8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Bad sellers (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Bad sellers
Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2018 06:34 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is an example of what I would describe as at best sellers that do our community no good whatsoever and at worst confidence tricksters. This particular one was a regular poster on this forum. When I tried to ask a question I got the reply from eBay that the seller was unable to answer. He is not alone. There is another- cinema_paradiso that operates the same way. Disgraceful. And I would recommend that they be avoided at all cost. To me, they have something to hide and I would love to hear their defence of this tactic. Why would any reputable seller not encourage questions?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELF-9-5mm-Sound-Film-Projector-Optical-Magnetic-sound-POST-FREE/273123106145?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

|  IP: Logged

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 24, 2018 02:49 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ive never used this seller but i have seen his or her listings before and some of them show that he either has no idea at all or, as you say Terry, is a con man.

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2018 03:00 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tempting as it seems,buyer beware,Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2018 05:45 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom
The shame of it is that he is a very experienced Cine enthusiast, which makes it all the more disappointing that he resorts to this. You will note that there is no mention of exactly what is wrong with the projector other than a missing lens. These 9.5 conversions are very sought after, and being that this seller is a long standing enthusiast on 9.5 film and equipment, it confounds me that he hasn't had the projector restored and then get at least double the asking price. That in itself is a worry as to why it is a non runner.
So yes Mark - buyer beware.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2018 06:08 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see, even though this is marked as for spares only and thus no returns, our policy should be No Returns - No Sale!!

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 24, 2018 06:17 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't realise he was an enthusiast. That makes it worse.
As you say, he does know, so this is an odd way to sell. Unfortunatly, i guess he is just trying to cash in. Sad!

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2018 06:50 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He definitely would know the faults with it,as stated a film enthusiast for years,Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 24, 2018 08:53 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And yet, this seller has 100% positive feedback on 968 transactions. Has anyone here had any other eBay dealings with this person?

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 24, 2018 09:29 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was looking at his feedback myself Doug. Thats a lot of sales at 100%. This is a very odd ball listing though.it may be rare but not much cop if it doesnt work.

Gary Sayers
Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2018 09:43 AM      Profile for Gary Sayers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I missing something here? A seller with 100% positive feedback lists a projector and clearly states that isn't working (for repair or spares). What's so bad about that?

Same goes for the other seller mentioned in the original post - 100% positive feedback. Is there some other reason for the bad feeling towards these sellers that we don't know about?

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2018 11:23 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary
I think the issue here is a question was asked through eBay and an answer couldn't be given yet this seller is knowledgeable in such things,Yes it's spares or repairs but worth more repaired but what you would need to know before bidding (as no returns) is what is needed for it to work,it could be a bare shell,Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 24, 2018 11:53 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It shows how little I know, I didn't even know that 9.5 was capable of both optical and magnetic sound. I thought these were during the days of just optical sound.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 24, 2018 12:26 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whats wrong with it?
400 quid for somthing that doesnt work!
No lens? It must have had one.
Thats only me though. Good luck to the seller. Ive seeen some cracking projectors selling for a lot less.

Gary Sayers
Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2018 12:57 PM      Profile for Gary Sayers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't ask what was wrong with it. It's very clear from the listing that it's £399 for a projector that doesn't work.

I asked what was so bad about the listing that prompts a posting about 'at best sellers that do our community no good whatsoever and at worst confidence tricksters'?

Mark - Of course it could be just a bare shell or whatever but based on the 100% positive feedback, why would the seller want to ruin that? Plus, saying no returns is not unusual for something stated as for spares/repairs, particularly for auction.

If they don't answer questions, there could be a perfectly reasonable explanation. I don't know how ebay messaging works in full but I have had experience of it not working properly a few times over the years. The seller may be totally oblivious of any message for all we know.

Also, ebay allows buyers to file a 'not as described' claim if not happy, regardless of any no returns rider by the seller.

I'm not taking any sides, it just seems to like this seller (and the other one mentioned) has already been judged as a con-merchant when their feedback would suggest otherwise.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 24, 2018 01:12 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im certainly not judging the guy as a bad seller. I know you didn't ask what was wrong with it, but i am telling you what i think is wrong with it all the same,
My point is, how can anyone who is in the cine collecting fraternity who obviously knows the hobby ask 400 quid for something that is basically scrap value. I agree the listing is very clear etc. It would be like me listing a film thats too badly damaged to project for the price of a new one. Ive not said anything about the other seller. In fact ive bought from the other seller twice with no problem. [Wink]

[ March 24, 2018, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: Tom Photiou ]

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2018 04:12 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
why don't you have a ride over and view it he only lives about 25 miles from me

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 24, 2018 04:17 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I reckon if the guy started a bid at 99 it would go up to what it is worth and probably beyond, to start off at 400 all but a quid for something thats advertised as spares or repair seems a bit nuts to me. [Wink]

Unless of course i am completely wrong, if i am please correct me, what is a scrap projector worth?

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2018 04:26 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,
How much is a scrap projector worth? However much fuel it takes to take it to the tip!!! Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 24, 2018 04:27 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom

About the same as a faded print of Star Wars [Big Grin] ....sorry couldn't help myself [Big Grin]

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2018 04:37 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both should go to the tip!!! Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2018 04:48 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any reason why so many who know him are not saying the seller's actual name on here?

Perhaps the main gripe is knowing he is a repairer of such 9.5mm machines himself reading between the lines this one must be beyond economical repair or he simply wants to cut his losses and not fork out for a pro repairer to get it going for him.

Either way he seems eager to make 'his' problem machine 'your' problem machine so probably best avoided.

Our favourite repairer did mention to me once that these 9.5 conversions were not all done to the same high standard and it can be a case of good luck or otherwise if you get a good one or not - accurate re-cutting and smoothing of the frame, and the perfect realignment of sprockets and guides was not achieved on all of them - could this be one of those that didn't make the grade?

Only 'Mr 'X' will be able to shed light on it........

Kevin

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2018 06:06 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always though his name was my m

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 25, 2018 12:43 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If this thing is posted in our "Ebay Oddities" sticky post, I can understand the purpose of writing it.

But since the subject of this post is "Bad Sellers", I was expecting to read a report about bad deals with a particular seller(s).

But apparently it is not...more like (again) complaining someone selling at certain price for a stuff that we, as the cine enthusiats, think is a rubbish.

But since the seller has clearly stated the item's condition, isn't that his/her right to put whatever the price he/she wants?

The "Ebay Oddities" thread is provided for us to give a big laugh for such listing...but labelling someone in an individual post like this as "bad sellers" for his/her wanted price is somekind a strange thing for me.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 25, 2018 02:17 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, if I understand well, the thread is about "bad sellers" in general and this case is an example. What Terry seems to regret is not the description or the price but the fact that the seller doesn't want to answer questions. I would think that it is not post in the "EBay Oddities" since the seller is said to be a member of this forum and it would be interesting to hear why a seller doesn't want to answer questions about his sale. If I'm wrong, thanks for correcting me.

--------------------
Dominique

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2018 03:00 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique,
I think your reply again explains what Terry was referring to ref the seller,Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC