8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » A New LED Bulb for My Pathe Baby (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: A New LED Bulb for My Pathe Baby
Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 26, 2016 06:38 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got my bulb yesterday. The light in my Coq projector is good. The "trouble" I found was that the replaced bulb holder had been enarged to accept the halogene bulb. So a new bulb holder should work but as I didn't make the transformation, I will see if I make the replacement or not.

--------------------
Dominique

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 26, 2016 01:30 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique I'm not familiar with the Coq projector...but if it uses the same bulb...reflector...and condenser lens system as the Baby then with the proper bulb holder theoretically it should work. Let us know how it turns out [Smile] .

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2016 06:38 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dom, I'm curious to see the results with the Coq!

Someone more experienced than me in the electric field could help me with this doubt? According to the conversion tables (example: http://www.ledlamp.it/comparazione.html) the brightness of halogen 20 watt 12 volt, like that of my Ace Pathescope, corresponds to LED 3w 4w always at 12v. But we are talking about watts, not volts... if I take a higher wattage, but always 12v, I risk of merging all? For example, Led 10w 12v? Or even higher?

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 31, 2016 09:19 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure my last message was clear so I took a picture of the bulb holder : one of the two holes has been enlarged (I think so anyway, maybe it is originally like that ?.
 -
The halogene bulb holds firmly but the led one doesn't as well.
 -
It fits and stays up but not strongly. So what I need to do is trying when the projector is in action with a film to see 1) if the light goes correctly 100 % through the system 2) if the trépidations of the projector makes the bulb move. That is to be tested at night so it will not be for now.

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 31, 2016 11:44 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique
If your new lamp is slightly loose in the lamp-holder it might be possible to make the pins fit more tight by slightly enlarging the pins with a very small dribble of solder on them.

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 31, 2016 04:09 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the advise, Maurice. I may try that following the result of my tests.

--------------------
Dominique

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2016 10:06 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dom, how many watts is your new LED and how was the bulb you had before?

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 01, 2016 11:31 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luigi, Dom bought the same LED I recommended above (12V 6W). Comparing watts (LED vs Halogen) is not a good indicator of brightness when used in the Pathe Baby projector. As I stated above this LED bulb is listed as 6 watts equal in brightness to a 40 watt halogen. However when used in the Pathe Baby the brightness projected appeared only equal to the 10W halogen. It gets down to the design of the bulb and how much light it can squeeze through the small condenser lens.

--------------------
Janice

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2016 11:45 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dom
Easier than trying to dribble solder onto the pins of the bulb, just gently spread the pins to give a better fit. I've done this successfully quite a few times.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 01, 2016 01:08 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Terry. It appears that the bulb is not hold firmly enough so I will have to fix that. I will try both solutions. Luigi, I don't know the wattage of the halogene lamp as it is not written on it and the conversion had not been made by me. There is a little fan in the projector so I guess it is at least 20 watts. The led bulb however doesn't seem less bright but this may look different with a film (and that's what matters, right ?). I'll try to go on with that this week but I have many films to respool, clean, Watch and so on :-)

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 21, 2016 06:15 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I followed Maurice's suggestion and it worked ! This led bulb gives a real black and white picture (and not yellowish), so I found it very nice for this reason. I could not have an enough bright picture to project on my screen at the same distance I put my other projectors but when I turned my Pathé Coq and screened on the (white) wall closer, the picture was of course smaller but good. The nice thing with the bulb is that it has the right size to send the light to the lens. It is pleasure to project without fearing a burn frame. I hope one day they make the same model but more powerful. Don't hesitate to try this bulb !

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 22, 2016 02:34 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done, Dominique. I always try to help.

--------------------
Maurice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 22, 2016 03:18 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
You do indeed Maurice, to your absolute credit. [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 22, 2016 12:20 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great feedback Dominique! I'm so glad you gave this bulb a try and had some success. This shows great progress in the development of the LED and its use in projectors. I have no doubt that a brighter lamp will be achieved in the future.

--------------------
Janice

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2016 05:19 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Finally I bought the LED of this form, triangular:
http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1rX3NKpXXXXb2XpXXq6xXFXXXf/Dimmable-G4-LED-Lamp-6W-COB-LED-Bulb-DC-AC-12V-LED-G4-COB-Light-360.jpg

Before I had this form on my Pathescope Ace:
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODAwWDgwMA==/z/11IAAOSwGXtXg2jT/$_57.JPG?set_id=880000500F

I must say that this time I am unhappy, yhe light is more concentrated on screen space, but there is really too bluish effect, and the when the bulb is more hot bulish effect more increases! Maybe because I chose "cold white" instead of" "warm white"? I don't think, my other type of LED was equally warm white; say that much depends on the case...
With the other LED, type in the second in link, I had a good effect b/w, a nicer alternative at typical sepia effect of halogen; a nice result like Janice.

Well, I'll try again with triangular shape LED, but I'll take a warm white type. [Smile]

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 15, 2016 06:00 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luigi you might see if you can order the exact bulb that Dom and I purchased.

--------------------
Janice

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 19, 2016 05:36 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good advice, Janice, I buy it at the shop that you and Dom posted by eBay link.

I was wondering if I can take, if necessary, also 6w version, although according to the conversion table corresponding to 40W of halogen standard, beyond the 20W of halogen bulb I usually do. There will be risks?

For this doubt I always bought the 3W, which corresponds precisely to 20w halogen standard.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 19, 2016 09:18 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Luigi you will need at least the 6 watt LED. If you read my results above you will see that the 6 watt doesn't give out any more brightness then a 10 watt halogen bulb. Dom and I both bought the 6 watt bulb and since there is no heat it's not a problem to go with the higher wattage. As long as it's 12 volts it's not a problem.

I was going to try the 3 watt version...but since you have already tested it with unfavorable results...I think I'll stay with the 6W for now.

[ July 19, 2016, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 19, 2016 06:32 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right, Janice, if you are getting 12 volts there should be no problems, it's true.
I saw that, in terms of brightness, there is not much difference between 10w halogen and 6W led, and I noticed that even with my 20W halogen of my Ace and 3W led is not much difference. Change only the coloring, as we have noted.

I think that however the bluish effect also depends by the projector, the lens and the quality of the LED light bulb, which perhaps are not always equal, even if they have the same appearance.

I bought the new 6W bulb, it will take a bit 'from China to Italy, but will let you know! [Smile]

An info: you and Dom bought cold white or warm white type?

Thanks!

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 19, 2016 07:31 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool White.

--------------------
Janice

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 20, 2016 01:53 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! [Smile]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC