8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » What 9.5mm films have you watched this week? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10 

Author Topic: What 9.5mm films have you watched this week?
Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 16, 2013 10:22 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Pathe Baby system was designed to be easy and economical. One of the ways was to notch films so that it would stop in the projector for a few seconds and then start automatically again. This allowed to use only two or three frames for the tittles and for any not moving part of the film. So you could have a longer projection time with less stock.

--------------------
Dominique

|  IP: Logged

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted September 16, 2013 10:36 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, okay. Thanks :-) Didn't burn the film then?

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 16, 2013 12:11 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, the light was not powerful.

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 24, 2013 12:07 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Autour d'un film de montagne (Around A Mountain Film), an intersting sound short about the making of Premier de cordée (premier means first and cordée is all the alpinists from the same rope). It shows, as you can expect from the title, the actors and the cinema team when they are shooting the film.

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 28, 2013 04:06 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched a film I shoot and came back from the laboratory today. It was a Middle Age village with people dressed and acting like at that time. Great colors !

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 01, 2013 05:19 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Feu de joie, a french film, sound version.

--------------------
Dominique

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2013 12:50 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that my traveling is done I have time for some films again.. Tonight I watched a collaboration between two of my absolute favorites Betty Balfour and Marcel L'Herbier entitled Little Devil May Care aka LE DIABLE AU COEUR (1928, Pathe 20 x 30ft notched reels despooled to 2 x 300ft reels) The movie is sort of like L'Herbier's version of Sparrows, for those not familiar with it, and it features some of the most beautiful, artistic shots of any Balfour movie. Watched it on the trusty Bolex DA.

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 04, 2013 01:02 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino...What a treat to have such wonderful films in your collection:)

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 29, 2014 06:43 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched good old Steve the Horse in a 9.5mm optical sound film projected on a 1937 Pathe Vox projector.
 -

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 18, 2014 07:44 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was cleaning and lubing my Pathescope Ace yesterday and got all nostalgic for my teen years when the Ace was my introduction to a lifetime of cine. Back then I would rent silent 9.5mm films from the local photo shop and spend hours hand cranking through the many silent classic films.
The days of hand cranking 300ft reels are long gone, but I did spend a copule of hours cranking some 30 and 60 footers. Included in my Ace marathon were such titles as Redskin Raiders , Mickey Sells Hotdogs, Old Crocks and Automobiles, and some Popeye 200 footers including The Hyp-nut-ist, A Clean Shaven Man.
All presented on my giant 24 inch screen! [Big Grin]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2014 04:16 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was lucky to buy 5 x reels for only NZ$25 and watched them all this past week.
It's the circus pts 1 & 2 1950's
Historic ceremonies of The Coronation of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth 1953
Thrills and Spills 1951

And 2 reels of Home Movies from 1938 in Skegness plus The Isle Of Man,and they were done really well with titles added etc.
Watching these it was interesting to remember that they were filmed over 75 years ago! Sure I have no idea who they were but the scenes at a circus and Nottingham Goose Fair and the other holiday scenes are interesting and fun!
And the maker called himself Avenue Films present.....clever I thought (his surname was Hoon) [Smile]

I bet the film-maker wouldn't have imagined that a short note would be added to a forum on his films in the year 2014!!!!!
[Smile]

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 30, 2014 02:42 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight I had time for some French released American features on notched 9.5. The first up was an otherwise lost Matt Moore/Dorothy Devore film entitled The Narrow Street (1924, aka Un Grande Timide 6 x 60ft Pathe 938)which was followed by a William Fairbanks actioner entitled The Fatal Mistake (1924, aka Un Beau Reportage 5 x 60ft Pathe 936)

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted April 28, 2014 08:47 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THE SHOWS THE THING 1936
(Billy Merrin etc)
I'm pretty hoocked on this little sound 9-5 gem and trying to find out about Jessie 'The Child Impersonator' who is in the musical short.

I wonder if anyone has info on Jessie?

-

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 28, 2014 10:57 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
S 547 "The Undying Flame" a notched 2 reeler obtained packaged in one of the earliest packaging used by Pathescope before they used the famous blue cardboard round cartons. Screened it on my Bolex PA with modified electrics and halogen lighting. Also screened the sound test reel "Multum in Parvo" and a popeye cartoon to give one of my PAX machines a "fire up" to make sure the electronics are still working o.k. We don't want the capacitors drying out do we! The other one is still very poorly at the moment with drive pulley Mazak disease!! Have not been able to fit the steel replacement yet due to so many other projects in the pipe line, and everything seems to take so much longer these days at my age. Ken Finch. [Wink]

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 28, 2014 01:03 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently got out my Specto and watched two 300ft Cadbury films (silent of course). One is of the Cadbury chocolate factory in what looks to be 30's-40's. Great footage of the manufacturing process and factory workers. One shot shows the chocolates being decorated by hand - amazing! The other is a film about the Cadbury farm - same era because the cows are being milked BY HAND! using the old three legged milking stools. What I found strange was that all the milkers were men.
Absolutely fascinating. Pure nostalgia and throwback to a bygone, much simpler farming life. Luckily the films have survived well and are in superb condition Has anyone else seen these films?

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted April 28, 2014 01:30 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds great, Terry !

--------------------
Dominique

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 29, 2014 12:58 AM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just watched Felix The Protector - 30ft B/W. Even though it is a short film and that it is notched I easily got the "jist" of the story.I don't have a projector that pauses at the words but as I said it was just a story of a dog chasing a boy up a tree and Felix comes to the rescue - Fun from the 1920's.
I really enjoy the simplicity of these Felix The Cat films [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 29, 2014 05:10 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Terry, You are very fortunate to have copies of the Cadbury films. They were some of the very few "sponsored" films that were available for free hire via the Pathescope Film Library. Pre war and a little before I was old enough or my parents wealthy enough to even think of Home Cinema. Photography was limited to a small box Brownie in those days. Ken Finch [Smile]

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2014 08:09 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Ken
Thanks for that bit of information. I thought they must be unusual and they are a joy to watch. I have another one which must have been sponsored by Colgate. It's titled Ivory Castles and is aimed at encouraging children to look after their teeth. Although it is of the same era, I would imagine, it would still have appeal to youngsters today. I just love these old pre war films. Going back to the Cadbury films and my surprise that all the milkers were men, I was forgetting that in those days married women were not allowed to work. How times have changed!.
Terry

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 01, 2014 08:41 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve the Horse in ‘Steve’s Canon Crackers’ 1937.
Started preparing the film programme for my 9-5 sound spectacular taking place in a few days checking splices as you do. [Smile]

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 02, 2014 03:08 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rather splendid evening watching my old pal Hughie Green (right) in Midshipman Easy 4 reels and sound.
 -

A sharp 9-5 sound print this and joy to view..

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2014 02:04 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lee, I have the "Mute" 4 reel version of this and many years ago John Stocks sent me a reel to reel recording of the 9.5mm sound track which I played back whilst projecting the film. Had great fun trying to synchronise it !! Nowadays I confess it is easier to watch it on DVD (One of the Ealing Greats collection), and it is the full uncut version. I remember reading the book as a boy. In fact I read all of the Captain Marriott novels. The film does keep very close to the original and the late Hughie Green was well chosen for the part. Ken Finch.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 07, 2014 03:00 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Ken. Easy is a 9-5 sound film which rarely becomes available and I’ve certainly been looking for a print for many a year. I do have quite an affinity with it due to working with Hughie in some 70’s stage shows and also TV work and when he used to come to our home we often chatted about his films which were many including Midshipman Easy. It meant a great deal to me when I finally got my mitts of a copy on film and it’s probably my prized 9-5 sound film for obvious reasons.

In the 80’s the film did get a satellite broadcast just once and like you the new DVD is very welcome with more in the pipeline we are told. I keep hoping some company will release ‘Josser Joins the Navy’ 1932, a film I spent years trying to find a 17.5mm copy of for my late father who projected 17.5 and 9.5mm sound films around the villages of Kent during the war years. Dad so wanted to see that film again but alas my search was not to be fruitful. [Frown]

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2014 12:49 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lee, "Easy" along with a number of pre war releases seem to have been withdrawn quite quickly because they did not re appear in the post war catalogues. I guess this is why they are so rare. There a quite a few films that were once on 9.5 sound or silent which have appeared on the Ealing collection series including "Secret of the Loch", but I guess you know this. It is interesting that there appears to be a market for these old films and not just by those "brought up" on 9.5mm (The original Home Cinema and film collectors gauge). Ken Finch.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 09, 2014 06:12 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just watched two sound films A Hockey Hit and Shirley aime les chiens, a, as you could guess, film with Shirley Temple. This film has an English sound but is subtitle in French.

--------------------
Dominique

All times are Central
This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC