8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Let’s talk refreshments

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Let’s talk refreshments
Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2018 06:04 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For as long as I have been a member here I do not recall seeing this question asked so here goes

How picky are you for serving refreshments or allowing your guests to bring their own

Let’s get critical and Specific

Coke versus Pepsi

Beer or wine

Snacks or meals

Authentic theater popcorn equipment for golden yellow corn

Or perhaps simple microwavable popcorn from the supermarket

Since we all try as best we can to provide quality entertainment on our big screens and through our sound systems why not discuss food and snacks

For me personally I am considering authentic theater popcorn maker and the proper recipe to get the golden yellow corn that the multiplex has around the corner and I normally stock Pepsi products as compared to Coca-Cola

I allow beer every now and then but I always inform my guests to drink responsibly and at their own risk

I do not encourage regular meals only because my theater in the basement is not the best place to consume a sandwich or a hot plate of food

So let’s hear what you others have to say this should be an interesting thread OK somebody take a turn

|  IP: Logged

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2018 06:22 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the "good ole days" of the Cine Club, we were all invited to a member's house for a film show. It turned out to be presented in their own purpose built cinema in a building behind his garage with proper cinema seating......... and we all enjoyed fish and chips in the interval, that had been fetched from the local chippy by the members other half !

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2018 12:42 AM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...I try to keep it simple. If I have more than myself for a screening I make a batch of Orville's the old fashioned way on the stove top, use the same pot to melt the butter after transferring the popcorn into a large salad bowl, then drizzle the corn with melted butter and add a pinch of salt. This is then served up in stylish bags courtesy of Steve Osborne. One for each guest. Beverages are also nostalgic:
Coke for most but in my recent screening I was asked if I had Coke Zero. I had a can or two so all was wonderful. When asked about twizzlers, also prepared...Always have what you think your guests will like. ..

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 15, 2018 01:32 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone around Burtons then [Big Grin]

If i have a big screening i also use the popcorn bags from steve. These are great. We also have those large plastic "movie night popcorn boxes". A mixture of sweets and chocolattes or biscuits,
I myself like the butterkist popcorn but i also use the microwave popcorn and have both sweet and salted. Salted for the weirdos [Big Grin] yuck!!
During the summer it was cold drinks and a beer for me but as we move into the autum itl be a nice mug of tea.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 15, 2018 10:46 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been a yearly tradition that I show a backyard movie when my grandson's visit. This year was no exception. After a BBQ of hamburgers and hotdogs the movie gets started. Next comes microwave popcorn and hot chocolate. During the 1st reel change we take a break for mug cakes and ice cream...then another round of popcorn and hot chocolate after the movie starts again. Since I'm the projectionist and the food server...it's a busy evening.

Side note: This year around 10:45pm (movie was over at 10:30pm) a cop showed up at my door saying a neighbor had complained about the noise. [Roll Eyes]

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 15, 2018 11:21 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a. Coke
b. Wine. For some odd reason, my tummy can't take even four beers anymore without objecting, but I can have a glass or two of the vino, (though I prefer a good cream liqour).

c. Meal!

I was reading a book on the history of drive in theaters and it turns out that Pizza was first sold piping hot and ready at drive ins! I didn't know that! Boy, I would have went to the drive in a lot more often! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted August 15, 2018 01:17 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good thing he didn't want to know where you got the films...

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 15, 2018 01:37 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wife likes to make buttered popcorn when we watch films.

-all well and fine for them, but I can't handle prints with buttery hands!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 15, 2018 02:02 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont usually eat on drink when watching a movie, but the last one we had the group that came asked if it was alright to have wine and pizza before the movie, which they also kindly shared with the projectionist...very nice especially the wine [Smile]

Years ago we used to put film shows on for retirement homes and the last count was over 400 home made scones with jam and cream along with tea and coffee at the end. I think they came more for Yvonne baking than the movie [Big Grin]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 16, 2018 01:37 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice

I was just thinking, would inviting your neighbor to your next outdoor screening help?. Try the old "soften up" approach might help, say a little bit of bribery at there door with a small box of chocolates [Wink]

You never can tell [Smile]

One thing I forgot to mention regarding in this topic, as to what to have when watching films. I do find a wee drop of whiskey goes down well. However being the projectionist I do have a very strict rule, ie to never mix drinks, and as such don't add water. [Smile]

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2018 07:39 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When we have company we'll often make microwave popcorn, with snacks too.

As I usual show some super 8 as well, even before a digital feature, I have as a self-imposed no sticky fingers rule, so no popcorn for me until the digital feature is under way.

Sadly, most of it is usually gone by then! [Roll Eyes] [Smile]

Janice, I think Graham is right; invite them round next time.

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2018 08:32 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cold beer, preferably Lone Star.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC