8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Scrapping Faded Prints (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Scrapping Faded Prints
David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2018 01:23 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im with you on this one Graham. Ive chucked very faded prints,they are best out of circulation.

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 13, 2018 01:33 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks David...

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2018 02:13 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An absolute disgrace this post.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2018 02:24 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, you are right.

I've enjoyed red prints in the past, but just try to even give them away...suddenly all those "collectors" just don't wanna know.

Bin them.

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2018 02:32 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Rob

I tried to give one away here earlier to Robert but it was not his type of film - perhaps we should just keep anything and everything that is worn out forever, why stop at films, projectors and other consumer items, when all our passed away relatives pets and loved ones could still be sitting here with us in the living world embalmed for posterity. The ultimate hoarders dream world.

Not for me thank you.

Kevin

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2018 03:06 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin
In the words of Del Boy 'Now you are taking me illiterally'. The word sacriledge is applied in many more instances of comparison than that, as you well know.
The point That I and others make, is that these are not worn out films - they are still runnable and - to some - still watchable.
I find it incredible that members of a forum dedicated to film should have this attitude. If the films were suffering badly from VS or other maladies that made them unplayable or presented a danger of infection to ones collection, then yes. But the colour has just turned. Not a reason to destroy them surely?

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2018 03:26 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Terry

I've got a lovely original 16mm print of It's A Wonderful Life (Capra not Cliff) which literally stinks the house out when brought in it has more vinegar in it than the local chip shop larder.

However - about ten years on since I noticed the start of VS - it still runs flat, winds flat, stays in focus and, ultimately on screen, I feel looks better than the DVD so I run it on the one Elf STM keep for these prints and store it well away from other acetate films. A couple of my Disney IB Tech cartoons pong the same but still look perfect on screen so I keep them.

When they lose focus or become distorted lumps of cellulose mush then I will of course throw them away.

But the important thing here is they look how they should - clear crisp black and white or full IB Tech colour.

A previously full colour but now totally faded to pink / red / purple print does not look how it should and never will again - why waste a couple of hours watching it - seeing fade that bad makes me wonder why we bother with real film at all - hence the clear outs.

I'm not any less of a film or cine enthusiast for doing this just a realistic one.

Kevin

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2018 03:28 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham you made your decision and it was the right one. As for jokes about sacrilege save it for the Hammer movies or should that be Carry on Screaming

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2018 04:05 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Kevin,
I didn't really want to continue with this conversation, but I only turned down your film because horror films do not interest me; if you have any Alan Ladd, Errol Flynn, Randolph Scott, gone red, and free, I'll send you my address. it was the subject matter not the state of the film.

Not all these films have the masters safely stored in archives; you must know that the 35mm negs to many of Frank Randle's films were destroyed by the lab when they closed down instead of being returned to the owner. So many of these now only exist in 16mm; fortunately, they are all B&W.

Mark Davies
Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2018 05:34 PM      Profile for Mark Davies   Email Mark Davies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evening Folks,

This is one of those topics, I see both sides, but I am un-qualified to comment really. One mans trash is another mans gold, but then Graham is correct in that it stops other people getting ripped off.

Anyway, that's not the reason I am posting. If anyone in the UK, is throwing some old film away, I would happily pay postage for any old junk. Not looking at selling, I'm looking at a few things. I want to create a display for my office, and also I want to test out some cutting techniques, and it appears my 6 year old is quite interested also. If that makes sense. Film seems rather valuable to practice on these days.

Kind Regards Mark.

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2018 05:55 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Robert

I realised it was not your type of film from your reply - my Errol Flynn 16mm features are all black and white which I want to keep, along with his Super 8 Red Fox features on LPP colour. The one Alan Ladd feature I have is Shane again Red Fox LPP and a favourite of mine. Sadly no Randolph Scott at all here to my best recollection.

At least as some consolation I can confirm I have never had any totally faded prints of these greats so you have not missed any from my previous clearouts.

Whilst many 35mm film masters have been lost to fires and for other reasons I always check to see if any film I own can be classed as lost, be it a TV or Cinema film, before selling or disposing of, and of course even if faded, worn or incomplete, I would then do my best to get it to an archive for preservation or re-release. I have successfully done this on previous occasions and with the help of Chris Perry from Kaleidescope have returned films that were missing or lost, along with a large number of Nitrate 35mm films I owned that were in most cases over 100 years old. I do care deeply about film preservation and conservation in such warranted cases as these.

Kevin.

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2018 06:11 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham
It's your decision to throw them away and I can see why you would want to do that,yes you could sell or give them away but can be more hassle than it's worth. I have quite a few super 8 films I was going to go through and chuck away as I don't want them and will never watch any of them. I've done the same with projectors too as just dust collectors now. I'm sure that your well aware that Star Wars would have a value but fair play to you for not selling it on for a fast buck. As for VS films,why anyone would want to keep them I've never understood that,without any hesitation they would definitely be going to the tip,Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2018 06:16 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They have VS Mark not a dusting of anything nasty sent from out East - I've chucked bad VS prints before but other than the stink the ones I've kept project perfectly so why worry?

Kevin

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2018 06:23 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kevin; you have a PM; a collector like myself is interested in the film you offered me. They are a collector and not a seller.

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2018 06:33 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my decision re films I don't care what title it is if it stinks of vinegar it goes straight in the bin.ne exceptions .re faded or red prints I put them on a bobbin if its a decent title I try to sell,if not a good title then that goes in the bin or free if someone one pays postage or picks it up .I have just binned 2 prints dr doolitle red and stunk of vinegar and yellow rolls Royce with was red and stunk how can you watch a film called yellow rolls Royce and car is red both film stars rex harrision they are both in the bin come and get them quick as bin men come tomorrow

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2018 06:33 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Robert - PM replied to will have this sorted out for your friend soon.

My lovely missus just chipped in - she said there is often something in the film room here that is pink and stinks a bit on occasions but won't quite fit in the wheelie bin - me!

Kevin

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2018 06:52 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Should I chip in that I have personally destroyed I think 5 copies of the same film purely on grounds of good taste without any consideration of pinkness.

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2018 07:00 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a prize for guessing the title Mike?

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2018 07:11 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin

You have been round long enough to know which one I mean. Never turns up on dealer lists now.!!! Part of the Goodtastetoo we will name and shame campaign.

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2018 07:20 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know what it is of course - any left in collections will leap in price following your cull of this title.

I have 16mm and 35mm prints of Divine Madness and a 16mm print of Stella does that make me a fan?

Kevin

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2018 07:31 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't personally dislike Bette I just think it was the most pointless digest ever.
It actually makes The Formula look exciting. I didn't even start the gag it was already a long running joke at our mini conventions. You would find it substituted in your films or sneaked into the boot of your car when you were leaving It was an endless game of tag. Then we started being gifted them by certain dealers One was barbecued which was messy one was buried at sea on the ferry back from Blackpool. Guess I have substantially increased the rarity value💩😷

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2018 07:39 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes you are part of the problem discussed in the other high prices thread!!! [Smile]

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2018 08:01 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm OK with faded prints that don't have the dreaded VS but only if I like the movie,sadly a lot of my 16mm films are faded to red but I am glad to own them as I think they are not easily obtainable for e.g. Land Of The Giants,Bewitched and the last 1/3rd of an episode of The Planet Of The Apes TV series.
If you are in N.Z. like I am then feel free to let me have a chance to own them,of course I will pay the postage [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2018 09:50 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, I have done this with vinegar films but not any red films. Well I personally wouldn't trash red films, disposing of them can be work. It would be discouraging to sell them at a low price on here or on eBay only to see them possibly resold at a lower price.

I would encourage anyone if you had any Super 8 digests with box art that you sell those to someone instead of trashing the film and box. There are many people who would treasure them.

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2018 10:10 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a great idea about the boxes Jason Smith ... I know I have and I know many others just have their favourite film on the reel and the original boxes are long gone.

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

All times are Central
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC