8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Epson Video Projectors (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Epson Video Projectors
David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2018 03:39 AM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,
I am thinking about getting one of these ,but in my case,i use a 4ft x3 ft screen and sit about 8 ft away from this.I would also plan to view in darkness,thus copying the film projection conditions. However,i wonder if such a small picture in total darkness would be too bright,even on eco mode?

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 03, 2018 10:28 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, I see no concern here. The picture control menu on video projectors lets you adjust brightness (and contrast) down to very low levels. Just use it in eco mode and dial down the brightness and your lamp will probably last forever!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2018 12:22 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul, ive never had a digital projector before,so didn't know they had such a feature.
The Epsom Graham has is available at "Richer Sounds" for £750,but until the end of March,it has £100 cash back,so £650.
Seems like a bargain to me!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 03, 2018 12:36 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David I can assure you that you will be absolutely thrilled with a modern digital projector. It really does open up a whole new world of great film viewing in your home, with picture and sound as good or better than the professional digital cinema.
Just don't get too thrilled and dump all your films and projectors! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2018 03:24 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No plans to dump cine Paul,will run both side by side as many here do.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 03, 2018 03:30 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David

If you buy it, I would recommend printing of a A4 hard copy from the CD-ROM that comes with the projector. [Smile]

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2018 04:30 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, is that the insruction manual?

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 03, 2018 06:02 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.... all one hundred and eleven pages of it [Smile]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 10, 2018 03:08 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This projector was my first video projector bought second hand in 1998 and has lasted 20 years and still works fine, but picture wise its not a patch on the present range of video projectors on the market.

Last week I boxed it away, as its got no re-sale but looking at it, it did surprise that even with a lot of use, that it lasted well all those years.
 -
 -

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 26, 2018 03:18 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well folks this little Epson VP for its price has been a real winner. I have been picking up some 3D titles of late. The "Wizard of Oz" being one, which along with the 3D/2D version includes a bonus Lunch bag all presented in a nice box, all for only $14 at our local store. Another $9 dollar special, was the "Jurassic Park Collection" four disc 2D/3D of "Jurassic Park" and "Jurassic World".

What is pleasing to see, has been the reduction in the new price of Blu-ray titles in general. Other 3D titles such as Passengers, Everest, and the 1953 movie "It Came From Outer Space" I picked up are on the list to watch, when I can afford the active 3D glasses, hopefully soon. [Cool]

Anyway I took a couple of screen shots of Logan's Run last week and can see that in the future this little Epson is going to get a lot of use [Smile]
 -
 -
 -

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2018 04:02 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I took Graham's advice and brought one! I have had it several weeks now but it is still in it's box! [Eek!] I must get it out and run something through it!

Pat

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 26, 2018 04:47 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a little bit of a learning curve with mine. I expected it to work exactly like a film projecter so I put it on the table between two Elmos.

Picture started halfway up the screen and spilled off top, left and right.

Moved it forward and down: everything was OK after that.

It works out for the best: I send 8mm over the top of the VP, and I send 16mm over the top of the 8mm. (For 35mm I might need to cut a hole in the back wall!)

-as I've said many times: my wife is very patient!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 27, 2018 02:51 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Pat...Your Blu-ray copy of "Raise The Titanic" would be a good choice. [Cool]

Steve...cutting holes in the wall might not be such a good idea [Smile] [Smile]

I watched "South Pacific" on the Epson last night, the colors looked great. [Cool] home entertainment has come a long way from once watching nothing more than a small B/W TV.
 -

Reese Williams
Junior

- posted May 01, 2018 04:11 PM      Profile for Reese Williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it's cool

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 07, 2019 11:04 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great news folks Pat just sent me a photo today of his Epson projector out of the box [Big Grin] …..well we don't want to rush things do we? [Big Grin]

Hopefully he might plug it in [Big Grin]

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2019 03:21 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had it going, be interested if a long throw lens can be brought for it!

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted April 09, 2019 08:43 AM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

yes Graham my current video P/J is the same model as yours - beautiful machine with such clarity and as you know..amazing 3D as it uses the active glasses you get full HD 3D...I even think it beats that of the cinema.

I remember starting out with my first video projector a 3M model that I swapped my copy 16mm stunning copy of RoboCop for with Derek Sutton.

I then progressively moved through most of the Pannys.. and upwards with 3 Epsoms until the latest one..never regretted any of it..its enabled enjoyment of stunning picture size!

Best to all

Mark [Smile]

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 09, 2019 09:36 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you are right Mark. I have been to the local multiplex quite a few times recently (they show classic golden age Hollywood films every Sunday and Wednesday) and have thought each time that my Panasonic AE4000 at home looks so much better. The major problem is that the picture at the multiplex is dim and lacks contrast and looks very 'flat', whereas my picture at home is brilliant and vivid. Maybe they are running their projector lamps way beyond their useable life.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 10, 2019 09:55 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or forget to up the current when they change from 2D to 3D as the 3D equipment lowers the brightness levels considerably.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 10, 2019 02:26 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark

When you mention it beats the cinema for 3D that's been my experience also. In particular with the 3D conversion with "Jurassic Park", that one, was very disappointing at the cinema, however with a bit of reluctance I watched it on the Epson, the 3D of it really looked great.

I watched "Prometheus" on 3D last week and enjoyed that one. The 3D conversion of "The Wizard Of Oz" was outstanding and I still can't figure out how they managed to do it so good.

I am slowly taking my time using the Epson for other 3D titles. Others I have watched, and have been really good to sit through, have been Terminator 2, Titanic, Jumanji "welcome to the jungle", Hugo, Life of PI, The Martian, TS Spivot, Gravity, Jurassic World, Passengers.

The Epson 3D glasses seem to last for quite a while before the need to re-charge. The 3D is great, but like to spread it out viewing wise.

Its interesting to note that the new "Jumbo" movie doing the rounds at the cinema here, is only in 2D and yet the future Blu-ray release will include a 3D version as well.

The Epson VP with the Epson glasses have worked out really well.

We have certainly come a long way from the days of that little B/W TV sitting in the corner. [Smile]

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted April 11, 2019 02:20 AM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham and all

I agree with your comments - such exciting viewing opportunities today in so many formats. I was amazed at the 2D to 3D conversions also..what about "Titanic" conversion...quite amazing and made for a big size screen with the 3D elements adding wonderfully.

My personal 3D collection is built around all the Marvel and DC superhero world...good conversions and Marvel in particular use the effects with subtlety - check out "Avengers Infinity Wars" - superb. [Smile]

I think I need to buy the original Dial M for Murder and some of the other "classics" that we can get now in their original format of 3D.

Best to all

Mark [Big Grin] [Smile]

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 11, 2019 04:35 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This might sound crazy Mark but I have just finished watching "Jurassic Park" in 3D again [Roll Eyes]

That 3D Blu-ray came from the four disc "Jurassic Park Collection" which also included the Jurassic World 3D .The other two discs are the 2D versions of those titles. I must have bought it locally, as it still has the new price tag of only $9 on the box....it is certainly excellent value.

Titanic on 3D was amazing to watch [Cool] I find that with the usual movies, not in 3D that is, I might watch every few years, but with the 3D stuff I seem to watch more often.

Funny thing about tonight when I came back in the house, I said to Yvonne that I watched "Jurassic Park", she replied I know I could hear it....yikes I never new I had the sub etc that loud [Eek!] [Smile]

Just as well we have good neighbours [Smile]

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 14, 2019 11:56 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not a great fan of 3D as unfortunately it seems to affect me and gives me a headache behind the eyes after a while. Probably because I am long sighted and have had to wear specs most of my life. Regarding long throw lenses for video projectors, you can add a video camera Tele photo attachment on the front provided it is of large enough diameter to prevent vignetting. I used one on 2 previous projectors. The one I used on my previous Epson EMP51 was sold by Jessops 1,5X with a rear lens element of about 40mm diameter. My current Epson does not need it as I has quite a large zoom range, Keith Wilton passed this tip on to me some years ago!! Ken Finch. [Cool]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 14, 2019 08:17 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ken

That's the downfall of 3D, not everyone can watch it due to there own individual eyesight. [Frown]

When we ran Toy Story 3 on 2D, 35mm one school holidays I thought we were going to see a reduction in admissions due to 3D being shown at a cinema only 10 minutes away.

To my surprise it turned out to be just the opposite, we were flat out, with sold out sessions, screening the normal 35mm print. Although the price tag was only a couple of dollars less than the 3D down the road, I think there was more to it than just the price, 3D is not for everyone, and those school holidays certainly proved that.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC