X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My week of film

MY STAR WARS WEEK

September 28 – October 4, 2020

As I chose not to attend Cinesea 21 I decided to have my own film weekend at home. Instead of three days it went a little more than one week. But it was a lot of fun, and the goal was to celebrate the joy of film at the same time it was being done at the Shalimar.

I began with Star Wars Rogue One several months back on DVD. This movie started the Sci-Fi festival on Tuesday nights. Each week, I picked a contender from my collection and screened it. It has included 2001, A Space Odyssey and its sequel 2010 the year we make contact. And I have gone as far back as Buck Rogers Conquers the Universe and the Forbidden Planet. Not to mention Spielberg’s ET the Extra Terrestrial.

But as for the last seven days….

STAR WARS A NEW HOPE
    STAR WARS THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
    WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT? ^
    STAR WARS RETURN OF THE JEDI
    STAR WARS THE FORCE AWAKENS *
    STAR WARS THE LAST JEDI *

To fill the 1st big reel on Jedi, I added Trail Mix Up Roger Rabbit short (in scope). I always try and fill the reels to manage lamp life. I won’t cover this today but you can ask me for more detail about that.

I squeezed the Roger Rabbit feature between the two Star Wars features and to open Jedi I also ran Tummy Trouble and Rollercoaster Rabbit. By doing this I was able to see all FOUR Roger Rabbit – Baby Herman cartoon shorts in the order of original theatrical release. The very first short being “Something’s Cooking” at the start of the Roger Rabbit feature.

And I am not through yet. While some of these films have nothing to do with sci-fi, they do happen to be part of the overall collection. The next four movies are all one-hour digests and are in one complete program….

GREMLINS
    MESSAGE FROM SPACE
    STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE
    SUPERMAN II

Going down memory lane I remember the 38 years I was lucky enough to have the theater in my parent’s basement. They were so happy that I was content watching films, rather than out on the town and at risk for getting in trouble. I was always a good kid, but they did not want me to be at the wrong place at the wrong time, etc. etc.

But now that I am in my own home and have a front room dedicated to Cinema, I am so spoiled to have gotten this far. Every title in my collection I have seen at least once, back in the basement. But now, seeing them again in the beautiful room I have created is like seeing them all for the first time.

Thank you for reading if you have come this far!

For the love of film at home! ALWAYS!

^ As a double feature with Return of the Jedi

(*) DVD projection
    Everything else strictly Super 8

😊

Last edited by Chip Gelmini; October 05, 2020, 10:03 AM.
Working...
X