8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Screenshots ... please!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Screenshots ... please!
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 02, 2019 12:40 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This has been talked about from various stand-points or directions, but i just wanted to put in my two cents worth ...

I'm getting to be like Tom as, I won't bid on an item unless I see screenshots as well ...

Let me give you an example from right this minute ...

There is an auction for a 2X400ft Empire Strikes Back super 8 print, up for auction right now. I had contacted seller about seeing screenshots of the print as, quite frankly, while there were low fade prints made of part 1, (late 1982, last run of prints in fact), nearly all the prints of part 1 are in various states of fade ...

The seller said that he was going to get some screenshots from the print, but it has been days and the auction ends in around 3 days from now ...

But I'm just not willing to bid on a print of this kind unless i know specifically what I am getting into and without screenshots, i just won't bid.

Quite frankly, I think that it is in the best interest of a seller to, if possible, put up actual screenshots of they're prints, as it can definitely increase the number of bids, especially in a case like this where a low fade print of this title is hard to find.

If they are unwilling to do screenshots, it makes the print suspect for a collector who "knows they're hobby". Hey, the print may very well be in good shape and look OK, but one persons "good" or "OK" is a professional collectors "red faded mess", as we can all attest to.

You're thoughts ...

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 02, 2019 06:18 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you put screenshots on your auctions?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 03, 2019 12:06 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I can, most certainly. For instance, in the case of all of those 16MM commercials and such, well, I don't have a 16MM projector, so screenshots are not possible in those cases.

Other cases, it's just laziness, or the auction isn't a big priority, such as an item that i know I'm only going to get the starting bid, if I'm lucky, but if it's a big dollar item, I try to. [Smile]

--------------------

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 03, 2019 02:40 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well based on your first post it sounds like your auctions are “suspect” as well. Maybe this is why your sales are slow.

David Baker
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 03, 2019 03:20 PM      Profile for David Baker   Email David Baker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh come on Osi , GET WITH IT !

You're complaining about other sellers not doing it and you admit YOURSELF as not doing it as well ?

Are you running out of things to post about ??? [Embarrassed] [Embarrassed] [Embarrassed]

--------------------
Dave

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 04, 2019 11:31 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nawwww ... always be plenty of things to post about! [Smile]

(though I do find myself posting about something I posted about years ago on here, but have completely forgotten about).

I used to be of the opinion of not putting up screenshots and, as pointed out, haven't always done so myself, but that it not from a viewpoint of stubbornly not wanting to ... it's from a standpoint of having a poor digital camera that takes reddish photos of even L.P.P. or agfa film prints. the worst thing you can do is make you're items less able to sell.

Ironically, my ebay auctions sold better when I never had screen-shots up. Hmmm, it does make a fellow think. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC