Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daniel Macarone
    replied
    Steve, your fireplace screen has a longer throw distance than in any place I've ever lived in and even though it's small, it's all yours! Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays.

Leave a comment:

• Lee Mannering
    replied
    Good luck Steve.
    In the 80's I hatched a cunning plan. We had a large cupboard at the back of the lounge which was more of a small room really then knocked a projection port hole thru the adjoining wall making a pretty timber frame work. I concealed the hole with a picture and made a equipment rack for machines and sound system. Then I put in a full timber bar for parties...as you do and popcorn maker. It was something else! My wife knew nothing of this till we invited friends for the first show when I revealed the tidy hole, oh and I had also put a 35mm GBN projector against the back wall. It was a hilarious unveiling ceremony and much rejoicing took place. The silly things we do for the love of film and entertainment.

Pal of mine in Yorkshire UK converted his cellar in a 1800's property to a fisherman's theme including a small boat, like me a Titanic film nut. He kept his film collection shelved in the boat.
    Brilliant memories which we should really lay on paper perhaps in Reel Image magazine.

Miss that GBN projector it used to leak oil like mad and shake the floor but was so much fun.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Klare
    replied
    -actually I'm seeking a political solution.

The new den is so wonderful, maybe I can get my wife to watch TV downstairs full time and enjoy my 92" wide screen upstairs at will! The new furniture is ever so comfortable!

Negotiation is ongoing (-it's marriage, after all!), given the right tone, maybe I can get this and a Lasagna before Christmas too! (...yet, at what cost?!)

Wish me luck!

Leave a comment:

• Paul Adsett
    replied
    Well done Steve, nice cosy set up. Looking at your pics I think you might have room to mount a scope screen that would roll down in front of your present screen and out far enough to clear the front of those side shelf units.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Klare
    replied
    Hi Brian

It's a 4.5(ish)x6(ish) foot screen: basically what the space would allow. It's been sitting around waiting for this renovation to take place

This is pretty much an auxiliary: it's good for Academy formatted films, 'scope would not prosper down there. There is no sound system either. This was where I first showed films in this house, but I abandoned this space years ago when I discovered a really great throw (-up to 30 Feet!) upstairs through the back porch/dining room/living room and into a screen mounted in the front window. For years afterwards the den was Thomas the Tank Engine, then Wii, then X-box. (He's in college now, so we have re-conquered it!)

I have this ragtag collection of spare home electronic equipment that is the beginning of some kind of audio entertainment system. What it lacks to really get going is an amp and speakers (-kinda critical deficiency!) On top of that, If I was to pipe projector sound through this non-existent system, I'd need a now non-existant interface. The one I have upstairs I built on a vector board from components, so I don't see this happening overnight.

Hi Janice,

The throw is limited here: it's the width of the room, so maybe 20 feet maximum. We have my Mom's antique Singer treadle sewing machine: it will sit in back of a couch facing the screen and the projector will sit on top of the (closed) case. When there are no projectors it will just look nice! (Stealth Cinema!)

Now: this is a spit level, so theoretically I could gain another maybe 8 feet of throw by projecting through the staircase also facing the screen, it's just there's something unsavory about projecting from the floor!

Leave a comment:

• Brian Fretwell
    replied
    From the number of bricks in the fireplace I'd guess that it is a 6ft square screen part pulled down.

Leave a comment:

• Janice Glesser
    replied
    That screen fits perfectly Steve! What size is it and where and how are your placing your projector? What is the throw length?

Leave a comment:

• Graham Ritchie
    replied
    Very nice Steve

Leave a comment:

• Steve Klare
    replied
    Thanks!

The funny thing is, this turns out to be basically an 8mm Theater first and foremost. The throw is too short to allow my 16mm machine and its fixed focal length lens to fill the screen and the acoustics of the room (mostly hard surfaces) favor quieter transport mechanisms.

-of course, since the real sound system lives upstairs, I'm operating unplugged when I'm down there.

What to do?
    What to do?!

Leave a comment:

• Ali Hipperson
    replied
    Look great Steve - so now you have your very own multi-plex! 😉

Leave a comment:

• Steve Klare
    replied
    We have this thing that keeps happening here:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Demo_thumbnail_IMG_2730.jpg Views:	0 Size:	119.8 KB ID:	22282

-it's called "Home Improvement", but that doesn't cover all the Home Destruction that comes with it too! There's all the dust and the banging and the dumpster in the driveway (-in MY parking space too!). Sure, it's worth it in the long term, but it's hard to convince yourself of this when you're combing plaster dust out of the cat!

I have this dumb habit I keep falling into. I have a job: I'm supposed to be able to go to work during the day. If something nasty is happening back at the house, I go to my nice, organized job and enjoy the serenity! This often fails me when I need it the most. We did this huge remodeling downstairs about 11 years ago where by the time we got done losing the area being worked on and storing the displaced furniture, "home" was reduced to three bedrooms and the bathroom with a microwave on a table out in the hall. We had to run the power cord through the bathroom door, so we couldn't cook and...you know at the same time! The refrigerator was in the living room in an area not directly accessible from upstairs. In order to get to it we had to go down two flights and out the back door and then run around the house!

-of course in the middle of this I became unemployed for two months and had to live in this disaster 24/7! (GOOD times!)

Well, it's 11 years later and I still have the new job, but times being what they are I'm working from home.

-so, of course we re-did the den!

I decided while I was at at, I'd make sure to put my mark on the results.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Without_thumbnail_IMG_2816.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.5 KB ID:	22283

Meet Theater II!

Click image for larger version  Name:	With_thumbnail_IMG_2817.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.0 KB ID:	22284

-because sometimes the dining room is ONLY for dining!

Warning:
    Have a fire, watch a film: don't do both!

Leave a comment:

• Ali Hipperson
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ali Hipperson
    replied
    At last I finally have had my bespoke Film Storage-Unit installed! 😊

I've also had a few extra shelves put up in the alcove which acts as an editing-booth/maintenance and doubles-up as a Two-Projector set-up.... pictures to follow.

Leave a comment:

• Ali Hipperson
    replied
    Thanks Lee and everyone else and will do 👍

Ali.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Taffis
    replied
    I also use the daylight blocker panels, they work very well...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X