8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » Specto shutters

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Specto shutters
Michael Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2010 03:27 AM      Profile for Michael Wright   Email Michael Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Specto has a type of shutter I've never seen before. It is essentially a 2 bladed shutter, with one large section that covers the pull down. The second section is very narrow that barely shuts the light off, if at all? Does anyone know what the advantages, if any of this type of shutter? Thanks Mike

|  IP: Logged

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2010 07:31 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The narrow section is intended to increase the "Flicker frequency" without cutting too much light. It would only really be effective at sound speed (flicker of 48 per second); at silent speed flicker would still be obvious.
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2010 04:38 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know the large section of the shutter is tied in very precisely with the pulldown of the claw..if they get out of sync you will get a ghosting of the image on the screen.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2010 12:14 PM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whilst the above postings are correct for most shutters things are slightly different on the Specto.
Being a silent machine it should have a three blade shutter, but it only has two blades.
What happens is that the large blade covers the film during pull down, and then covers the frame twice during projection of that frame, thereby giving you the required number of flickers for silent projection.
The small blade is only there for balance.

--------------------
EIKI Ex 6100 xenon machine.

Michael Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2010 04:55 PM      Profile for Michael Wright   Email Michael Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Hugh that explains a lot. MIKE

Josef Grassmann
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 30, 2010 12:07 PM      Profile for Josef Grassmann   Author's Homepage   Email Josef Grassmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
similar to 16mm Bell & Howell made in the 60īs, Type 221 ??.
Gives a good increase in light output, bright screen.
Was also introduced on cinema projectors.

david lamont rough
Junior

- posted October 18, 2010 04:59 PM      Profile for david lamont rough   Author's Homepage   Email david lamont rough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have a specto 9.5mm,and on showing film,in the middle of the film projection there is a faint light the same width as the notches in the film but all the way down the frames,any ideas anyone

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2010 01:50 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The shutter is out of alignment, you'll need to run the projector a bunch with the side plate off, since this will be a
1) adjust
2) test
3) repeat until you get the desired results ...

There is a tiny little screw on the shutter. I would first try unscrewing the screw and sliding the shutter back and forth along the little spindle (this would be towards the lamp or away from it) You should be able to take care of it from this, if it doesn't it should clear up most of it you might just still see some "ghosting" on titles, the next step would be syncing up the large blade with the claw pull down.

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

david lamont rough
Junior

- posted November 03, 2010 04:46 AM      Profile for david lamont rough   Author's Homepage   Email david lamont rough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks Dino,all done,Davy

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC