Recent split spool purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent split spool purchase

I have been on the lookout for split spools over a number of months. I had some films on metal spools and was alarmed at the cost of getting replacement plastic spools. There is also the danger, as I understand, of VS appearing on films stored on metal spools/ cans. I thought that by using cores the cost of this exercise would be cheaper as a core is a fraction of the cost of a Tuscan spool, for example.

However the cost of split spools can be eye watering too, and is particularly annoying as I sold a split spool on Ebay about 20 years ago during a downsize, and always regretted it.

One Sunday evening very recently, an item listed as a pair of take up spools had just been posted on Ebay. I could see from the picture that these examples, made by Premier, were split spools and not take up spools. They were a good size for me too at 800’ and I liked the design of them, rather than the ‘wire’ type. They may be too limiting in capacity for some, but as I only collect shorts and over 90% of my collection is 800’ or under so it was a perfect combination.

It was a ‘buy it now’ auction, and was only £14.99 for the pair, inc post and packing, so a real bargain which I immediately snapped up!Click image for larger version

Name:	16mm_split_spools.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	36308
Working...
X