8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » Pathescope Gem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pathescope Gem
John Rickard
Junior

- posted March 09, 2009 12:44 PM      Profile for John Rickard   Author's Homepage   Email John Rickard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello people ,while clearing out my loft i came across a Pathescope Gem cine projector ,a Pathescope "H" cine camera, and approx 20 films including Hitchcocks "Blackmail"and some Laurel and Hardy.The projector still has the original electric flex , should i consider putting a new flex on it , or should i (my first instinct)just leave it alone.It is a nice looking thing , but it seems a shame just to have it as an ornament.Any advice about or information on it would be appreciated.many thanks .

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 09, 2009 06:11 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John and welcome to the forum.

I think you will find this a friendly place and I'm sure you will find the answers you are looking for.

Hope you don't mind but I have moved the thread into the 9.5mm section which is the format the Gem was designed to use.

If it were me I would try to use it and not keep it as an ornament but do check out the old wiring first etc.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 10, 2009 05:59 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John,
I would reiterate what Kev has said - try and get that projector running, but take care with electrical safety, a 3-prong grounded plug would be a good idea.
The Pathescope GEM was introduced in the UK in 1948. It is always noted for its beautiful 'Art Deco' design, which sets it apart from all other projectors. At the time of its debut it was the first projector to utilize high efficiency low voltage 12 volt lamps. This, together with a very fast pull down claw, gave the projector a noticeably bright picture at that time. It also has the advantage of accomodating the large 900ft Pathescope reels.
I believe that I read somewhere that the motor is supported on rubber bushings inside the machine, and that these can possibly disintegerate over a period of 50 years. You may want to check that out, but even if they have I am sure it is easily repaired by using rubber grommets. The GEM is very easily convertible to modern 12 volt 100 watt Halogen lightbulbs if you want to do that, or if you just can't get any of the old replacement bulbs.
Also, as Kev points out, check the wiring-to-case insulation with an ohmeter before you power it up.
Get that beauty up and running and let us know how you are making out!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Michael Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2009 05:15 AM      Profile for Michael Wright   Email Michael Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all, just a question about the Gem. I've heard that the lens supplied with the projector could be better. Is it possible to use another lens?MIKE

John Rickard
Junior

- posted March 12, 2009 11:10 AM      Profile for John Rickard   Author's Homepage   Email John Rickard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
many thanks to Kevin and Paul
for the welcome(what nice chaps).i do have a couple of questions (if anyone could help)this will probably make people smile but i dont know how to thread the film through the spindles (i dont even know if thats the correct term for them), and where can i get belts(?) to make spools go round .At the moment one has a piece of string and the other has a kind of sprung wire which seems to be the wrong diameter because it gets caught between the spindle(?) and the main body . many thanks and please excuse my ignorance .

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 12, 2009 03:48 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,
You can buy a copy of the instruction manual of the Pathescope Gem at Old Timer Camera:

http://www.oldtimercameras.com/stock/Model.asp?Model=9105&ModelPage=true

You can get GEM replacement drive belts from Wharton Parfitt at:

http://web.onetel.com/~parfittwar/

Michael,
The original lens for the GEM (with the bulbous nose) was f2.5 uncoated and not very good. Pathescope later supplied an f1.7 coated Dallmeyer lens which was far superior. You might try Wharton Parfitt, Grahame Newnham, or Buckingham films to see if they have one.

-

[ March 12, 2009, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: Paul Adsett ]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2009 06:08 PM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello John.

You may download a PDF copy of the Gem Instructions from:-

www.cinephoto.co.uk/pathgemqrtz.htm

They will be available until March 15th.

--------------------
EIKI Ex 6100 xenon machine.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2009 02:10 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a couple of other things to look out for with the Gem are:
1) the base of the motor has a tendency to break away from the little feet it is resting on causing a shift which can make the belts get pinched on the side, which slows down their movement. It can also cause the crank on front to rub against the side and slow things down.
2) the speed slider in the front can bend and not respond properly, causing speed fluctuation.
3)definitely watch for bad sprockets going through because the design of the film path is such that if it looses its loop there is no place to go so it will just rub tightly against the lamphousing. Speaking of sprockets, when you thread the film make sure you turn the crank until the teeth are poking out to engage the pulldown and can place the film on the speockets or you run the risk of scratching the film immediately as the claw goes through its movement.

Other than that it is such a fun looking projector it is a good start up into the longer 9.5 films, and they even made a sound base attachment for it.

Plus as suggested Warton is a great source inexpensive replacement parts and belts.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2009 04:11 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Re; Sound base for Gem (Aurator?)...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SOUND-BASE-FOR-9-5MM-PATHESCOPE-GEM-PROJECTOR_W0QQitemZ170310065160QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Photography_VintagePhotography_VintagePhotoAccessories?hash=item17031 0065160&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1690%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Warton Parfitt
Junior

- posted October 19, 2009 03:01 PM      Profile for Warton Parfitt   Author's Homepage   Email Warton Parfitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some lenses from Bell & Howell standard 8 projectors work well in the Gem giving a clearer, brighter, bigger picture.These lenses actually cover the 9.5 frame. But please note the lens must be a prime lens, not zoom as these cause vignetting ( cutting off the corners).

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2009 06:52 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
speaking of the zoom, I just used a bright 1.2 B&H zoom (fitted with a sleeve)in my kodak sound 8 to project a nice big picture at home movie day....I also ran some 9.5 through my Specto (still looking for a brighter lens for that one)...I ran the Swanley Home Guard 1941 film I got from Maurice Leakey, and some home movie footage from Berkely california in 1929, and Montpelier France 1926....All great stuff...

Warton I still owe you that 4.75mm

--------------------

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2010 01:48 AM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi 9.5 lovers

Heres a pic that should cheer you all up.

Its should be called.....

" Down by the Station, early in the morning, see the little Puffing Billies all in a row"
 -
 -

And these 3 Gems are partly the reason why I call this place Projector Heaven.

[ January 13, 2010, 04:07 AM: Message edited by: frank arnstein ]

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2010 11:50 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Pretty Gems all in a Row"

--------------------

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2010 08:24 AM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dino,

Heres a shot of one of the Gems fitted to the Klee Sound aurator unit that was designed & built in Australia for their local market as the imported ones were too expensive.
The sound unit is in as new condition and the Amp works really well.
Makes a great pic so I thought I would share this one with all the 9.5 lovers on the thread.
 -
dogtor [Razz]

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2010 12:18 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank that is beautiful...I have one of the UK A.C.E. sound bases for my gem, but I have not begun to dig inside to see what still works and what doesn't, but ever since I read about the Klee I have been looking for one (that and a Specto sound base). I keep hoping one will pop up in an issue of Reel Deals from au.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC