8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Retired

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Retired
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 27, 2018 01:46 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well folks its been now a year on the old folks pension and slowly getting the hang of receiving money but not having to work for it [Cool]

I guess many here are either retired or getting reel close to being put out to pasture so.

I was wondering how others get on this forum being retired? do you enjoy it? get out and about? that type of thing [Wink] .

Funny thing, I call into a mall a couple of times a week for a coffee, when the other day I was standing at the end of the queue. The young girl behind the counter, before I had a chance to order, pointed to the counter and me, and hinted she had already made mine, so I had to say excuse me to those folk in front to get to it [Big Grin]

Its funny the looks you get from other customers, as if to say how come you get yours before us [Big Grin] This has happened a number of times and always brings a [Smile] to my face.

I think I am getting used to this retirement thing, how do you get on?

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 27, 2018 01:51 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been retired for 22 years, Graham, you'll get used to it. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Maurice

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2018 01:57 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love it! I do think you should have a hobby or some other activity to keep you somewhat occupied. You don't want to sit around all day doing nothing.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2018 02:16 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like many people I know I wonder how I ever had time to go to work!!!

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 27, 2018 02:44 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After being retired for almost 9 years I facetiously refer to W-O-R-K as a 4-letter word and highly over-rated [Smile] I just love doing my own thing at my own pace...admittedly at a much slower pace now [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 27, 2018 11:10 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the great things about retirement for me, is being able to devote more time to the film and home cinema hobby, and being able to stay up late to read this forum! [Big Grin]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2018 05:47 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love retirement. Running films each week (16/35mm) in the White Bus Cinema with my pal John is a joy. In the winter I run a monthly show at our local Salvation Army and have a regular audience of 30+. I do shows round the Churches/hospital/o.a.p. clubs and goodness knows where else. It's great when cars slow down to let you cross the busy main road, and free bus passes are a passport to adventure. I read a lot and watch the telly, especially 3D films. My son rings daily and recounts his customer run ins while measuring carpets. I just love retirement.

--------------------
Dave

David Baker
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2018 06:29 AM      Profile for David Baker   Email David Baker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best thing I like about retirement is now I'm doing things I WANT to do , rather than HAVE to do .
Like the rest of you in this thread , I put my time in and now it's " ME " time .
And it doesn't bother me that when I awake in the morning , I don't know what day of the week it is either ! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dave

William Davis
Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2018 10:16 AM      Profile for William Davis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many days I have to stop and think what day is it too!!! I am busy ALL the time doing something. Besides spending time enjoying our hobby - I do a few "film shows" in the winter at my Church, also a monthly show (winter only) at a local retirement home, and usually a show for a senior travel group. Also on Sunday's we usually have some activities of some sort at Church. Usually involves food!! Also have a fair amount of yard work outside around my house - which never ends. Just back from CINEVENT in Columbus, Ohio where I spent a couple days visiting with other collectors. You want to keep busy doing SOMETHING, it's no good sitting around doing nothing.

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2018 05:21 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not quite there yet but I am old enough. It's just I still have my film to finish and will need more money to finish it. If I got more from Social Security and retirement I could now and spend full time on my film.

I would love to go back to school and learn electronics.

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2018 08:44 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a great scheme our OAP is Graham! [Wink] I've been on it for 23 years.We live in a retirement village(Settlers,Albany,Auck)-Google it;-).We have movies and live theatre(some really talented folk here).It is a bit like being on a cruise ship-only docked at the same port!!!Life could be a LOT worse.Trev

--------------------
Trevor

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2018 03:10 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Twelve years for me and I don't know about ' Life could be a lot worse'. For me and I'm sure most of us, life couldn't be much better, providing health holds up.
. [Cool]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 29, 2018 03:16 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great to read everyone thoughts on retirement. [Smile]

When you are young, you don't think about it, but boy does time pass, and before you know it you are "there" [Smile]

Great to hear from you Trevor [Smile]

I still remember the comment made at the cinema when my birthday was coming up. I said to young Chris the 15 years old I gave the job of part time projectionist to.....what should I get for my birthday? [Roll Eyes] ...his reply was "Cigna Funeral Plan" my reply to that was, the only funeral round here pal was going to be yours, as he took of at great speed to the safety, so he thought of the projection room [Big Grin]

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2018 04:36 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My retirement is bitter sweet as my wife is no longer around to share our large family, and I haven't met anyone mad enough to take me on, but I agree with the common consensus that we are now free to do mainly whatever we like.
I've been known to haul the 16mm to a nursing home with mixed results (John Wayne apparently wasn't that popular with the old folk!), and spend too much time battling the garden. Why does everything have to grow so quickly?
I miss the comradeship with my work colleagues but still meet them for lunches etc.
Anyway, it is good to have the choice of doing precisely nothing if the mood takes me!

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2018 05:52 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say reading through all of these posts I'm jealous because I'm getting ready to head off for work and I feel like Allan does.....like doing precisely nothing!!! [Smile]

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2018 06:23 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As people are giving more details.
I started by taking my widowed mother out more and helping the Campaign for Real Ale set up and run beer festivals in London (starting with one I now help at about 8 a year!!!). When my mother became terminally ill I became her carer. After her death I kept up with the beer festival, became bar manager at my local amateur theatre members' club (also the magazine editor/printer/distributor, the archivist, Little Theatre Guild rep, lighting designer etc - dogsbody???) Kept up traveling round the UK. Also visiting more Film Fairs, open days etc.

That's why I wouldn't have time to go to work.

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2018 07:13 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Retired in 2010 loving it
Out early at age 49 due to disability
Thought about staying with work
Through counseling learned what was best
Eight years later the counselor was spot on.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 29, 2018 10:50 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have eleven years to go!

An old friend of the family managed a bus repair facility for the NYC transit system and one fine day found himself retired at home: no schedule, no responsibilities, no deadlines.

He looked around his new "working environment" and decided the first thing to do was reorganize his wife.

Mrs. B thought she'd been doing just fine for forty-something years and rejected the hostile takeover. She told him to find some outside involvement or be prepared to live in the garage!

See, I'm afraid I might be a little too much like this. I've been long-term unemployed a couple of times and I'm afraid retirement without a schedule might feel too similar.

So, I look forward to not having to fight the drifts 32 miles each way every February, but I definitely want a plan!

So congratulations, Graham! I'm sure you'll find something to do!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 29, 2018 11:06 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still a "young-un" on here, (well, 52), so to speak, so I have a while to go ...

I agree, work is highly overrated, but necesary. [Frown]

... but it does keep me in celluloid! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 29, 2018 07:11 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great to hear that Trevor is enjoying his life in the retirement community. [Smile] I wonder what he did with all his vintage toy projectors.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2018 10:50 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering that as well Paul, also his nice Bauer projector!

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 30, 2018 03:48 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting stories everyone....

This is the retirement home "Trevor" was talking about, very nice, however I was reading about a lady who lives on a cruise ship all year round....now that's what I could do [Smile] ...if I had the money that is and Yvonne liked ships [Smile] .....the grandkids could come with us [Cool]

https://youtu.be/XUG21wIYhQA

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 30, 2018 02:22 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just thought I would add a thanks to everyone here for posting. Retirement does mean changes and sometimes its not that easy.

The main thing I think, is keeping physically and mentally active in what ever you do, and reading some of the posts here that's exactly what many do [Smile]

For me I will never go to a retirement home, I don't think they would let me take the Ernemann2 and Bauer U4 projectors...plus the platter with me [Big Grin]

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2018 07:07 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still have a number Paul......
https://imgur.com/1g9kccM
https://imgur.com/We9RYJz
The Bauer T610 is still here!

--------------------
Trevor

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 05, 2018 11:07 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was fortunate to be able to retire from full time teaching at age56. Voluntary redundancy with enhanced retirement pension. I continued part time supply teaching for about 2 years and then became fully retired. It was the best thing I ever did because the average survival rate for teachers of technical studies at that time retiring at 65 was about 8 years! I think the secret of longevity is to remain active both physically and mentally as far as possible, know your limitations and maintain a healthy lifestyle. This seems to have worked for me so far but I may be fortunate genetically as I have relatives on both parents side of the family who lived to 102!! My ambition is to beat that. Only time will tell. Ken Finch [Wink]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC