8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » Branching into 9.5mm sound (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Branching into 9.5mm sound
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 03, 2015 09:55 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just bought two Pathescope Sons and a Vox so that I can have 9.5mm sound.

These were part of the Curzon collection. All three, however, will need professional attention to bring them into full operating condition.

Also included in the purchase were several sound shorts, including Popeye and Betty Boop, and a fully working Pathescope Gem. The latter a possible source for spares for the Sons.

[ February 04, 2015, 03:32 AM: Message edited by: Maurice Leakey ]

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 03, 2015 10:10 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's fantastic !

--------------------
Dominique

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2015 03:10 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice, don't use the Son, if you want to keep you 9.5 sound films...

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2015 02:55 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice
Sent you a pm
Terry

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 04, 2015 03:37 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that Terry and I do not necessarily share Dino's view of the Son projector.
Yes, they were made down to a price, but that doesn't mean that in capable hands that they should cause problems to films running through them.

--------------------
Maurice

Mike Shaw
Junior

- posted February 04, 2015 04:56 AM      Profile for Mike Shaw   Email Mike Shaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice,My 90yr.old technician as just restored 3 Pathescope Vox's for me plus a 'Son'he's now working on a'Pax' to do away with that dreaded shute arrangement...The Vox is a nice reliable machine,mine as been converted by installing Eiki transformer so a halogen 24v 250w lamp can be used along with 4v.075 exciter,transistor amplifier etc.240v operation,all have had that mirror system removed and solar cell installed,the other 2 machines still run on 110v and there old 200w & 400w lighting system because I have stock of those lamps,all have solar cell modifications.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 04, 2015 05:01 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Vox has a transistorised amplifier with a photo diode, and the 15volt 150watt dichroic reflector lamp.
Its problem is probably connected with the motor possibly having shorted-out windings, when switched on it blows the house fuse.
The whole motor may need a rewind.

--------------------
Maurice

Mike Shaw
Junior

- posted February 04, 2015 10:46 AM      Profile for Mike Shaw   Email Mike Shaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice,checkout your motor mountings or gears binding,that dreaded Mazak metal can warp,usually does,I know all 3 of mine had that problem.
Mike.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 04, 2015 11:39 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How was it cured, Mike?

--------------------
Maurice

Mike Shaw
Junior

- posted February 04, 2015 03:42 PM      Profile for Mike Shaw   Email Mike Shaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I didn't do the job Maurice,my technician relayed the problem he was having,on the Super Vox it was really bad that he had to realign the bearing and machine speed changeover gears to stop them from binding....plus on another Vox even had to straighten the armature that had been slightly bent from Mazak deterioration.
Mike.
 -

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2015 12:27 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice, believe me Dino is right about the SON it is notorious for ruining film even in the most capable hands. The threading path around the sprockets is too sharp and rips the sprocket holes. The amplifier is absolute rubbish and the motor burns out because it was over volted to run at sound speed. You can verify these facts from many Group 9.5. members, particularly Ken Valentine. He used to work for Pathescope.!! A modernised VOX is your best bet but do watch out for the Mazak problems. This problem has also arisen with the drive pulley of the PAX which with the "Chute" replaced by a roller system is probably an alternative to the VOX. Having said that, the one at the Curzon collection looks in a very sorry state and appears to have been abused at some stage! Ken Finch.

Mike Shaw
Junior

- posted February 05, 2015 03:40 PM      Profile for Mike Shaw   Email Mike Shaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Maurice this is true what Ken said but with a bit of tweaking there not all that bad,the one I had overhauled runs pretty well but favour the Vox or Pax more....Again on my 'Son'a new transistorised amplifier & solar cell have been installed but on original motor,one of the reasons for tearing sprockets is that the sound flywheel as to be running very free with no drag,my technician spent a bit of time on the flywheel bearings but once cleaned and regreased the soundrum ran free,that I believe is the main problem,the machines being over 60yr.old the old grease compacks like glue.O.K I keep my fingers crossed on the motor because they were under volted to get them to run at 24fps but it's better than my 'Gem' with Kleesound unit.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 05, 2015 04:27 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always thought the 'Son' was a great looking machine, and dreamed of owning one as a teenager back in the 50's. Too bad its performance does not live up to expectations. But it seems to me that a lot of the Pathescope projectors and cameras were poorly designed. I once had a 'Pat' camera, and it was a dog, with a lens like a marble, and the charger always jamming up. Pathescope must have had a lot of really dissapointed customers with some of their products, whereas you would think that, as the flagship company for 9.5mm, they would have aimed for the very best design, quality, and performance of their 9.5mm equipment.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Mike Shaw
Junior

- posted February 05, 2015 04:41 PM      Profile for Mike Shaw   Email Mike Shaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes!you would have thought that Paul,but I think that they had to put something out cheap to combat 8 & 16mm...they had some great ideas but implemented them with cheapness..take the Ace and Princess projectors,should never had been made then on the other hand come up with the Europe which was one of there better effots but at a Price.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 05, 2015 05:34 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree about the Princess, but the last time I saw one on ebay it sold for over $1,200.00! [Eek!]
The Ace, is actually a pretty well designed little machine. It does not pretend to be anything but a basic projector for showing movies on a small screen, and it is a very solid and robust design. But, it was in production for over 30 years, and not once in that period did Pathescope make any attempt to fix the well known problem of the brake arm scratching the he** out of the film!

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 06, 2015 03:47 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks, Gentlemen, for all your comments and suggestions. These will be passed on when the restorations of the Sons and Vox commence.

--------------------
Maurice

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2015 11:22 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gentlemen all, If you are really interested in the history of 9.5mm and Pathescope and its equipment in particular a wealth of information can be obtained from joining "Group 9.5" and "The Vintage Film Circle" (A very old established club for film collectors.) This was started by a group of film collectors in 1956
when the most popular gauge for collecting was 9.5mm. Both have regular "house" magazines "9.5" and "Flickers" The the latest issue of the latter contains the 2nd and final part of "The History of 9.5mm sound", by the editor Patrick Moules, founder of Novascope. I have written articles for both from time to time. Other sources of information are the books published by my late friend Gerald McKee, past editor of "Flickers " for many years, And the website "Cinerdistan". Best of luck to you all in your search for decent prints but remember Pathescope went out of business in 1959 and very little has been available on 9.5mm sound since then. I stand by what I said about the "Son". Whatever you do with it it strains the sprocket holes because of the drag from the sound drum and the tight curves. This is made worse because some of the film stock films were printed on during the war and has become very brittle over the years and tends to split laterally across the sprocket holes and you end up with thousands of still frames as they pass round the very small radius curves of the "Son" particularly the roller feeeding the underside of the sprocket. Why it was decided to use such a small diameter sprocket really beggars belief! Ken Finch. [Roll Eyes]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 06, 2015 01:50 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the only conclusion to that question Ken, is that the designers at Pathescope really were not very good at what they did! Time and again with Pathescope equipment you come across really stupid design decisions, the Pat camera film take up, the brake arm on the Ace, and the sprocket size on the Son and the Gem. Did they never fully test their products before marketing them? And when problems were found why were the designs not corrected in future production?
By comparison, the 9.5mm projectors made by the likes of Specto, Eumig, and Bolex were indeed Rolls Royce's.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2015 05:12 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When my father invested in 9.5mm sound in the 50's he opted for the Specto projector and the ACE sound unit. That was my introduction to what today we call home cinema and I loved it.

The set-up worked really well even though there was no sprocket wheel after the sound head. My dad would tell me as long as the take-up spool ran true and the (exposed) flywheel shaft was lubricated there would be very little, if any, wow. Wish I still had it.

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2015 12:35 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only problem with using the Specto with the ace sound unit is again the motor would be running full tilt since it was designed as a silent machine, so the whole unit would be over working itself, but the Specto is nice and gentle to the film at least.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 23, 2015 11:51 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had a PM from a member asking why I was going into 9.5 sound whilst 16mm was more readily available.

I replied via a PM, but the answer is in my first posting of this topic.

Three 9.5 sound projectors were offered to me and I couldn't refuse.

I just love projectors having worked in 35mm cinemas all my life.

--------------------
Maurice

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2015 05:02 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ddon't usually venture on to the 9.5 forum but I started with the Ace as a kid. Actually quite a good little machine. Films from Galloways in Birmingham were 30ft 5/- and 60ft 9/6d. Then I bought a Son but it was not very good so got rid of it. A Specto dual was really nice and the Lido camera produced some lovely pictures. In my 20's I imported a Cinegel Royal 235. I reminded the importers that it needed to be for 240 volts. They didn't include a transformer, so thinking it had an internal one I plugged it in. The bang was terrific. It was repaired but eventually was returned due to constant shocks and poor sound. I've never heard 9.5 at it's best. Perhaps some day!! I'm fortunate to enjoy a 50 seat cinema with 16mm Fumeo and 35mm Simplex machines which we run for public shows every wednesday using our own library prints, but I have a fondness for 9.5 where the bug first bit me.

--------------------
Dave

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 25, 2015 05:17 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Dave, I think most of us started with 9.5mm and then later progressed to other gauges. But nine-five does have that nostalgic ring to it.

I have started building up my 9.5 sound library, some blue round Pathescope boxes are now in my own possession when as child I could only stand and admire them all stacked up in my local cine shop in Bristol.

--------------------
Maurice

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 25, 2015 09:10 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good Morning Maurice,
Is'nt it amazing when you read all these stories, like Dave's, of how people started out in cine, and the vast majority started with the little Pathe Ace and a 30ft reel! I guess we all owe Pathescope an eternal gratitude for getting us all into this lifetime hobby.
Incidentally Grahame Newnham has many Pathescope sound films on his web site, which you can hear via YouTube. The optical sound quality of 9.5mm aounds pretty good to me. [Smile] Dave should check them out.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 25, 2015 10:16 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're quite right, Paul, it's quite amazing what the narrow 9.5 sound track can do.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC