Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lee Mannering
    replied
    Ali I use a ultra white blackout blind for daily projection.
    when showing scope films a hang a 8ft screen over the front of it. Since doing various upgrades we've had lots more film day shows it's been a god send.

People are really inventive. I remember one guy who had a cupboard over a staircase. He knocked a projection port thru one end and made a door on the side of the wall housing projectors inside. We used to sit on his landing watching films on his white wall.

Keep the pictures coming fascinating.

Leave a comment:

• Ali Hipperson
    replied
    Hi Martin and many thanks for the information - I'm looking into these as well 😊

Ali.

Leave a comment:

• Martin Davey
    replied
    I purchased daylight blocking blinds from Ikea. Perfect. I can watch films on a summers afternoon with no problem and they look neat.

Leave a comment:

• Ali Hipperson
    replied
    Many thanks for the advice Chip 😊

I'll need to find something like that as then I can project during the day too and before it gets too late at night!

Ali.

Leave a comment:

• Chip Gelmini
    replied
    I tried the blackout panel curtains and they worked really well for me.

Instead of curtain rods and brackets - I used door frame material - the same as what yard sticks are made from - and slipped the wood into where the rod goes through the curtain loop. Then with a nail gun, I tacked them right against the wall. This eliminates any daylight from bleeding through. It was also tacked in down the sides as well as across the top. My goal was to make my living room dark enough for matinees. And it worked VERY good for the intended purpose.

Leave a comment:

• Ali Hipperson
    replied
    Hi Chip and many thanks!

It's taken me over 4yrs to finally have my own place so that I can start projecting my films again - but it has definitely been worth the wait 😊

The living/cinema-room is still a work in progress as it is due to have two bespoke film-storage units built and fitted onto a couple of the walls which will store my rather large collection of 8 + 16mm films and projectors; then it needs redecorating and then finally some decent blackout curtains as it is so light up here on the west coast of Scotland - even at 10pm!

When the room is finally finished, hopefully by the end of September, I will post some more pictures.

Ali.

Leave a comment:

• Ross Gibbs
    replied
    Awesome setups people!

Leave a comment:

• Chip Gelmini
    replied
    Hello Al

you are off to a great start never give up!

Leave a comment:

• Ali Hipperson
    replied
    Hi Doug and glad you like my set-up. When I was relocating and looking for a flat up here I wanted one of the traditional old tennament type flats that have big spacious rooms in them. The one I bought is just that and built in the early 1900's of proper stone construction.

My main criteria for purchasing such a property was that it had a big living-room that would give me a decent size throw when projecting my beloved films and at least one large bedroom that would cater for my other great hobby/passion - model railways 😊 Well the big bedroom is 15'x13' so plenty big enough for a decent size layout!

The alcove was just a bonus. It gives me about an 18' throw across to the bay window opposite, allows for a two-projector set-up, and doubles up as an area that can also house my Editing-Table and Film-Cleaning Table too!

I'm very lucky 😊

Ali

Leave a comment:

• Douglas Meltzer
    replied
    Ali,

Nice setup. Now I want a film alcove!

Doug

Leave a comment:

• Lee Mannering
    replied
    This is a great thread and moreover demonstrates how interesting and popular film is.
    excellent work all and fascinating images.

Leave a comment:

• Ali Hipperson
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ali Hipperson
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Paul Adsett
    replied
    Hi Lee, I really like the idea of organ music before the show, and 'live' organ music with the projectionist playing is even better!
    I do not have your musical talents, but I do have some video's of Phil Kelsall playing the Blackpool Tower Ballroom Wurlitzer organ and I will often play 10 mins or so of these before a home show as it really adds to the 'old cinema' showmanship and gets you in the mood for some great classic movies.

Leave a comment:

• Lee Mannering
    replied
    I've tried to eliminate as many wires as possible and save as much lifting as I can. This rack system we made from timber to size also with a paint job keeps everything in order.

My usual setup is as follows but I left space on the top to place a second projector if needed.
    Elmo GS1200 with 2 blade shutter.
    Splicers mounted on a board, gate brush & air duster.
    White gloves and technicians jacket 40's style projection.
    Hippodrome cinema tickets given at each show.
    Denon amplification.
    4K video projector.
    2 X 4K players one of which is all regions for BR. A/B etc
    Bottom shelf is a studio mixer/ HD-CD recorder. I store digital sound tracks on this for super 8 films and can play with the Elmo.
    I left space at the very bottom for the 16mm equipment.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LM my rack.jpg
Views:	758
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	11631

Oh and one Hammond organ I play for 10 minutes before a show, at the interval and sometimes for silent classics. Its capable of creating theatre organ sounds.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0002.JPG
Views:	689
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	11632

Leave a comment:

Working...
X