8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Shifting between IMAX and 2.20:1 ratio?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Shifting between IMAX and 2.20:1 ratio?
Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2018 05:17 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whilst I applaud Christopher Nolan for his use of IMAX, I find the presentation often really irritating when certain shots move from 2.20:1 to full IMAX.

I could understand whole action or spectacle sequences being IMAX and then moving back to 2.20:1, but this changing between certain individual shots in a scene I personally find bonkers.

This afternoon, my mate is bringing Dunkirk on Blu-ray to watch in my home cinema.

I just looked it up and sure enough it will be shifting from 2.20:1 to 1.78:1

Now this would be fine (although less than ideal at home as the only way to really present this is 2.20:1 with room above and below for the 1.78:1, although some picture will still spill into the top and bottom masking) if it is only for certain sequences.

If it is like Interstellar or the Dark Knight movies however, it will randomly shift formats within scenes...I don't get it.

Really irritating and I don't see the point.

|  IP: Logged

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2018 01:25 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too find it odd to switch from one format to another. I wish he would just shoot his whole movie in 5 perf 70mm. WEST SIDE STORY & LAWRENCE OF ARABIA are spectacular in 70mm. There are some exceptions such as BROTHER BEAR would switch from 1:85 to widescreen and it was quite effective.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2018 03:44 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least there was a point in switching seize/ratio in the film Brainstorm (billed as "expanding screen 70mm") where scenes experienced via the "thought transmission" equipment were in a wider ration. I'm not sure of the point in these others.

Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2018 07:16 PM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Huge fan of his here, but I must say, I do wish Christopher Nolan's films were each in one ratio. Brainstorm and some other films had a cool reason for changing ratios. I believe Chris Nolan's reason would be that he loves IMAX, but simply can't shoot an entire movie on IMAX.
I have enjoyed seeing Interstellar and Dunkirk in 5 perf/70mm in theaters. In that presentation, the IMAX scenes are cropped, so it's only one ratio. I have always been plenty amazed by 5/70, but some people just gotta have the format that has THE biggest frame.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2018 01:57 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, watched Dunkirk and great movie. The aspect changing wasn't so bad as this time most of the movie was in IMAX and the taller 2.20:1 minimised the shift.

I do get that it isn't always possible to use the IMAX camera for some shots as it is very large and noisy, but in that case I personally think that saving IMAX for big sequences would be more effective than chopping and changing within a scene.

Obviously one of Hollywood's top directors thinks otherwise, so what do I know?
[Confused] [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC