8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Spare a Thought For Fellow Hobbyists

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Spare a Thought For Fellow Hobbyists
Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2019 07:47 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't need me to tell you just how addictive this wonderful world of celluloid can be. A hobby becomes more of a passion.

So spare a thought, please, for fellow hobbyists at Market Deeping Model Railway Club. They set up their layouts in a large hall in Stamford, Lincolnshire UK in preparation for their annual exhibition over the weekend.
Overnight, they were visited by a gang of vandals. Every single layout was wrecked, locomotives splattered on the floor, models jumped on and destroyed. In fact, as the reports said, irreplaceable items and hours of hard work destroyed.

However, in the couple of days since it happened there has been an overwhelming amount of support for those people from all over the world. They set up a sort of Crowd Funding account in which they hoped to raise £500 to carry on.

The amount currently stands at UK Pounds 50,000 ! What a response!

Also, four youths have been arrested on suspicion of burglary and criminal damage.

Just imagine the same happening at Blackpool or Cinesea……

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 20, 2019 08:31 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's disgusting really. It's so hard to build anything: there's planning, design, gathering materials, building, fixing mistakes, improving, maintaining and of course money and even worse Time.

To do a really good job building anything is to invest a little of your soul in it. It's a reflection of the builder.

-yet so easy for some pack of scumbags to show up and take it away. Some of these modelers will start over and do something even better. Some of them will throw in the towel: its now tainted for them.

I hope the Justice system treats this with the seriousness it deserves. One way or another these kids need to regret what they've done.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 20, 2019 09:56 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rod Stewart has donated £10k to the fund.
https://news.sky.com/story/model-railway-club-raises-30-000-after-exhibition-trashed-by-vandals-11724403

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 20, 2019 10:37 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can hardly understand what pleasure peole can find in destrctucting the work and efforts of others [Confused]

--------------------
Dominique

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2019 01:37 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mindless morons .....

Joe Vannicola
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2019 04:19 PM      Profile for Joe Vannicola   Email Joe Vannicola   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a damn shame. I sincerely hope Market Deeping Model Railway Club keeps holding these shows despite the criminal actions of those A holes. Don't let some low brow thugs ruin a good thing.

--------------------
Joe

Clyde Miles
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2019 05:20 PM      Profile for Clyde Miles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
filth. should be removed from society

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2019 11:43 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is so sad...I set up at area train shows and I couldn’t imagine how I would feel if such a thing would happen. It is great to see the response however many of the things destroyed can never really be replaced. But it does show that there are people who care.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 21, 2019 11:17 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad they caught the little snots!

I'll never understand the mentality of vandalizing something, just for the sheer naughtiness of it. If it takes something like that to make these folks feel like "big guys", then they'll probably never make it.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2019 11:32 AM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they caught them! Then they should pay it all back! That will teach them a lesson!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 21, 2019 02:56 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree with Leon. The judge should demand that these kids (and/or their parents) pay for every penny of the damage they have done.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 21, 2019 03:41 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to our do gooder society and snowflake generation nothing much will happen to these ass wipes.
Personally I'd have them birched in public and humiliated.
If i was the victim, I'd like the chance to do it myself.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 21, 2019 03:46 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leon and Paul, justice in Europe is much weaker than in the USA.

[ May 22, 2019, 06:44 AM: Message edited by: Dominique De Bast ]

--------------------
Dominique

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 22, 2019 12:19 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is so sad to read of this happening and I'm sure the love will pour out from all railway enthusiasts to you all at Market Deeping.

This week over here a man was robbed and then throat slashed in Blackpool he is now fighting for his life. Such terrible things.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2019 01:29 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I share Tom's views although it will never happen these days sadly. The truth is that these idiots know that they have nothing to fear from our 'Justice' system so no deterrent.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC