This is topic The Mechanics of the Film Projector in forum 16mm Forum at 8mm Forum.

To visit this topic, use this URL:;f=5;t=001903

Posted by Can Sanalan (Member # 5988) on November 21, 2018, 11:30 AM:

While spending countless hours watching random Youtube videos I came across this video on how film projectors work and thought I'd share the link.
It's a fascinating piece of engineering.
Love it.
Posted by Tom Photiou (Member # 130) on November 25, 2018, 03:56 AM:
Can. Thats a great little youtube video. Thanks for sharing that one. While we all know how these work, this is great for showing people who do show a genuine interest in our hobby. My youngest Daughter is into retro things and is now collecting records. She also watched and followed what i did recently with my NT1 when i dismantled large parts to the best of my ability and she was fascinated when it all went back together and watched it working.
Iwas fasinated that it actually worked!!!
Great stuff.i see it has had a decent amount of viewings too.

[ December 01, 2018, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: Tom Photiou ]
Posted by Dominique De Bast (Member # 3798) on November 25, 2018, 06:51 AM:
Interesting video, indeed. There are many technical words I don't know in English but I could follow [Smile] I have however a question : I thought what is called a "shuttle" in the video was a "claw". Is that two words for the same thing or am I mistaking ?
Posted by Tom Photiou (Member # 130) on November 25, 2018, 07:33 AM:
Have to say ive not heard the term shuttle before. Cant say id ever use that word.
Posted by Terry Sills (Member # 3309) on November 25, 2018, 08:38 AM:
Yes of course - shuttle is a quite legitimate description of the claw mechanism. It shuttles the film through the gate.
Posted by Dominique De Bast (Member # 3798) on November 25, 2018, 09:21 AM:
Thanks for your answers.
Posted by Tom Photiou (Member # 130) on November 25, 2018, 12:47 PM:
Terry, thanks for that, ive not heard it before but it makes sense. 40 years of collecting too [Embarrassed]
Posted by Can Sanalan (Member # 5988) on November 25, 2018, 02:22 PM:
I just find it all fascinating and marvel at the engineering of such machines. How everything is synchronized and works to literally turn still frames into moving images with sound.
The way one element moves and then another does something else and then another pushes something etc etc.
Tom it must be very nice to be able to share your passion with your daughter. It just makes the hobby that extra bit fun.
It's a shame none of my friends are in to this kind of stuff but hey at least we have this forum:)
Posted by Simon Wyss (Member # 1569) on December 01, 2018, 05:16 AM:
Bell & Howell used the term shuttle extensively since they had introduced the so-called shuttle film movement with the design 2709 standard camera back in 1911 (sold from summer 1912 on). The design 70 Filmo, 71 Eyemo, and the Filmo 8 cameras have a true shuttle, too. It oscillates stricly linearly down and up in the tradition of the Cinématographe Lumière.
Posted by Barry Fritz (Member # 1865) on December 01, 2018, 07:13 PM:
Other terms used are pulldown and intermittent. I think claw is what is most commonly used.
Posted by Rob Young. (Member # 131) on December 02, 2018, 07:56 AM:
I say reel, you say!!!

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]
Posted by Bill Phelps (Member # 1431) on December 02, 2018, 01:00 PM:
I thought you called it a spool Rob! [Big Grin]
Posted by Brian Fretwell (Member # 4302) on December 03, 2018, 01:38 PM:
Quick crosswords often use the clue of Spool for the andser reel (and vice versa). :-)

Visit for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC

Powered by Infopop Corporation