THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA prints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA prints

Does anyone know if anyone released a copy of the Hampton print in 8mm or Super 8? Blackhawk's is the Eastman House print.

I see Niles prints for sale often but have no idea which version it is. If they did release it, is it a washed-out, soft-focus mess?

I'm also looking for an online source for the untampered with Gaylord Carter soundtrack he recorded in 1974 for Blackhawk. I have that Carter soundtrack, but it's been tampered with to sync properly to the latest HD scans. The laser disc produced by Shepard had it, as well as an early Kino VHS. I just saw the latter for sale on you-know-where, and the seller wants $75!!! There is also an Image DVD produced by Shepard that has it too, but I don't know if it was tampered with to match the video. I heard that the first edition of the Image Blu-ray by Shepard had it, but it was quickly replaced with one that fixed the sync issues -- which is the soundtrack I have.

What happened was awhile ago I bought a "sound" Blackhawk print, but the music stopped after about 10 minutes, and it wasn't the Carter track anyway. I suppose a collector had it striped himself but never finished recording it. I made an attempt to transfer the Carter track to the print myself, but it was tedious, since in the first 10 minutes it was very hard to keep it reasonably in sync. That's because those ballet sequences were changed for the scans (speeded up and down), and it quickly throws the original Carter track out of sync. And I read that throughout the film, the track had to be edited to fix the sync with the new scans. But if I have a pure Carter track, as recorded in 1974, I'll have a fighting chance to get a reasonable sync with my Blackhawk print. It is only organ music, but it is easy to see and hear when it gets out of sync, such as in the chandelier scene.

I've already scoured youtube, and the Carter score is there, but it is a home-made re-edit of the laser disc score synced to his home-made restoration of various Blu-rays.
    Last edited by Brian Harrington; September 22, 2024, 01:32 AM.
Working...
X