the past), you would have thought that I would have recieved my refund already.

As stated earlier, when i have a refund issue, the exact amount that is requested back is put on hold by ebay in my paypal, (for instance, if I have a zero balance of cash in paypal, the amount requested for refund is 100.00 dollars, i then have a "minus" of 100.00, in the red, in my paypal, until ebay zips it back to the buyer) ...

But I ask again to all overseas buyers or seller ... does ebay had different rules of conduct when it comes to refunds and overseas purchases, than they do for stateside (U.S.) purchases?

--------------------

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted January 24, 2018 03:03 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi I think its just allowing for all the various hold ups you can get in the system between actual countries, like in this instance.

The USA is probably one of the most strict for coming in, and they often have quite a backlog.

Around that time of year or just after its probably well clogged up.

I remember having a super 8 trailer take 5/6 months to show up and it was posted that very day I bought it.

Best Mark.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 25, 2018 10:50 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!!!!

Before calling ebay yesterday, I decided to look call the toll free number on my credit card to check my balance. I hadn't done that for two days. I honestly didn't remember if i had paid for Alberto's film by paypal or credit card.

I am happy to report that I now have a 350.00 dollar credit on my credit card ...

I didn't get any ebay message or anything on my hotmail stating that the credit had went thru. Nice of ebay to not do that, eh?

So, I am happy to say that i have my refund ...

But Alberto ...

I certainly hope that the film does eventually arrive, whether today or weeks from now, (the post office did say that sometimes, but rarely, U.S. customs CAN hold a package up for up to 30 days, and that would have started around the 7th or 8th of January) ...

As, though I have received my money back, you are out as well and, as promised, (and everybody who has been reading this are here as witnesses), if the package does arrive, I will gladly paypal you that full amount right back!

... or, if somehow Italian post was wrong and it's still somewhere in Italy, it will be returned to you, safe and sound.

--------------------

Alberto Carlo Vangelisti
Master Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2018 12:40 PM      Profile for Alberto Carlo Vangelisti   Email Alberto Carlo Vangelisti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, I think you'll receive your film next week. USA custom often can make controls for 20 -30 working days from the time (6 January) packet delivered to the same custom...and USPS not update the tracking before the packet id unlocked....simply ...all this can happen dear Osi. Now I am happy for you ... as I told you have had your refund...and I'm optimistic Osi ... I do not tear my hair ... you'll see that the film will come to you, as I repeat, it's likely that this happens in the next week. ;-)

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted January 25, 2018 02:39 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When it comes Osi I`d recommend sending Paypal Friend`s and Family/Gift for Alberto.

Best wishes Mark.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 26, 2018 11:36 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, whenever I send money overaseas, (not by ebay, but by paypal) I choose that. I see no reason why paypal should take a bigger "chunk" than they should really be entitled to. [Smile]

Something that has occured to me, is that, Alberto, how long do you have to wait until you can put an insurance claim on this package? I mean, in less than 10 days, it will be over two months since it was originally mailed off and you have a great track record of putting in complaints on this packages whereabouts that you're Italian post couldn't deny.

--------------------

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2018 09:40 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, we hope that the film will not be lost, at the end!!
I would be sorry for you and also for Alberto, a serious seller, with also great passion for our hobby.
Ah, Alberto said well, the Italian posts are not really bad in general sense (sincerely, I never have big problems with them), but in December 2017 there was a crisis of deliveries: many call at call center, some refunds, some parcel arrived after a lot (I received one after a month), but, for what i know, nothing parcel lost!
In January, the situation was reestablished, in fact my sale with Terry that was mentioned before arrived in two weeks, a good time for Italy--->UK! However, I preferred to warn Terry of possible "aftermath" after the "evil" December.

Alberto Carlo Vangelisti
Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2018 03:39 PM      Profile for Alberto Carlo Vangelisti   Email Alberto Carlo Vangelisti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Osi,

as you can see on : https://t.17track.net/it#nums=CP056662005IT
tracking has been updated ... as expected, US customs are finishing their job at ISC New York .... so you should receive the film within a few days. Please, take a look at the update of the tracking and also ... USPS that could arrive with the package at home ... ;-)

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2018 02:45 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure I heard on the news report a few days ago that a postman in Italy had been found to have several hundred items at home he failed to deliver. This is not unheard of in other countries where the demands made on the postman exceed what he can manage and to say he has completed his round he merely stores the excess. Maybe something like that has occurred in your case.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 02, 2018 08:55 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That happened in Belgium. I once found a pack of letters in my mailbox with a note from the Post saying that a lot of mail had been found at the postman's home after an investigation and that they were sorry for the trouble. It is not rare that mail disppear...

--------------------
Dominique

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC