Elmo GS-1200 Xenon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elmo GS-1200 Xenon

Yesterday at a flea market in Japan I picked up a like-new projector. It appears to be working. Where can I buy Super 8 movies? What should I be careful of?

Steve

Independent 8 here in the UK have hundreds of Super 8 films for sale.
    Click below :-
    http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/vbb/fo...sts-now-online

Maurice

Comment

Steve....Let's get this right......you just casually walked into a bog standard flea market in Japan and spotted the Holy Grail for sale? Not only was it the Holy Grail but the Holy Grail's Holy Grail ? And it worked!

This must surely be the find on the century so far! Well done, although I don't envy you replacing the bulb when the time comes. I just hope you got it at a fair price.

If you are based in Japan, maybe our colleague Jason Smith could advise you of the super 8 sources there as he is based there too.

Comment

Steve, are you aware that the lens on your projector is intended for a large room (as the projector itself by the way) ? If the distance between your projector and your screen is far enough, it's perfect, if not, you can look for a "domestic" lens.

Comment

How much did it cost ?

Comment

I paid about $65.

Comment

Thanks so much for any info about this find. I usually buy and sell old guitars and musical stuff but this caught my eye. It actually wasn't a flea market but a recycling place where old thing go to be scrapped. I brought it home and checked it out and it is clean and still has unused swabs and a polishing cloth in its original bag. I don't see my future as a movie guy but I did order The Mysterious Dr.Satan Super 8 from eBay and hope to show it on the side of my house before I sell it. I put it on Japan Yahoo auction for ¥250000. about $2200. Too much or too little? https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e422078246
              I hope this doesn't break any forum rules. Please delete this if it is inappropriate.

Comment

I was looking for a Godzilla film! To freak out the neighbors!

Comment

I understand this is an extraordinary piece of kit and I'm in no way set up to understand or to enjoy it so I came here in hope that someone here could buy it or talk some sense into me about it.

Comment

Trade me an old guitar for it!

Comment

Congrats. That is one nice machine and even nicer is the price paid. So selling it in Japan, I think the price is too high. When they sell over there they can sell anywhere from $200 to around $700. That price that you listed it at is the price people were paying for it a few years back in the USA. Japan never had high sales on Super 8 even the Xenon, the best version of the Elmo GS1200. There is a flipper over in Japan who buys standard GS1200's and things for around $200-400 and then tries to sell them here in the US for $2300! https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Mint-i...AAAOSwlTBdwAME
                      But he probably won't bid on your machine since there is no room for profit.
                      That machine even when looking in new condition as that one is, will still need some maintenance. There are gears in the arms that always fail eventually-they crack so that will need to be done at some point. The electronics don't like to sit for some time and since it was about to be donated for scrap, most likely the machine has not been used in years, so the switches need to be cleaned, its a lot of work to check it out to be asking top dollar.
                      And then of course you have to make sure the Xenon bulb is working properly. Generally when the lamp is switched on, if it strikes immediately then the lamp is probably good. But if there is a clicking sound or it takes a few strikes to light, then the lamp is about to go. One thing about the machine is that the Xenon machine is designed so that once the bulb is lit, you should keep it on till the show is over. Do not turn it off in between reels and then put another reel on and then turn the lamp on. It will shorten the life of the lamp and they are not cheap and are hard to find.
                      If you aren't a collector and don't like to get under the 'hood' of Super 8 projectors,( its not fun), you should sell it so someone who loves film and can handle the repairs that might come their way with this great machine. As far as price, let the auction run, you never know! It could sell but if it doesn't you should try to sell it on Ebay but unless you can tell the purchasing party that it is working 100% as far as you can tell, you might not get the price you want for it. But you will definitely get more than $65 no matter which platform you sell on! Good luck!

Comment

Melvin, Dominique, Alan, Thank you for your kind responses! What an interesting passion you all have!

Comment

Steve Rollinson, you have won the lottery! The xenon bulb alone is worth more than you paid. The person that disposed of this did not know its value and you have averted the tragedy of it being destroyed. In Europe on eBay this would achieve anything above $1500 US dollars even if it has issues. Good luck with using it and have fun and if you want to move it on, put it on eBay!

Comment

Says something about the value of projectors today to the outside world.
                            I found a new Sankyo in a Kent charity shop a couple of years ago in its plastic internal wrapping £25. Gave them 50 for it worth every penny and hopefully did a bit of good for someone. Was a nice find as it had the Vic Oddens sticker over the top as when I purchased my Sank 800 new.
                            Going a bit off topic some UK old hands may remember when Vic decided to leave cine dealership with the onslaught of video and those Sankyo projectors were heavily discounted 40 years ago. It was a golden time for anyone into cine wanted a pop machine at a lower price. I got a phone call before they sent the projector offering me a Sankyo 620 camera to go with it 'We only have 2 left' the chap said. Memories...

Comment

Lee

Just looking at Movie Maker February 1982. Vic Odden was offering a brand new Sankyo 702 for (only) £144.95. His comment was "This is better than the best 'grey' price we have seen at the time of going to press! Buy while stocks last".

In the same issue, Rank Video Library were advertising films for hire on VHS tape, such as "Cabaret" and "The Wild Geese".

Maurice

Comment

Working...
                              X