8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » SOLO Dark

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SOLO Dark
William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2018 08:46 PM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone seen SOLO and thought the cinematography was on the dark side? Pun intended.

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 04, 2018 10:13 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think it was unusually dark. I saw it on an iMax screen and it looked great!

Did you see this thread?
http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=004851

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted June 05, 2018 08:21 AM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see it in IMAX. No doubt it looks best in that format. I know that many many theaters and patrons are complaining about how dark it is. I found it difficult to make out what was on the screen most of the time. The producers and, specifically, the cinematographer are blaming less than ideal digital projection in the theaters. Although there may be some truth to that, the cinematographer admits to experimenting with low light cinematography for this film. As a product manufactured to make money, the creators of this film should have taken the current state of theatrical digital projection into account. I know this smacks of compromising artistry for the lower common denominator but this is show business.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 05, 2018 11:13 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That MUST have been a great pleasure to see it in IMAX, espcially with those shots of the Mellenium Falcon, (my vote for the most AWESOME and Iconic sci-fi spaceship EVER!!), looping and swooping about on the screen! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

David Baker
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 05, 2018 11:17 AM      Profile for David Baker   Email David Baker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes , In IMAX 3-D at that !

--------------------
Dave

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 05, 2018 06:55 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I first saw the trailers I was thinking maybe it will look better in the theater. Not so. I was straining to see in the darker scenes.

Where have the DP and producers been for the last several years. There have always been problems in projection before LOW lite digital projection. Ideal projection is carbon arc but I've seen problems with that too. I blame the DP, original directors with agreeing to shoot it that way, Ron Howard for continuing that look, and the producers for going along with that look.

Janice saw it at an Imax theater and I bet it was laser projection or dual projectors.

I thought the movie was entertaining and it is a shame it was shoot this way.

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2018 11:58 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats very strange indeed. I just saw it at one of the Digima's in Aberdeen Scotland on 4K and the image looked excellent.

I enjoyed the movie too and that is something of praise coming from me as i am not really a Star Wars franchise fan. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2018 12:46 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another case of calibration being so important, more so now with digital projection.

Directors of Photography relay upon the cinema presentation being up to specification.

Sadly, this is usually not the case and reason to complain to the theatre management.

Tell the theater owners that it isn't right.

https://www.slashfilm.com/solo-projection-problems/

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2018 03:54 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I have read of cinemas leaving the polarising filters on for non 3D films causing a great light loss.

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2018 04:36 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ron Howard has confirmed that the movie was NOT photographed "dark" and that the problem is with theaters not projecting it properly.

It's the same old "Dim the bulb" issue that they did with film projectors. This does NOT extend the life of the bulb despite what managers have been led to believe.

Those who have seen Solo properly projected say it looks as good as any Star Wars movie.

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2018 09:22 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can confirm that following a conversation yesterday with a friend of mine who is still in the Digital movies exhibition trade that it is indeed a failure to remove the 3D polarising filter that is the most common cause of the projection of light loss on some movies.

I remember this happening when i was still in the trade.
Our ones were swing away from the front of the lens filters not unlike what we do with scope lenses.

--------------------

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2018 09:40 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know even if there IS a designated projectionist in these modern digital multiplexes? Or is it just one man visiting a whole circuit and not catching problems regularly.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

David Baker
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2018 11:16 AM      Profile for David Baker   Email David Baker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven ,
I can tell you now in the USA it's the THEATER MANAGER that starts the digital movies , " Projectionist " does not exist anymore .

--------------------
Dave

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2018 11:11 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that's what I feared. No doubt the same in the UK.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 15, 2018 11:51 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So sad...and the cost of going to the movies is ridiculous. I was fortunate to see Solo in iMAX projected correctly, but it appears this is not the case for many. In the case where the movie was shown with the 3d filter left on the projector...the theater should have issued refunds.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2018 03:08 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can confirm as an ex Cinema Projectionist here in the UK that the majority of cinemas have no projectionist at all.

The shows are now the responsibility of the management teams. We all got the boot !

The projection boxes ( booths ) are now unmanned !

All the more reason the price of admission is a rip off ! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 15, 2018 04:40 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you wonder where the projectionist has gone, then check this out..

https://youtu.be/L0wZxAVber4

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2018 11:20 PM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here at the Overlook Drive-In in Poughkeepsie, NY I man the booth. Only one digital projector but I make up the playlists which consist of 2 features plus coming attractions and those ever popular Drive-In snack bar ads of yore. I also jump start cars and loan out portable radios to those who do not want to used their car stereos. Believe me, It's a handful. I don't know how a projectionist here dealt with all this when they projected film. My hat is off to all film projectionists.

[ June 16, 2018, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: William Olson ]

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2018 12:25 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just remembered something coming home. My son and his friend wanted to go to the theater and we chose Safe House. Released in 2012 about the time everyone was switching over. I had heard AMC swichted over all theaters to digital. To my surprise I saw a 35mm projector in the booth. I thought what a treat. Then I saw someone threading the projector. Guess who? One of the concession employees. The show was flawless nonetheless. After the show I saw the employee and asked if he always threads the projector and he said he does everything.

So don't the film makers know there are no more protectionist? So how can they think things would go OK.

David Baker
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2018 08:55 AM      Profile for David Baker   Email David Baker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Larry - Projectionist belonged to a " Union " with the MPA so now with digital projectors showing films on data boxes with codes , they are no longer needed and that means a " Union " is no longer needed to protect the projectionst's benefits and wages .

Saving the Theater owners lots of money with less employees to pay , but more profit for them . ( Although I'm sure ALL theaters had to go in debt for the Digital Projectors they were forced to buy ! )

Have you ever seen one of the Digital boxes a film's data comes on ?
It's about the size of a VHS video tape and has a number code that must be entered to release the data into the projector to show the movie . That code is good for one week . After that , it disappears and if you want to show the movie for another week , you must pay for another code to unlock the data box .

Pretty easy with no film to splice , repair or thread . [Frown]

--------------------
Dave

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC