Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yashica SU-40E: Is there an easy way to work out the filter size without calipers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yashica SU-40E: Is there an easy way to work out the filter size without calipers?

Hi,

I don't seem to be able to find a manual, or anything close to the sort on the internet for this camera. Therefore I'm a little stumped. Maybe someone can give me a quick answer before I have to dig out the calipers and work it out for myself. There are no markers on the front element at all to indicate what the filter size is for this camera. I assume it's something around 45mm... But Film Korn doesn't want to help me with that either.
    1. What is the filter thread size for a Yashica Super 40 Electronic?

As you say dig out the calipers is the best bet.
    Filter sizes usually have a series of almost standard sizes i.e. 40.5mm -43 -46- 49 -52- 55-58mm. But there are allways the exception!

For a guess yours 46mm.
    Do you have a lens cap? sometimes on the inside is marked the filter size.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Dennis View Post
      Do you have a lens cap? sometimes on the inside is marked the filter size.
      Unfortunately when I bought this thing it didn't come with a lens cap, or any reference point to anything, and the internet including Film Korn and the Super 8 Wiki haven't been any more useful. I just need to find where my calipers are and report back.

I suspect it will be 46mm but I need to measure it first.

Comment

It should be 49 mm. That's the size I use on my Yashica 60E which is like the camera you are using. I think all these Yashicas used the same lens size.

Comment

Originally posted by Orestes Roumeliotis View Post
          Hi,

I don't seem to be able to find a manual, or anything close to the sort on the internet for this camera.
          I have the manual for mine. I can make a copy for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Bickford View Post
            I have the manual for mine. I can make a copy for you.
            Hi Dave, if you could make a PDF copy or something that would be great.

Originally posted by Shane C. Collins View Post
            It should be 49 mm. That's the size I use on my Yashica 60E which is like the camera you are using. I think all these Yashicas used the same lens size.
            ​Hi Shane, the 60E was practically the same type of camera, they look identical for most intents and purposes. I wouldn't be surprised if you were completely correct.

Comment

I scanned the user manual to PDF, but the file is apparently too large and this site refused to let me upload it. File size is 2.83 MB. Tiny by today's standards. But anyway...I tried. I have the file if you want it, but apparently I'll have to share it by other means.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Bickford View Post
                I scanned the user manual to PDF, but the file is apparently too large and this site refused to let me upload it. File size is 2.83 MB. Tiny by today's standards. But anyway...I tried. I have the file if you want it, but apparently I'll have to share it by other means.
                I do appreciate it I've DMed you my email (should you want to flick it over to me). I think otherwise you can use a simple uploader such as https://easyupload.io/ or alternatively some place like dropbox.com if you have an account and want to share a link. I would appreciate it.

Comment

So I got around to taking some photos showing the lens on my Yashica 60E, and the 49 mm ND filter I use. Here's the measurements, hopefully these photos will be of some help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	original_77c6b0da-346d-4c7f-8f22-7b25b3c9e202_PXL_20230324_003603863.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	77187
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	original_4c79a67b-4b5d-4454-9a6d-5e4adf0ea4a6_PXL_20230324_003507890.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	77186

Comment

So I got around to taking some photos showing the lens on my Yashica 60E, and the 49 mm ND filter I use. Here's the measurements, hopefully these photos will be of some help.

Thanks for your work Shane. It's certainly useful information.

Dave also got around to sending me a copy of the manual for the Super 40. I thought I'd go one step further and paste it up here for everyone else. It's previewable and downloadable without any spam, or viruses and good for archiving as there isn't much information about these cameras online beyond the basics on Film Korn.

The manual itself seems to be more aimed at beginner film users, but still that's a valid resource in itself, where, especially even for something like understanding frame speeds, it's super important to know when to use 12, 18 and 24fps, and why its important, as well as back and fill light.

Even if I may know what those settings are for, it doesn't mean someone else doesn't. Not to mention all the different run settings because in case you haven't forgotten film, at least here in Australia is worth $50 AUD so you're paying a dollar for each foot your using at 50ft, and I'm not gonna remind people how eye wateringly expensive it is, even if you were trying to make a movie on Super 8 film these days.

Somehow the other day one of my cameras got stuck on run lock, and I was like .... NO NO NO NO NO NO! 😂 Hmmm.... It's pretty much the same model as your camera Shane, so that manual may even be useful for some of the features of your own camera.

​​
                    Last edited by Orestes Roumeliotis; March 23, 2023, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your work Shane. It's certainly useful information.

Dave also got around to sending me a copy of the manual for the Super 40. I thought I'd go one step further and paste it up here for everyone else. It's previewable and downloadable without any spam, or viruses and good for archiving as there isn't much information about these cameras online beyond the basics on Film Korn.

The manual itself seems to be more aimed at beginner film users, but still that's a valid resource in itself, where, especially even for something like understanding frame speeds, it's super important to know when to use 12, 18 and 24fps, and why its important, as well as back and fill light.

Even if I may know what those settings are for, it doesn't mean someone else doesn't. Not to mention all the different run settings because in case you haven't forgotten film, at least here in Australia is worth $50 AUD so you're paying a dollar for each foot your using at 50ft, and I'm not gonna remind people how eye wateringly expensive it is, even if you were trying to make a movie on Super 8 film these days.

Somehow the other day one of my cameras got stuck on run lock, and I was like .... NO NO NO NO NO NO! 😂 Hmmm.... It's pretty much the same model as your camera Shane, so that manual may even be useful for some of the features of your own camera.

​​
                      Very nice, and thanks for sharing. I actually have the manual which came with the camera and case. I also have a color brochure for the 40E and 60E. I'll try to scan that here soon, and upload it to my Google Drive. It's a nice brochure that shares all the features of these two cameras.
                      Last edited by Shane C. Collins; March 24, 2023, 08:33 AM.

Comment

I scanned that brochure, and here's a link to my Google Drive.

​​​​​​https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...usp=share_link

Comment

Thanks Shane.

Comment

Thanks Shane.
                            You are welcome Orestes! Let me know that it worked OK?

Comment

You are welcome Orestes! Let me know that it worked OK?
                              I just sent a couple of cartridges off to Nanolab, they're basically the main game in town in Australia for getting super 8 processed. Their turn around time without a rush job is about 14days at the moment. I'll let you know what I get back in a couple of weeks. Given that I don't want to send content overseas (risk of x-ray fog especially with the new CT scanners at airports, and in general that a CT scanner will destroy even a 50 speed film) we don't really have many choices here in Australia unless I want to do Ektachrome in process E6 and develop at home, but it's a mugs game, and I'd rather not develop by reel by hand especially when I have a pro lab in my area.

Comment

Working...
                              X