Wolverine post processing result

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolverine post processing result

Hi, I've got a clone of the Wolverine Film to Digital (not the Pro version). After hanging around here for a while I came up with a simple AviSynth script for basic post processing and would like to share the result, also asking a couple of things.
    I initially wanted to try the scripts by John Mayer from the doom9.org forum, which are derived from the famous scripts by VideoFred. But when trying them the processed video preview was so slow that it was unusable, tweaking the parameters was impossible. Probably because I do not have a very powerful computer, and I also possibly did not install the optimal 64 bit and multithread versions of AviSynth and plugins. Anyway, the frames I could check did not show much improvement in colors etc with the default values. So I proceeded with my simpler script.

Here is a composite movie showing my result together with the source and intermediate steps:
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!AvUbNY8EUpdMhKg7ecqH3ACvq5Hojw
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Wolverine post compare.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	26135
    It is composed by excerpts from two different reels.

Top left #1 is the original Wolverine output, just scaled down to match the height of the cropped version; I scaled it proportionally, the aspect ratio is wrong because it is wrong in the original output. It clearly shows the "jumping frames" periodic jitter issue I'm having with my unit, which I talk about in the Hawkeye thread in this forum, and which I did not solve yet.
    Top right #2 is after jitter stabilization thanks to a script by Mattias Norberg which stabilizes trying to keep sprocket holes in a fixed position (https://8mmforum.film-tech.com/vbb/f...ge56#post14416), and also after cropping and correcting the aspect ratio (I multiply the height for 1.096, a value found out empirically ). There is some black border added left and right of #1 and #2 to match the width of the other clips.
    Bottom left #3 is after color correction, plus a blur and resharpen pass to remove some of the digital noise and artifacts in the Wolverine video. I know this can't do miracles, but I find the result much more enjoyable and less "digital", and it seems the loss of detail is negligible.
    Bottom right #4 is #3 plus camera stabilisation using only the related part from John Mayer's script. I think stabilisation is great in some scenes, and it also removes some leftover jitter from the Wolverine scan, but I generally prefer keeping version #3 because I like original camera shake after all, and also because I like to keep some of the movie area between sprocket holes, but for the stabilisation to work on camera shake you need to completely crop out the holes so the area on the left is lost.

Some scenes in the second part (the baseball matches) are really dark and I doubt much more can be done, I'm afraid there's no more detail in the original film either.

I mostly have two regrets on my result:
    1. The sharpen pass creates sharp artifacts on the top and bottom borders. Maybe I can work around this by simply cropping a bit more, but I would prefer avoiding it.
    2. I think the green color is mostly missing. I would expect it to be more present, for example in the bushes and trees at the beginning; it's true that it was summer and the vegetation was probably much dry, bit I think some more green should be there. I was not able to recover it without spoiling other parts of the picture.
    Any comments or ideas?
    Thanks!
Working...
X