8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » How do you splice 9.5mm pathe film?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do you splice 9.5mm pathe film?
Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 17, 2012 01:11 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a Pathe projector on Ebay that came with films. It said some need splicing repairs. I was just curious to how any of you are doing this

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

|  IP: Logged

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2012 04:03 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Morning from New Zealand,
I am lucky to have a 9.5mm film splicer, i use that the same as a 8mm&16mm splicer unit, obviously the different types of splicers have different hole spacers etc.I used to only use cement but came across some 9.5s that wouldn't stay joined with cement,now I use the same splicer but now I use tape to join with good results.It took me a few goes to realise the sprocket holes must be the exact right space between them or my Specto wouldn't like the joins and lose the loop
[Roll Eyes]

I love the simplicity of this old format and enjoy collecting 9.5mm aswell as the other formats [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 19, 2012 12:08 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the 9.5 projectors only played film in cartidges...Is that true?

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2012 12:35 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice there are many, many projectors for 9.5 and just like other gauges, there are variations in the size of reels they take...Old Baby projector were designed for the 30ft and 60ft cartridges unless you added extension arms, where as the Specto's and some other will take up to 1000ft arms...It is just like an old Revere taking only 300ft reels or a Eumig that takes 600 footers..

As for splicing the films I now have a 9.5 guillotine splicer but for years I used a razor blade, and 16mm tape and had to cut the sprocket holes out of every splice, which is what I still have to do for 28mm films..

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2012 02:41 AM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats true, i have a Specto 9.5mm projector and have bought a few films in the tins, i just unwind them from the cartridges onto a normal reel.Easy as that....

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 19, 2012 03:04 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice. Look for a Specto 500 9.5mm projector. They are very kind to film, good light output and will take larger reels as well. The early models were black in color but the 500 model was sort of a light grey. Superb machine and made in England. YAY! The Specto 500 model also came as a dual gauge machine showing 9.5mm and 16mm as well which is handy. Sometimes these are sold missing some of the interchangable parts so make sure both gate plates are present and also the two sets of spool hubs.

John Davis
Master Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2012 07:22 AM      Profile for John Davis   Email John Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Janice,
I use cement splices and use a French Marguet splicer

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevp/3394649043/in/pool-1049447@N20%7Ckevp

and I've found these to be terrific (I use them for my standard 8 films too)

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2012 06:58 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use the Marguet splicer aswell......it's a good splicer.... [Smile]
Aswell as using the splicer with cement I also use it for tape splicing [Smile]

--------------------

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2013 05:58 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Clinton,
I am interested in this Marguet tri-film splicer, for use with 8mm and 9.5mm. So you confirm that is good? But it is also guillotine?

[ June 08, 2013, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: Luigi Castellitto ]

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2013 11:03 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Luigi,i am pleased with it and the results are great.It has a cutter like all other film guage splicers.

--------------------

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2013 07:38 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Clinton, I think I get it!

...and about 9.5mm projectors. The recommended Specto 500 is fine for incoming movies that would turn with a Pathè National II (which is to get me)? Do you need any special accessory?

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 21, 2013 12:58 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favourite cement splicer is the Tri gauge Marguet for 9.5mm films. I also have a Muray which gives a thinner overlap which also works quite well. I tend to use the CIR 9.5mm tape splicer mostly these days for repairing damaged films and for joining multi reeled films onto larger spools as fewer frames are lost. Ken Finch.

John Davis
Master Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2013 07:35 AM      Profile for John Davis   Email John Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second Ken's Marguet recommendation. I recently bought a back-up one boxed from an antique shop for £8 and I suspect it had never been used

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2013 11:36 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently took both the Tri-Marguet film that Muray, good to hear you say this!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC