Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yashica SU-40E: Is there an easy way to work out the filter size without calipers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Orestes Roumeliotis View Post

I just sent a couple of cartridges off to Nanolab, they're basically the main game in town in Australia for getting super 8 processed. Their turn around time without a rush job is about 14days at the moment. I'll let you know what I get back in a couple of weeks. Given that I don't want to send content overseas (risk of x-ray fog especially with the new CT scanners at airports, and in general that a CT scanner will destroy even a 50 speed film) we don't really have many choices here in Australia unless I want to do Ektachrome in process E6 and develop at home, but it's a mugs game, and I'd rather not develop by reel by hand especially when I have a pro lab in my area.
    That's a shame you can't get the current Ektachrome processed over there, it's such a beautiful film, especially projected! I'm lucky to have so many labs to choose from over here in the States. Most of them will do both color and B&W reversal films. In a couple weeks I am planning to shoot some Tri-X indoors at my brother-in-law's. I did this a few years back using 4 vintage halogen lights mounted on a movie light bracket. I lit my kitchen like the sun was shining. When it came back from processing, and I projected the movie, the results were awesome! Every scene was properly exposed, and not many shadows. I placed the light bar high up on a counter to bounce the light off the ceiling. It worked perfectly! I now know why all those kids and adults were squinting their eyes indoors, back in the day, as those lights are very bright. When I shot my first film like this a few years ago, I told everyone not to squint, and it made the film look more natural. Anyways I am rambling now. I look forward to hearing about your films when they return from the lab.

Comment

The only way to get E6 processed here is done in cross process (ECN2 chems) unfortunately Richard (the person who runs Nanolabs) just wasn't getting enough orders for E6 to make the processing costs viable for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Orestes Roumeliotis View Post
        The only way to get E6 processed here is done in cross process (ECN2 chems) unfortunately Richard (the person who runs Nanolabs) just wasn't getting enough orders for E6 to make the processing costs viable for him.
        Yeah that makes sense! Still a bummer though as many shooters over there are missing out on the nice colors, and sharpness of 100D on screen!

Comment

Bringing this old thread back to life with new information. I just checked the back of the lens cap on my Super 40E and it states 45mm.

Edit: A quick Google search seems to indicate 46mm is the closest size commonly available.

Edit #2: Are we talking inside thread, or outside friction fit?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1650.jpg Views:	0 Size:	167.1 KB ID:	84854
          Last edited by Dave Bickford; August 02, 2023, 01:14 PM.

Comment

If the lens cap says 45mm then the filter thread is 43mm.

Comment

Originally posted by John Bakker View Post
              If the lens cap says 45mm then the filter thread is 43mm.
              Confirmed: I just received a ND filter for my Super 40E and 43mm is indeed the correct size. Perfect fit!
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1666.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.5 KB ID:	85569

Comment

With ND filter on.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1668.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.7 KB ID:	85682

Comment

Working...
                X