New Super 8 film prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Super 8 film prices

I have just seen a Christmas trailer reel on ebay which includes an Odeon intro, Scrooge 1970 trailer, Last Christmas trailer and a message from Santa which sounds like a good combination. However, the buy it now price is a whopping £224 ! For a 200’ reel. This is ridiculous. How can anyone warrant paying so much for so little. Buy four and get out £1000!

Ho Ho Ho.

To be fair the opening bid is 160 Pounds. These are Lee Mannering's auctions. And they are new. Doing film these days is expensive especially doing a negative and takes many sales to break even.

Comment

It seems so unfair,but it's not Lee's fault. This is the way it is, these are the costs of doing prints in this day and age. The downside is the high prices turn off a lot of young or new to the hobby collectors, but the upside is, amazingly, we actually have brand new prints, in a digital world, so thank you to Lee, Steve and all others that have the temerity and the incredible patience, to get these prints made today!

Comment

Steve Osborne asked me to mention that he's currently having a special sale on Christmas Ads & Trailers Volume 4​ at a price of $124.00. Check out The Reel Image website.

Comment

Originally posted by Osi Osgood View Post
          It seems so unfair,but it's not Lee's fault. This is the way it is, these are the costs of doing prints in this day and age. The downside is the high prices turn off a lot of young or new to the hobby collectors, but the upside is, amazingly, we actually have brand new prints, in a digital world, so thank you to Lee, Steve and all others that have the temerity and the incredible patience, to get these prints made today!
          In fact in this today's digital world, printing film is becoming much cheaper. We no longer need the negative (which is the most expensive cost in production) but digital file. There is already a machine doing this. Print that file to unperforated 16mm, slit it and boom.., you got two set of film. No one will complain the source is digital file as long as it is projected, colorful and sharp. Only the purist will do.

This is almost similar case in the vinyl record making process now, we don't need a master stamper anymore. It can be done custom made for only a vinyl. The source can be taken from a CD, and again no one will care but the purist.

cheers,
          winbert

Comment

Winbert,

I'm not sure your information is correct, at least when it comes to recent releases. Every one of Mr. Baker's releases that were sourced digitally had a negative struck.

Comment

I know that in the 16mm world they are printing up new 16mm prints direct from DVD’s or digital files and not having to go the route of making a negative. Not sure why you would want a 16mm print taken from a Digital Medium.. kind of defeats the purpose of watching film since if you are going that route the digital media will always be better but to each their own. In fact a print of “Halloween” in 16mm created from a digital file sold on Ebay for around 5k I believe. Of course the actual 16mm prints created from a negative from the 70’s will be all faded.

Comment

Pretty much all movies released on 35mm from the late 00's up until digital projection took over was from a digital intermediate, so technically from a digital source.
                I think there is a lot of potential in printing to s8mm from digital, although it will always be a slower process than high-speed printing from a negative on an optical printer, which produces 2 prints per pass. It also doesn't help that Kodak doesn't produce s8mm positive print film so larger gauge stock has to be perforated by a third party, which along with the post-stripe and recording adds to the total cost. 16mm doesn't have this issue

Comment

... so, except in rare cases, nearly EVERY film print seen today, whether super 8mm, 16mm or 35mm, will be sourced from digital, whether from a negative or not. Once again, it's the fun of still having brand new Super 8 to mess with! That, and, whether sourced from digital file or negative from digital file, super 8 looks better than it ever has before, as a general rule.

Comment

Just to clarify, all Super 8mm releases (digitally sourced or not) from The Reel Image, Dave, Adam & Lee are printed using a negative. Tests have been done bypassing the negative stage and doing a straight digital to film transfer and the results are not as good.

Comment

I have to say, with all due respect, that I have seen Phillips "JAWS" 200ft digest, ( really good edit, by the way ), projected on my home screen, and while it is a slight step down in being extremely sharp like the Andec prints, it also has a more saturated color spectrum, and didn't have a single "smear" to the print, nor any problems with the mag stripe or sound. That is from eye witnessing the print myself. Andec prints, while sourced from a negative, usually sourced from a digital file, have had MORE than they're fair share of issues, so let us not proclaim the "glorious" Andec prints too gloriously. Don't get me wrong, as I own quite few Andec prints, both new titles and old, and glad to have them, but most of them have come with a plethora of issues.

Comment

Working...
                      X