8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » A near Meltdown

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A near Meltdown
Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2018 12:28 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gentlemen:

As of today I have closed my Ebay account. I am sick and tired of the hi priced junk. I also suspect some sellers use other accounts to drive up the cost of items I am trying to purchase.

So enough with the bull ****. I’ll leave that for you to enjoy.

CG

[ July 04, 2018, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: Douglas Meltzer ]

|  IP: Logged

Joe Vannicola
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2018 01:04 PM      Profile for Joe Vannicola   Email Joe Vannicola   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually knew someone who sold on Ebay and would enlist his friend to do shill bidding on the items to help drive the price up. He asked me to shill bid on one of the items he was selling and I refused. I told him straight up that what he was doing was dishonest and deceitful. He just laughed and called me a "boy scout".

--------------------
Joe

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2018 03:15 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just put mt max in and go away.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2018 06:00 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it was my decision to purchase 6 projectors GS 1200 machines. But it has taken a long time for me to get this sorted. Each machine has needed repairs. At least 3 machines have been to the shop three times. I figure each projector will cost $1800.00 by the time it is purchased from Ebay, repaired to the point that it can run smoothly. Yes, this is what I chose to do, so be it.

But I buy other things on Ebay, and have had some great finds. But the majority have been let downs, and I am tired of it. Perhaps one day I might have a go at it again. But right now, probably not. I’m going to be moving in a few years, and will have a much smaller home of my own. While I hope to keep what I have, it’s time to stop bringing more stuff in.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 20, 2018 04:42 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I first joined eBay many years ago things were very different. I always used "Buy It Now" as my first attempts at bidding were disastrous. My first purchases never gave any problems, films in good condition and in their original boxes (I have hundreds), Super 8 projectors in their boxes with all original contents (mic, etc.), and with the top and bottom polystyrene packing complete.

But now, how things have changed. From genuine film type sellers to bunches of rogues who mainly have no knowledge of what they're selling and no idea of real values. Descriptions are vague, often "sold as seen" and "no returns" which seem to contravene long distance selling laws.

Fortunately my collection of films and projectors is complete so my purchases from eBay are now very limited.

--------------------
Maurice

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 20, 2018 11:50 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel you're pain Chip, as I know for a fact that I have run into "shill bidding' as well in the past, (it becomes pretty obvious when you make a bid that has a rediculous amount like, let's say, 28.74 cents, you know, an off-bid amount and yet, it wins to the exact penny!) ...

but i wouldn't rule out using ebay in the future as, just when you stop using it, Murphy's Law ciomes into play and that one film that you have been waiting for for you're whole life will turn up on ebay.

But, we all feel you're pain, Chip, best wishes! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted February 22, 2018 07:43 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ebay is what it is. In regards to the GS1200's-those machines are nearing 40 years old. Every single one of those machines eventually will need work. Even the ones that are close to being brand new. Especially if they have been sitting!
If you have been on Ebay long enough than hopefully if an item comes along and you want it, bid what you are willing to bid and don't bid above.
The same item will eventually come around again most likely at a price point you are comfortable with. Just recently a copy of "Aliens' on Super 8 was sold for $425. Far cry from the one that sold for $1800!
Ebay really has helped the Super 8 collecting world, most hobbies actually in my opinion.
Aside from the dealers that we know and trust, there is no other place for us to be able to find that rare cartoon, digest, etc. that we are looking for.
Just like the ads say, "The world's largest online marketplace".
Now if we could only have 100% honest sellers on there...! [Smile]

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2018 08:22 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Alan that would be nice - but also an eBay that stops changing the rules and charges all the time, usually in favour of buyers. I would love to close my account, but what's the alternative!

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted February 22, 2018 09:06 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is more tough for sellers than before but if I had to choose I would side in favor of going towards the buyers as well.
If you are selling, theoretically you are the one who is benefitting because you are the one receiving the money. So Ebay statistically has more scam artists SELLING than they do buying. If you check out the Leica camera section there are so many hijacked ebay accounts selling very cheap Leica gear. Once you click on a link you have been watching-one day its removed. Not ended by the seller but removed due to fraudulent activity.
I remember the days when I would buy something, pay and then get told by Ebay, we'll try and recover the money but if we can't..too bad. I don't miss those days.
Occasionally you will get buyers who try to cheat the system but I haven't had many of those. Maybe 2 or 3 and sadly..one of them is/was a member here.
So far no alternative that I can see. I don't use Ebay much as I prefer to pay a stated price as opposed to bidding and starting a bidding war but hey.. a few days ago Lady and the Tramp Super 8 Scope sold for $280? That ending price reminded me of old Ebay where you could get a bargain!

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2018 03:17 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan
What you say about buyers protection may be true, but there is a long standing auction mantra of 'Buyer beware' and if buyers use PayPal as I always do, then you have the added protection as a buyer.
Without sellers there would be no EBay, so it's my view that they should look after their vested interest. Many people I have spoken to have a similar dislike of the huge changes made by EBay over the years.
As a seller I have 100% positive feedback and a score of over 800. Sometimes my patience is tested with some buyers but if there is a problem I always offer a full refund and sometimes even allow the buyer to keep the item rather than making them return it.
I will never forget one instance when a buyer bought a beautiful 16mm projector in mint condition, and fully tested, only for him to contact me a week later to say that there was a fault and wanted to return it. I told him that he could send it to the repair engineer of his choice and I would pay the bill. This I did, but not a word of thanks.
There is another old adage, that being in the US you've probably not heard, ' There's nowt so queer as folk'.
In the end there are good and bad of both sellers and buyers. Personally I could not live with myself if I thought a buyer was not satisfied with a purchase, but that obviously does not apply to all.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2018 03:37 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I don't like about Ebay, if you are selling, is that they take your postage into account when charging you a percentage of your selling price.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 22, 2018 03:41 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have to say the ebay charges are becoming a bit excessive but i guess the thing to do is to wait until they do those listing offers. Like most American corporate companies they are becoming too big for there own good, trouble is it needs a masses get together online to boycott using it for a week, that would shake them up but unfortunately its never likely to happen.
I think if people list things correctly and not hide anything it's fine, unfortunately, there will always be rouge sellers and bidders alike.

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 28, 2018 12:12 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well here I am

My first week without Ebay

and I feel perfectly sane................ [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

David Baker
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 28, 2018 01:05 PM      Profile for David Baker   Email David Baker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hang in there Chip , there are other alternatives .
Like ebid and Ioffer and even mail order from THE REEL IMAGE .
I'm going to start selling on ebid and do mail order sales like Steve Osbourne does . And use the internet to send out film sales lists to people's email address . And take checks and Money Orders , besides Paypal ( add 4% to total though , for their fees ) for payment .
Remember the old days of THE BIG REEL ??
We should bring it back , Too many people have a finger in the " pie " ( eBay & Paypal ) to take from all the hard work I do .
Good luck Chip ; I'm sure you'll find another outlet so you can still stay in the hobby . [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dave

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC