Clear All

• Steve Klare
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5354[1].jpg
Views:	258
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	89085

I love the oil-change service at the Honda Dealership where I bought my Civic: it costs about half what Jiffy-Lube costs. The thing is, while they have your car on the lift, there is some pretty serious interrogation going on! If they find they don't like the radio stations you've chosen, they'll quote you a pretty princely sum to "fix" them! This time the shoe that was waiting to drop, just about when I was expecting it, was that one of my rear brake calipers was pretty much stuck. I appreciate the warning (-especially since it was actually true...), but the thing is they wanted basically what our original mortgage payment was to fix it!

Brakes and I are not strangers (They and the plumbing in our house are my two greatest nemeses!): back in my twenties I was kind of a hot-rodder and changed my car from four-wheel drum to power front disk, so I dealt with this one myself! I brought that house payment down to less than what this one's car-payment used to be!

Projects like this are dirty, uncomfortable, tiring work. There is a great deal of standing up and getting down. The bolts that need to be removed are often hiding in dark, poorly accessible places requiring all sorts of gymnastics with the breaker bar and torque wrench to get them off and then back on. In this case they have been underneath a car for 130,000 miles and were pretty solidly rusted in place, too.

There is often some kind of surprise. Today, I found out one of my new calipers was missing the bracket for the parking brake. Of course the old caliper had one, but by the time I found this out the old caliper wasn't mounted to the car anymore and breaking those 10 year old bolts was almost impossible. I performed this really awful maneuver involving the trailer hitch on another one of my cars and a half-inch drive socket wrench extension and a great deal of grunting and the temptation towards really foul thoughts and words that finally succeeded in busting those bolts loose. NONE of my Junior-High shop teachers should ever, EVER know! (They would be crushed!)

Tonight, my garage floor is covered with sockets and ratchets and open-end wrenches that aren't back in the nice slots the DeWalt folks provided for them in their case: I got the car back on four wheels, it goes AND stops! -and will deal with this mess tomorrow! (I basically shoveled 'em all inside and closed the door: ENOUGH!)

By the way: If you wonder why is takes a couple of weeks to do CineSea in Pictures: this is an excellent example! (Life often gets in the way.) The good news is now that I've gotten my hands clean again, I can get back to that!

Leave a comment:

• Lincoln Thorn
    replied
    This year's Halloween mask will be a howling time! I'd like you to meet my alter ego... The Lincanthrope!!

Name:	IMG_21362.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	89039

Leave a comment:

• Graham Ritchie
    replied
    They had a special day at the "Ferrymead Historic Park" today, steam train running an all that. But I am now exhausted, it was full on running the Westar and giving film away, one youngster suggested very politely, that I needed more seats. I totally agree was my reply. I lost track the number of times I threaded up the Westar, but one thing for sure, the look of fascination for 35mm film being projected, is still there and the same as when I worked at Movieland so many moons ago. The projector I should add ran a treat for close to four hours. The 20 minute edited version of "The Dolphin Tale" plus one trailer I made up, went down really well, plus no shortage of volunteers to hand rewind the film, I was more than happy to let them do that to.

The adults and kids visiting the place were all really good and were having a great time visiting the park, I did take a couple of photo's the other day when trying things out.

Name:	vlcsnap-2023-10-19-23h04m27s341.png
Views:	253
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	89005

Name:	vlcsnap-2023-10-22-21h29m47s023.png
Views:	237
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	89006

Name:	vlcsnap-2023-10-22-21h23m52s255.png
Views:	234
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	89007

Leave a comment:

• Ed Gordon
    replied
    Originally posted by Douglas Meltzer View Post
    Click image for larger version Name:	Halloween Bldgs 1 - 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	226.8 KB ID:	88712

It's that time of year...

Here is some music for the season: https://www.thescore.org/creature-features/

Leave a comment:

• Douglas Meltzer
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Halloween Bldgs 1 - 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	226.8 KB ID:	88712

It's that time of year...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Halloween Bldgs 2 - 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	219.1 KB ID:	88713

Click image for larger version  Name:	Halloween Bldgs 3 - 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	125.1 KB ID:	88714

Click image for larger version  Name:	Halloween Bldgs 6 - 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	256.8 KB ID:	88715

Click image for larger version  Name:	Halloween Bldgs 7 - 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	214.8 KB ID:	88716

Click image for larger version  Name:	Halloween Bldgs 9 - 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	196.3 KB ID:	88717

Leave a comment:

• Graham Ritchie
    replied
    Hi Doug

Its really very clever, Lego have done a brilliant job, I understand its one of there popular sellers out here with Lego fans, although in saying that, Lego has a huge range of very interesting product. Steven and his son Connor, are the ones in our family that can sit for hours, putting together Jigsaws and Lego, where as my daughter April is very much like me with this stuff, we are more in a confused state, so Steven and Connor are the ones

I have taken a few photos of the assembly book that comes with it with more details. I am impressed with the multi plane camera and "The Old Mill" in it

Name:	P1340516.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	88669

Name:	P1340517.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	88670

Name:	P1340519.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	88671

Name:	P1340518.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	243.9 KB
ID:	88672

Name:	P1340520.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	88673

Name:	P1340521.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	88674

Leave a comment:

• Douglas Meltzer
    replied
    Graham,

Looks terrific! The other side is also pretty interesting.

Click image for larger version  Name:	legocam.webp Views:	0 Size:	204.4 KB ID:	88653

Leave a comment:

• Graham Ritchie
    replied
    We were looking through some Lego last week and came across this in the store, so we just had to have it. Steven came round as he is right into Lego and put it together .

Name:	P1340510.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	88648

Leave a comment:

• Graham Ritchie
    replied
    I was given some old "Movie Maker" magazines last week, although I have most of them already they were still a good read, with some copies I don't have, so while the platter was doing its thing loading up one reel at a time, I was sitting with my feet up reading and listing to some music at the same time, timing my check up on the platter loading of "ET" every so often. I have added "The Polar Express" and "Where The Wild Things Are" trailers just for fun and a turn your cell phone off as well. .

Name:	P1340511.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	88621

Name:	P1340512.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	88622

Name:	P1340513.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	88623

Name:	P1340514.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	88624

Leave a comment:

• Ed Gordon
    replied
    Originally posted by Lincoln Thorn View Post
    While doing some library research from the digital archive of my local paper I noticed a fun ad from October 1980!
    That's $750 in today's prices

Leave a comment:

• Lincoln Thorn
    replied
    While doing some library research from the digital archive of my local paper I noticed a fun ad from October 1980!

Name:	Page 24 of Georgetown News And Times,published in Georgetown, Kentucky on Thursday, October 22nd, 1981(1).jpg
Views:	150
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	88591

Leave a comment:

• Douglas Meltzer
    replied
    I went to the Lincoln Square multiplex to see the re-release of Stop Making Sense. The downstairs theatre is one I rarely go to, however I do like their wall decorations!

Click image for larger version  Name:	LLoyd Lincoln Square - 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	110.0 KB ID:	88185

Leave a comment:

• Ed Gordon
    replied

Name:	Photography.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	88016

Leave a comment:

• Ken Finch
    replied
    I am rather surprised you did not come across the ghost of my past! For many years I lived at Culverstone, near Meopham and then at Coxheath, near Maidstone. Have visited Leeds Castle many times for various events. My wife actually did night duty as a nurse to Lady Bailie for a while and advised them recently about the decor of the rooms when it was set up as it was in the time of her ladyship. This is the set up that you have seen. It truly is a beautiful place.😊

Leave a comment:

• Melvin England
    replied

On Friday, it was a visit to the beautiful Leeds Castle in Kent. About 3 miles from Maidstone, 35 miles south east of London...... and about 250 miles south east of the city of Leeds !! (work that one out!!)

Name:	20230929_122856.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	87872

I wandered into Lady Baillie's Boudoir !

It looks like she was expecting me.......................................

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230929_132131.jpg Views:	3 Size:	119.7 KB ID:	87865

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230929_132113.jpg Views:	3 Size:	111.1 KB ID:	87864

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230929_132212.jpg Views:	3 Size:	92.7 KB ID:	87867
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Melvin England; October 01, 2023, 04:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X